Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms approaches for broadband signups

Options
  • 14-10-2004 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

I don't know if anyone has raised this topic before but It annoys me. When the local exchange was enabled recently Eircom emailed everyone who had an @eircom.net address on the local exchange with an a link to sign up for eircoms crappy broadband service but no mention that other companies were offering the service and so far no general publicity that broadband is available in the area. This puts all eircoms competitors at a distinct disadvantage as anyone who signs up is stuck for 12 months or possibly life !!.
    Is there any onus on eircom to let people know that they don't have to take eircoms service or even that there is an alternative available?
    Is emailing people who signed up for an @eircom.net address using a telephone number off this exchange an abuse under the data protection act?
    Any other comments ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

C Fodder wrote:
    I don't know if anyone has raised this topic before but It annoys me. When the local exchange was enabled recently Eircom emailed everyone who had an @eircom.net address on the local exchange with an a link to sign up for eircoms crappy broadband service but no mention that other companies were offering the service and so far no general publicity that broadband is available in the area. This puts all eircoms competitors at a distinct disadvantage as anyone who signs up is stuck for 12 months or possibly life !!.
    Is there any onus on eircom to let people know that they don't have to take eircoms service or even that there is an alternative available?
    Is emailing people who signed up for an @eircom.net address using a telephone number off this exchange an abuse under the data protection act?
    Any other comments ?
    Well, from a business point of view they'd be fairly stupid to mention any other providers.
    Its only the people who don't research the product properly will get crapped all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

I'm aware that from a business point of view what they're doing is excellent for them and crap for the rest of the people. But are there regulatory / legal implications etc ?

BTW most people are totally uninformed about telecom / internet options unlike the people in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

As I said, if they research it they will be informed.
    People who get into 12 month contracts without researching it are, well, idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I disagree- th Onus is Always on the buyer.
    Let the buyer beware - is the rule...
    If you don't research / shop around you would never get a deal

Think of the example of buying Jeans - if you went to a levis store you would not expect them to advise you the Jack and Jones also provide Jeans and you might want to check out their prices.

Simple thing is to Shop around for anything. There is no point in saying - but i don't know what else is available - Google - broadband + ireland = Your answers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The only concern here would be whether the information Eircom Net was privy to is available to other ISP's. If not, Eircom Net and Eircom wholesale would be acting illegally. However it should be up to the ISP's to stand up for their rights in this regard. To be perfectly frank I'm sick of fighting their battles, just because they're too lazy and/or incompetent to do a little research and/or actually listen to their customers.

C Fodder, if I was you I would pass any emails you received on this topic, together with an explanation of your concerns, onto the ISP's. Skipping info@ where possible. For example, in UTV you should send to Malcolm(?), in Esat I guess Bill Murphy would be your best bet, since his staff are incompetent. Anyone want to add to this list?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I agree with Adam. Eircom.Net are simply looking at their own database . Unless they are emailing those who opted out of being emailed then there really is no problem at all . IOL should mine their database and the Oceanfree one they own and get the finger out . Bill, please give the entire project to someone technical .

M

What got me annoyed about this was someone I was talking to who claimed her father had researched this and eircom was the best service available. It turned out that -in best aussie accent- "the bloody idiot" only read eircoms email rang them, believed them and signed up. My concern is that Eircom could be indulging in their time honoured sharp practise or rule bending to just short of breaking point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I reckon everyone would have a landline and therefore be in Eircoms database. Thats an unfair advantage surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Not in Eircom.Nets database though ! If you have an Eircom.Net email account and filled out the details for them when you signed up then Eircom.Net would have the data you gave them. Thats not the same as Eircom the Telco mind you.

The unfair advantage would be if the Ballydehob exchange were live on the 10th of October and if Eircom.Net were told before IOL/ESAT were told say on the 8th or 9th and had their mass mailing prepared.

TBH you would have to email Bill Murphy in ESAT and forward him your mail with headers n stuff. If Eircom were already mailing you before IOL were even told it was live then I am sure that Bill will be onto Comreg faster than the speeding proverbials. You have the evidence that Bill needs if this is actually what happened. They didn't mail Bill at his esat address :)

M

As and aside 10 days before anyone was told offically that the exchange was enabled eircom were willing to sign me up for broadband and IOL and Netsource couldn't understand this when I complained to them ( or I think they simply didn't care).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like eircom.net were aware of the exchange being broadband enabled before the others then. However, given the incompetance that some of the people working in Esat and co have I wouldn't be surprised if they did know and just plain forgot, or were told but didn't understand.
    Send a mail off to that Bill Murphy anyway. You never know, it might do some good.

Advertisement