Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Modems follow the speed ramps in Wireless and VDSL

Options
  • 14-10-2004 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

The cable industry is not sitting on its arse while VDSL and Faster forms of Wireless are deployed around them. Cable Modems use a standard called DOCSIS , we would be on version 1 or 1.1 in Ireland.

Docsis 2 is finalised and Doscis 3 is being formulated.

Docsis 2 supports 40 Mbit down and 30 Mbit up.

Docsis 3 will support up to 200 Mbits down and 100 Mbits up.

A Roadmap and Tech Links may be found Here

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Speaking of broadband speeds, I was on the Yahoo! Japan web site. They recently upgraded their customers to 50mbps ADSL, which they call "quad band ADSL", or something like that (can't remember the exact term). At the same time, another Japanese ISP is now offering gigabit connections, using FTTH, for residential users for the same price as Eircom's cheapest package (I read that but didn't save the link, I will post it if I find it).

Advertisement