Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a new Business Question

Options
  • 14-10-2004 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I work for a company, But i want to open my own online company.

Would i be allowed to open the online company and still work in my normal day to day job,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The only thing that would prevent you is if your contract had a clause covering this, and they enforce it. If the online company is in competition, or has a conflict of interest with your present employer then they might have a problem with it even if its not specifically mentioned.

Some companies require you to ask permission before taking on outside work, even on your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

This would be in my own time, but the plus side would be that i would be selling what my company sells.

They normally sell to shops all oer Ireland, and if i was to sell there stuff aswell that would be more sales for them so they would be happy,

Be interesting if they see it in the same light!

So if they do say it's ok,,, All i have to do is really register as a company, and add myself to the books, and hire an acountant to do the books, i know theres alot more in the middle....

any pointers for a starter,, anything would be a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

NeVeR wrote:
    So if they do say it's ok,,, All i have to do is really register as a company, and add myself to the books, and hire an acountant to do the books, i know theres alot more in the middle....
    thats it because the magic internet will sell everything for you
    NeVeR wrote:
    They normally sell to shops all oer Ireland, and if i was to sell there stuff aswell that would be more sales for them so they would be happy,
    you would be competiting with customer of the company you work for, which
    could prevent them from buying from your company
    NeVeR wrote:
    This would be in my own time,
    you employers might think that you might neglect you current duties
    NeVeR wrote:
    but the plus side would be that i would be selling what my company sells.
    there must be some reason why your company never sold directly
    NeVeR wrote:
    Would i be allowed to open the online company and still work in my normal day to day job
    in what context, legally, like ricardoS said it depends if you have a competation,other employment clause in your contract

• Advertisement

you employers might think that you might neglect you current duties
    This wouldnt happen as i dont have any internet in work,

We dont sell to shops as we are trade only...

you would be competiting with customer of the company you work for, which
    could prevent them from buying from your company

true but this product is widely available on the net already, just not from an Irish based company , there might be 1 or 2 out there but most buy from the UK

and also my current company would not be connected to my one, I dont work in the sales part in my current job, all our other buyers/shops would not know i worked there , i would be buying from my there just like they would be,

Well I think you know the issues now anyway. Good luck with it anyway. Hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Would your employers want to negoiate with someone who knows how much they are making on the products they sell? As in you know how much they make when they sell the product to you, you can use that against them to get a better deal.

the only person that knows how much we buy the product for is the Head account and the General manager, I know what the trade price is on everything and i know what discounts dealers get, so i know what i would be getting,

Advertisement