Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

These clearout auctions?

• 14-10-2004 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I've just had another unwanted advert come through my letterbox. This time, its an advertisement for a wonderful "WHOLESALE CLEARANCE" where "APPROX 1M RETAIL STOCK IS TO BE CLEARED". I'm amazed that they are offering apparently Brand-new DVD players for as little as €10.

They are a tonne of typo's on the advert "games conSULS" and in the accepted payment section, they've spelt VISA wrong and have spelt it VSIA and they even managed to spell CASH wrong, spelling it CAHS.

Im certain that this is a scam but would be interested to know how it works!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They are a tonne of typo's on the advert "games conSULS" and in the accepted payment section, they've spelt VISA wrong and have spelt it VSIA and they even managed to spell CASH wrong, spelling it CAHS.

It's one of those things that traaavellers have in Hotels where they sell all the broken ****e they've collected over the years.

Careful of your car if you decide to go.

Maybe that note was written by the same people who dug the intelligent message "open raod" into the golf course on the north side of Dublin, the other day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I thought they were auctions?. Maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I got one of those leaflets in the door a while back.Was wondering how it was so cheap and I too noticed the dodgy way in which the leaflet was put together.Never went to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Don't waste your time. When they say DVD Players for €10, that's the starting price. Then it goes up and up... so unless you bring alot of cash, the best thing you'll get is a kitchen clock. And then they add 21% tax after the final bid has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Dont bother going to that you will end up parting with money, for junk that does not work.

You would have to be very very lucky to get anything of any good.

There is an english bloke and his wife come to limerick every year and you would know just by watching the way he acts that he is nothing but a rogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's a scam. The first few lots will seem like great value. "Random" members of the audience will be seen to get 'bundles' of good stuff for about €30. You'll then be asked to bid on bundles you can't see (yes, I know this sounds dumb but the guys are usually fantastic salesmen and get a buzz going about the place, so you'll bid). Then, when everyone says they're prepared to bid a tenner for the contents of the box, young lads will go around the crowd giving you a little paddle for your tenner. This will then be exchanged for the contents of the box: some dodgy crap worth about €2.

I got stung in one of these when i was about 14. A bottle of Paula Yates' After Shave. W00t! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Sleepy wrote:
    A bottle of Paula Yates' After Shave. W00t! :rolleyes:

her own personal after shave or paual yates branded after shave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Yep scams all right.
    BBC's consumer Watchdog programme did an item about them last year where they went into the "Auctions" with a hidden camera and filmed them before, during and after.
    As stated above you are basically buying goods that you never see going into the boxes and when you get home to check them, guess what?
    You should have seen these guys run when the reporters identified themselves, Schumacher would have been left at the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

they will a few of each item.

They know the price they are going to sell for and pretecnd people are bidding by all the workers shouting out umbers.

Then stuff is legitimate. And the price seems good, but then you have 15% comission and 21% vat on top of the price they say.

So if you buy a digiatl camera for 100, you will have to pay them 140.

thats the scam.

Very funny to go and watch people buy crap they don't want. They usually have a really good sales speaker and people are leaving with pots and sacepans, that they will never loose, it just you think it is an unreal bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

....have a leaflet in front of me and was thinking of going as I need a new microwave and they're supposidly going for €4. Will give it a miss knew it was too good to be true :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

These auctions are a fair scam allright. I've been to one a good few years back and it's basically getting the crowd worked up into a bidding frenzy for crap you don't want or need. They seem to tour around the country every year so I guess there's a fair amount of people out there who get suckered in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Anima wrote:
    I thought they were auctions?. Maybe not.

Yes, I suppose I should have been a bit more clear on that. They are all auctions. The prices advertised are the lower reserve prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

go along if yav some spare time... they're gas things altogether...

you might even walk away with a circa 1980's camera for 20euro .. a bargain in anyones language

Advertisement