Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Poker books

Options
  • 14-10-2004 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering what books you can recommend about texas hold 'em.

I checked the sticky links, and saw:
    Recommended Books
    The Theory of Poker - the undisputed Bible.

But having read reviews on amazon, it looks like it assumes the reader has more experience / knowledge about the game than I have.

I have had a look on the web, and found too many books out there to choose from, but I dont know which one to go for - any ideas?

TIA

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

First one I ever read was hold em Excellence by Lou Krieger and I'd recommend that as a great book for beginners. Among other things, it has a starting chart of hold em hands that will set you off on the right track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I've heard bad things about that Krieger book, although I haven't read it. Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones is a good first book, although Jones's advice will have you playing pretty weak-tight, this isn't nessecarily a bad way to start off while learning.

This, and most other poker books in print, deal almost exclusively with limit, incidentally. If you want no limit I might wait for Dan Harrington's book (in 2 vols) coming out from 2+2 later this year I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

It depends on what your looking for. If you want a handy, informal "how to play poker for dummies" book then Lou Kriegars Hold em Excellence, Lee Jones low limit book (not sure of the name) or Gary Carsons Complete Hold Em are all well respected. I think Gary Carsons is the best, but I only skimmed them all.

If you want a more advanced "technical" book, then the Theory of Poker is for you, a lot of people will find it hard going; its a very dry book, but it really is in a class of its own. Once you've read that, then Hold Em' for advanded players is the next step.

All of the above focus on limit play, but a solid understanding of limit will do you fine in the NL world. I think its easier to pick up as you will be forced into less gigantic decisions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The truly vital thing about the Theory of poker is that it discusses all the accepted concepts of poker. Something everyone should know and only about half the players you play will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

Here are the 3 books I own:

1) As already mentioned Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones is a good first book. Even if you are going to play NL I think this is a still a good first book.

2) Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth is superb! For limit poker only (most people here prefer NL). This book is more complex than the Lee Jones book but is also much better.

3) Theory of Poker is also very good

T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

where do you all buy your books?
    i've been meaning to sign up to an online poker site for a while now but don't want to go ahead until i've done a bit more reading into it..

i've been looking around the big bookstores like easons etc.. but none of them seem to stock any decent books on poker, therefore the only option seems to be to buy them online.
    so where's the best place to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Nick, Amazon or Ebay is really your best bet, even if you found a book over here it would be expensive. I'd reccomend Hellmuths Play Poker Like The Pros. It has an excellent section on PL Omaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

I'd reccomend Hellmuths Play Poker Like The Pros. It has an excellent section on PL Omaha.

ta, but what i'm really looking for is a decent book on texas hold 'em (mainly for the internet) and then another book on the general theory of poker (ill probably go with sklansky for that..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

[nicK] wrote:
    ta, but what i'm really looking for is a decent book on texas hold 'em (mainly for the internet) and then another book on the general theory of poker (ill probably go with sklansky for that..)

Nick, you can get 2+2 books direct from their site at www.twoplustwo.com check prices etc on Amazon too as some may be cheaper there. If you want an internet hold 'em book, get 'Internet Texas Hold'em' by Hilger and also get Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Sklansky etc. <-- this is the best book you can get, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Try the US Playing Card Co site for standard rules on all card games - poker page link -

http://www.usplayingcard.com/gamerules/poker.html

or go for the WPT rule book

http://www1.infinitydesign.net/virtual/store.worldpokertour.com/www/product/index.php?productid=3145&ItemColorID=0&ItemLogoID=0

If the book is published by US playing card co. I will get it in stock in Special Days within 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement