Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alien V Predator Preview

• 14-10-2004 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Anyone going to see it on sunday morning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I saw it while I was on holiday in America in August. However bad you've heard it is, it's worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

My mate has it on DVD - no good reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I saw it last week It felt like there was about an hour missing or is it really that bad...
    I should know better than to be watching dodgy DVD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Ok film, dont expect any great dramatic scenes, or expect to cry when a character dies. Turn off you brain and enjoy the show :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I saw it while I was on holiday in America in August. However bad you've heard it is, it's worse.
    I agree, saw it around the same time myself in the states. Went for a laugh, we knew it would be bad but didn't expect it to be as bad as what it was :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭missy me

well i got free tickets for it so gift horse etc...... the fact that its a 15's tells you everything really,but my fella likes the alien movies!!!and beacause im such a selfless girlfriend i said id go!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

But I think it's going to be really ****ing awful - are you telling me it's even worse than that?! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ixoy wrote:
    But I think it's going to be really ****ing awful - are you telling me it's even worse than that?! :eek:
    Yes... They mess with established facts like the gestiation time of the Aliens. There are stupid things like 2 guys get atttacked by face huggers and they some how mange to go from the floor to sleeping peacefully on stone alters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

go see it.

Saw it in the states aswell.
    I enjoyed it.

could have been better tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It could've been better, but it was still good, imo.

They should've used alot more blood, more violence, more guns... I suppose because of that one bit in the ad, that made everyone think of a big battle, that made everyone raise their expectations of it.
    The last 15 seconds makes it looks like there may be a 2nd one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Thought it was fairly self-indulgent. Like yer man kinda thought that all he wanted to see was aliens bursting out of stomachs and left out all the suspense of the first Alien movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

_sheep wrote:
    Turn off you brain and enjoy the show :)

My brain has been turned off for about 6 years now, and I still didn't enjoy it.

One of the worst movies I saw during the summer. Even worse than catwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

My brain has been turned off for about 6 years now, and I still didn't enjoy it.

heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

One of the worst movies I saw during the summer. Even worse than catwoman

YOU WENT TO SEE CATWOMAN !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

who can blame him,halle berry in leather cat suit :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭missy me

chrismon wrote:
    who can blame him,halle berry in leather cat suit :rolleyes:
    and?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Saw it on a dodgy DVD. Really glad I didn't pay for the priviliage to be honest. Dreadful if you consider the previous Alien / Preditor films.

Although to their credit, I thought the Aliens and Preditors themeselves were quite good - ie. there was nothing new, just a copy + paste from the old shows - but the humans were ****ing laughable. And not nearly enough blood or suspense. Chest-busting scenes are basicly a person screaming and then a cut away.

The tagline says it all - "Whoever wins, we lose".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

If only they could have thought about what they were doing...i mean you have a bunch of aliens....and a bunch of predators....and you have the potential for the greatest movie ever told.

Instead they had to go and suck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Cant understand the people who think this is crap.
    Its actually decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How can a movie with an Alien and a predator be so bad?

Oh my it sucks BUT the only redeeming feature in the entire movie is
    the 1st fight with the predators and the alien, CGI has come a along way and even the most hardened cynic will admit that 20 odd seconds fukkin rocked had me on the edge of seat going WAHEY (altho i was pished)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

KdjaC wrote:
    CGI has come a along way

Im not 100% as to which scene your referring to but apparantly for alot of the film it was guys in really cool suits, dont think there is as much cgi in the film as you might expect (could be wrong, only going on stuff ive read)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

KdjaC wrote:
    How can a movie with an Alien and a predator be so bad?

Oh my it sucks BUT the only redeeming feature in the entire movie is
    the 1st fight with the predators and the alien, CGI has come a along way and even the most hardened cynic will admit that 20 odd seconds fukkin rocked had me on the edge of seat going WAHEY (altho i was pished)

kdjac

Agreed that scene was excellent. Although I was pished too! :)

It's really not as bad as people are making it out though. It's a good popcorn movie. Nowhere remotely near as good a film as the original(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

hmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure i want to see it now. i've been putting it off all week but chances are i'm doing nothing next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i saw the film and agree with most peoplpe's sentiments - it sucked.

however, you all know you're going to see it on the big screen when it opens. you wont know why, possibly because there's nothing else on, or possibly a cosmic force making you believe that you'll see a cooler version in the cinema, like this amazing directors cut we're promised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

its not as bad as everyone here said it was going to be....

compare it most blockbuster its ok

compare it to alien/s its disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

MickFarr wrote:
    YOU WENT TO SEE CATWOMAN !!! :D

That's the problem with having a girlfriend - when it's her turn to chose the movie :rolleyes:

Halle Berry in a catsuit couldn't save that movie. Reminds me of Uma Thurman in the Avengers, looked amazing but couldn't save it.

And yes, I paid into a cinema to see it too. Nobody to blame on it but myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's so ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh at a lot of it. That said, that scene between the alien and predator was pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What a load of arse. Not a lot of action and ALL of the action scenes were terrible. Even the death scenes were dire. I cut away when what you really wanted was fountains of gore. As for the story its farcical.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Okay, that was absolutely appalling. I've seen many many movies this year and this now vies with Van Helsing for the worst. Utter muck. Where do we begin? The poor pacing that had a drawn out, and frankly boring first half? The terrible dialogue that included the classic "It's like finding Moses' DVD collection"? The cardboard acting? The fight scenes shot confusingly? The urinating on continuity? The implausible logic leaps made by characters (oh look at these heiroglyphs! I can read them....).

I think the clincher for this is when:
    She uses the alien head as a shield. I thought it was a joke almost - it looked like she had bought a noveltly inflatible alien head at a gift shop and was carrying it around. The scene was greated with loud derisive laughs in the cinema
    . Or how about
    When she and the predator are running towards the screen with a big fire explosion behind them? It reminded me of the intro to some cheesy 80s copy-buddy series - I almost expected to see a title coming up "Alexa and Preddie"

Diabolical. I was warned it was going to be worse than I thought. I should have listened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love the aztec temple in Mexico. Only slightly good thing i can say about it is
    weldman or whatever i think i'll say bishop playing with the pen

Had the potential to be great. Or at least decent. What the hell happened. And just when the ridiculous but kinda fun Resident evil apocalypse got paul w.s. anderson some kudos from me. I'm now back to hating him with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

just when the ridiculous but kinda fun Resident evil apocalypse got paul w.s. anderson some kudos from me. I'm now back to hating him with a passion.

Totally agree. Saw Resident Evil Apocalypse last night & really enjoyed it in a brainless way. Kinda made me think AvP wouldn't suck as bad as I'd heard.

Leaving aside how unfaithful the movie is to either franchise, there's little to like about Alien Vs. Predator -- woeful pacing, complete lack of dramatic tension, an illogical and poorly constructed story, too little violence/gore, too much confusion during fight scenes and too much terrible dialogue e.g "My enemy's enemy is my friend"

The setting in the pyramid was interesting, but unfortunately the film was just too ridiculous and poorly-constructed to be even slightly likeable. By the time
    it was down to the Predator & Alexa to fight together, it was just farcical. From the custom weaponry Alexa used, to the Predator using sign-language to warn her about a bomb, it was just abominable. When the Predator takes off his helmet at the end, the expectation was either for him/her(?) to say "Thanks" to Alexa, or to kiss her. It was that bad.

Oh, and about the ending, it was so clearly sign-posted it was a foregone conclusion long before this mess of a movie ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

This film lets down both franchises, as I knew it would.

The fight scenes:
    For a minute there I thought I was watching King Arthur again, the way the camera cut away from any gore. This was the major problem with this film.... there have been so many classic death scenes from Aliens and Predator films...... you won't remember even one from this.
    Then during the 1st alien vs. predator fight, I thought it was the Bourne Supremacy all over again, you couldn't see what the **** was happening with the shaky cam that was too close to the action to be able to discern any attacks.

Anyway, this is how I rate both franchises.....
    Predator
    Aliens
    Alien
    Alien Resurrection
    Aliens 3
    Alien vs. Predator
    Predator 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i already said my peace a few topics back i'd just add that i still hav'nt found where the microwave gun came from.
    as pred and alexis run away before the explosion and the preddy gets jumped by an alien Alexis picks up a microwave gun type thing says "Your one ugly motherf
    " and blows its head off. She then drops the gun and continues

where? when? how? WHY DIDNT YOU KEEP THE THING! it would have been usefull for the next scene
    AHHH QUEEN! ZZZZZZZZZZZAP! TOASTED QUEEN!

disapointing film not really really bad just bad.

worse while i hated it all the people i watched it with loved it. Even this girl who boasts being a bigger alien fan then me??? (admittadly she also argues that Resurrection was the best in the series...which confuses the f*ck out of me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

Phil_321 wrote:
    Anyway, this is how I rate both franchises.....
    Predator
    Aliens
    Alien
    Alien Resurrection
    Aliens 3
    Alien vs. Predator
    Predator 2
    no way! im gonna create a thread.

edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=196059

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    i already said my peace a few topics back i'd just add that i still hav'nt found where the microwave gun came from.

i thought it was one of the guns that they used to shoot the lights into the tunnel when they first went down to the pyramid?? and a spike went through through the aliens head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sound_wave wrote:
    i thought it was one of the guns that they used to shoot the lights into the tunnel when they first went down to the pyramid?? and a spike went through through the aliens head.

Could be...but it sounded and looked like some wierd sci fi gun. the closest i have got to figuring it out is that one of the diggers said they had thermal digging tools...might have been that. Will look again (*By cough means*) to check your theory. If right you win a cookie.

Advertisement