Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 problem with dvd's

Options
  • 14-10-2004 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

For some unknown reason to me my PS2 will play dvd's with a on and off hum. It is extremly annoying and it does it to all my dvd's except LOTR Extended versions. If you could give me an answer to why it does this or a cure it would be much appritiated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Old PS2s are noisy bastids when it comes to the dvd drive. The latest version 9 PS2 makes much less noise but disc accessing can still be heard but much lower. Best thing to do is get a standalone DVD player. They have practically no noise and give far better quality picture than the PS2. They are cheap enough but if you can't afford it then you'll have to stick it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I had the same problem, odler PS2's make more noise and i heard that watching dvds wares out your lens.I think your better off buying a seperate dvd player.You can get one for around 50 euro.DVD's wore out my lens and I had to bring it back to the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Working in a video shop I can honestly say I FÚCKING HATE PS2s!!! They are absolute bollocks for dvds and anyone using them to watch dvds should cop themselves on! Get a dvd player. There's ones in argos for bout 60 quid. So just get a proper stand alone one. PLEASE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Thank you now I know the rest of the story. I don't specifically use my PS2 for dvd's but I do like to watch them once in awhile. And I've recently had a problem with one of my games so I hope it's nothing critical. Though the new much slimmer looking PS2 wouldn't be bad to have I still don't want to have to cough up $150 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, hate to say it, but looks like i'll have to be 'copping myself on' sometime soon. ;)

i keep my playstation next to the tv in the front room, so it seemed practical to keep it there to play dvd's too, as the remote was cheaper than a whole dvd player.

2 years on my (now chipped) ps2 is still okay for games, but dvd's are very jumpy, although strangely enough divx's are still playing fine on it, so i guess it's just when there's a lot of data being pulled off the disc that there's problems.

anyway, it looks like i'm gonna have to get a dvd player now, but it'll have to be one that'll play divx's too, and maybe something with a NIC cos i have a big collection of divx's now and don't want to keep burning to disc every time i want to watch one (or watch it in the bedroom where my pc is, cos i keep falling asleep!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Is it just movie DVDs that make noise or do games do it as well? Is your PS2 flat or standing on its side? How old is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

FruitLover wrote:
    Is it just movie DVDs that make noise or do games do it as well? Is your PS2 flat or standing on its side? How old is it?
    It's just the DVD's it's also standing up and if I remember correctly it's about 3 or 4 years old.

Advertisement