Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another alternative to highspeed broadband

Options
  • 14-10-2004 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Where some people plump for ISDN when they can't get DSL, would it be a good idea for the telco to offer leased fractional E1 (ISDN PRI) lines as an alternative in order to get speeds of 512kbps to 2Mbps? Maybe if it was priced attractively enough there might be sufficient interest.

Haven't thought it through but just thought I'd throw it in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

well taking into account current prices of approx 20k for a 1mb line, and eircons unwiillingness to change this...best of luck
    Nice idea though

I do believe talking to some eircom guys at the match last night that fiber to the home is in the pipeline....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Probably should have also suggested changing the existing pricing scheme to bring things a bit more in line with existing DSL pricing. I don't know what drives the cost for ISDN that makes the existing pricing so enormous. I'm only guessing that they are applying legacy pricing to legacy technology.

Also meant for this to be in Broadband.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircom are charging in the order of €1,900 to connect the A and B ends of a leased line. Then you pay for rental on top of this. You then need an ISP who can take the other end of the line in their office , rack space and all that which costs, you then need to buy equipment and you also need to pay money to the ISP for thier service. This is true of a 64Kb leased line. You can get 128Kb by using both channels on ISDN.

The eircom price of 20K for 1Mb depends on how far apart the ends are - if both are in the same exchange the price for 1Mb is about the same as for 256Kb.

You used to be able to get a private wire for about £900 a year and then you would put your own DSL gear on it. In the states many telco's will offer private wire for $30-$60 per month. Ok you still need an ISP but...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

gibo_ie wrote:
    I do believe talking to some eircom guys at the match last night that fiber to the home is in the pipeline....
    In 2098.

Advertisement