Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ELO cover

Options
  • 15-10-2004 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is there a dodgy cover of ELO's livin thing knocking about on the radio these days

pretty sure i've heard it twice now

/me goes off to play original

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yes, its by The Beautiful South, Livin Thing is the first single off their new album, which is of covers.

Mr. Blue Sky is better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's a quirky little album on the whole. I rather like their version of Don't Fear the Reaper, even if it's lost its reaperness. Actually the whole thing reminds me of the Even Better Than The Real Thing CD that Today FM/ Ray D'Arcy show released for charidee last year (which could be a good thing or a bad thing, particularly with a really slow cover version of Don't Stop Moving included). Obviously, given that it's a covers album, there isn't a hint of sarcasm contained anywhere - not that that's anything new as it's been rather a few years since we heard any of that.

Slightly odd thing though - the album cover is very reminiscent of the designed artwork for the Beach Boys' Smile. Might just be coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The album is, on the whole, very good. The cover of Don't Stop Movin' shouldn't work; slowing down a wedding reception floor filler to a Tom Waits pace shuffle really isn't on. And yet it is. It's more a reworking of the original, those who love the original certainly won't find much to love, in the same way that U2 fans would hate the Pet shop boys covering 'Where the streets have no names'....failing of course to see that re-doing a song such that it sounds nowt like the original is generally NOT intended as 'disrespect' per se, but rather a demonstration that if a song is *that* good then you can do it any which way and still get away with it. See also Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb.

oh - and the final track on the ElPee...Stone in Love with you is a solid gold top recording....

Advertisement