Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did the Dublin Spire cost?

• 14-10-2004 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Just wondering cos im getting a hundred different quotes.

How much in total did the spire cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

ill humour u.

4million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

Is this a retorical question ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

Well the money could have been used to home the homeless, build a million hospitals and stop the celtic tiger slowing down, well according to most people anyway.

€4,000,000 or IR£3,000,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jaysus, another thread for people to moan about the price of the Spike. The government gave é191m to the FAI and IRFU to help fund their stadium, nobody would notice if they gave é195m. 4m is feck all TBH.

I have seen "the" actual figures for the spire and believe me, it was alot more than €4 million !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They made a lot of money back selling the merchandising rights for the Spire.

I can't wait to be able to buy a little Spire model in Carrols.

I believe it's around 3.9 million Euro. Which is quite good considering the scale of the thing.

Do you know how much a hospital would cost to build?

I'd be more concerned about the money wasted on a poorly planned Luas and eVoting systems, not to mention the tribunals. The cost of the Spire is nothing compared to those.

EDIT: €4.8 million was the final cost according to the Dublin City Council.

The only thing I hate about the Spire is the contents of the Time Capsule underneath it... An Argos catalog and a menu from Domino's Pizza????!!!???

Prozium wrote:
    I have seen "the" actual figures for the spire and believe me, it was alot more than €4 million !!!

care to provide a link???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Spire was pre-made in a number of sections, which were transported separately and subsequently internally bolted together on-site. At the base, the Spire passes through a 7-metre diameter circular bronze plate, patinated to a dark earth colour to contrast with the brighter qualities of the Spire and incorporating a spiral machined into its surface. Cost €4.8 million. Designed by Ian Ritchie Architects of London

i rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Had it not been spent on the Spire it would have gone to some other project and not to health or education etc. which have their own budgets and have nothing to do with the money that was used to build the Spire. So even if the money for the Spire had been put on a rubbish dump and burnt, no more of less would have gone to the health service. Each department gets its allocation and it doesn't matter what it spends it on, not a cent is being taken away from any other department! The biggest losses of money to the health service is the money being lost through the health service by mismanagement. Properly managed, you could have twice as good a health service for half the money spent on it. You could say that the health service is wasting millions that could be spent on more Spires or to home the homeless, build a million hospitals and stop the celtic tiger slowing down.

• Advertisement

MMMmmm, 4.8 million.

I think not.

Add VAT onto that and you might be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Chonaic wrote:
    stop the celtic tiger slowing down

Now that's funny.

"Right lads, we've got 4 million buck in the bank. What'll we do with?"

"Build a big Spike"

"NO WAIT! Here's an idea we can use it to buy a big harness to strap to that big Tiger everyone is complaining about!!!"

"I like it!!!!"

plus, if you dumped 4 million into the health service you might as well chop it up and make cash-soup.
    Money isn't the problem there and 4 mill is a drop in the ocean.
    I'm not saying it couldn't have been better spent but flinging it somewhere doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

This is something that has been rumoured.

Bono wants a skyline in Dublin, entailing skyscrapers etc.

Planning permission only goes as high as the tallest building, Liberty Hall I think.

Raise the bar with a spike, everybody's happy, well Bono really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

The council, being a government body, is Vat exempt. Oh and 4mill is a tiny tiny amount when your talking health, social welfare budgets etc.

I dont think theres a lot more the council could've done with 4mill to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Just wondering cos im getting a hundred different quotes.
    How much in total did the spire cost?
    You want to buy one ?
    I gan get ya one for about €500,000
    Its second-hand but in good order throughout.

You will have to come and collect it though, can you meet in the city centre ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Blub2k4 wrote:

Planning permission only goes as high as the tallest building, Liberty Hall I think.

Raise the bar with a spike, everybodies happy, well Bono really.
    Christ, get out the tinfoil hats :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Gurgle wrote:
    You want to buy one ?

Not the city centre Gurgle. Try the car park at Blanchardstown shopping centre. You are sure to find someone to buy it there. Don't forget to tell them that you are leaving the country tomorrow and have to get rid of it quick. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Gurgle wrote:
    You want to buy one ?

Awww man! That was seriously funny. I was crying laughing for like, 10 minutes. Very clever - good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Blub2k4 wrote:

Raise the bar with a spike, everybody's happy, well Bono really.

there are plans for a 30 storey or so apartment/office block complex near heuston station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

They should build it highter and wider, and cover it in gold plate.

I demand that this happens - who's with me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I just did a quick calculation. I got it covered guys.
    If I pay PAYE at €250 per week, every penny I pay in taxes for the next 307 years will just about cover the €4,000,000.
    Now we just need a volunteer to cough up for the running costs.
    Methusulah, Methusulah where are you?

Who said you don't get value for money in Ireland? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

At the time the original competition for the spot was held I think the suggested budget was €6m. So you could argue that it came in under budget.

On a slightly unrelated topic a regular pub conversation between my mates and I is how could we get a traffic cone on top of the thing (we are Engineers).

Prozium wrote:
    MMMmmm, 4.8 million.

I think not.

Add VAT onto that and you might be close.
    You going to provide us with an amount, a reference or even your reason why you have this secret knowledge that you don't seem to be able to share with the rest of us?

4,000,000/100 = 40,000
    40,000 * = 540,000
    4,000,000 + 540,000 =

inc. VAT

Considering it myself, Prozium could have a point: the actual spire thing might have cost 4.8m, then there is the labour, the cranes, the failed attempts, these set-backs could have cost a little bit more, but by no means a substantial amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Well can we not discount the VAT seen as the government gets it?

Liathróidi

Chonaic wrote:
    4,000,000/100 = 40,000
    40,000 * 21 = 840,000
    4,000,000 + 840,000 =

inc. VAT

Ah, but the Spire is a monument, so from the revenue list of VAT rates (a strange read in it's own right) VAT would be charged at 13.5%.

http://www.revenue.ie/services/tax_info/vatrate/T00995.htm

So it becomes:
    40,000 * 13.5 = 540,000
    4,000,000 + 540,000 =

inc. VAT

as for getting the cone up there, join up with fathers4justice and get a man dressed as spider-man to climb it and stick it there.

Chonaic wrote:
    Considering it myself, Prozium could have a point: the actual spire thing might have cost 4.8m, then there is the labour, the cranes, the failed attempts, these set-backs could have cost a little bit more, but by no means a substantial amount.
    Nah, any costing usually takes labour and services into account. When you hear the cost of a new road it's for the whole package, not just several thousand tonnes of sand, cement, gravel, asphalt and steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

You could aslo try a skilled parachute attempt..

is there not a way to walk up the spire i remember some lad had to put in the temporary light.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

It was a waste of money in one sense BUT i suppose Dublin did not have any major modern landmark like any other major city in the world.

Advertisement