Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Setting up IOLBB with wifi

• 15-10-2004 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi

I have the Zyxel 623R modem which is set up fine on a stand alone computer.

The Modem It is 192.168.1.1 .

I have a Dlink Di 624 Lan/wifi router but when I tried to set it up I was unable to access the modem on the LAN.

The Dlink is nominally 192.168.0.1
    Connecected the modem to wan port of the router
    Turned off DCHP on modem
    Turned on DCHP on DI 624

Any suggestions or can somebody send me their settings if using a simmilar set up.

Thanks Ferret

PS: ESat were slow to send out the Modem packet but then sent a second. I now have two modems and web cams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

ferret wrote:

I have a Dlink Di 624 Lan/wifi router but when I tried to set it up I was unable to access the modem on the LAN.

Connecected the modem to wan port of the router
    Turned off DCHP on modem
    Turned on DCHP on DI 624
    Did you tell the DLink what it needs to know to talk to the modem once DHCP was turned off?

I'd suggest setting the modem into "bridge" mode, and effectively just use it as a modem, rather than a router. You'll have to set up your PPPoE details on Dlink box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

ferret wrote:
    Hi

I have the Zyxel 623R modem which is set up fine on a stand alone computer.

Firstly Id suggest making sure the Ip addresses are ok.

Turn off DHCP and use manual IP addresses for the moment. Its not too hard to configure manual IP addresses.

Modem say 192.168.0.1 Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Modem connected to one of the LAN ports on the back of the router.

Dlink say 192.168.0.5 Netmask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 (if the router doesnt know what to do with a packet it will send it on to this IP address)

Plug in a computer into another port on the router. Give it an IP address in the 192.168.0.X range Netmask as above. Gateway as 192.168.0.1 aswell.

try and ping the modem from your pc.

These are just my suggestions. I hope they help. I can elaborate more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Conor-Mr2 wrote:
    Modem say 192.168.0.1 Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Modem connected to one of the LAN ports on the back of the router.
    There doesn't seem to be much point in spending money on a router, and then only using it as a switch. If you're only using the LAN ports, and not using the WAN port, then you're wasting your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Yea ur right there doesnt seem to be much point in spending on a router but Im just offering suggestion for getting the thing working. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ferret

Thanks for the help so far

can access the router when in on the LAN but Not able to acess the internet this way

when connected to the wan port of d link and I select bridge mode for the WAN of the modem I am offered RFC 1483 or PPPoA ??

Still unable to ping the modem if connected to WAN port of Dlink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

I have the ZyXel modem from IOL BB and had a similar setup up until recently (ie. ADSL modem connects to Wireless Router).

When you log into the modem, select the "Wizard Setup" option as this will turn and and off what's necassary. I selected...

Mode: Bridge
    Encapsulation: RFC 1483
    Mutilplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

As suggested in previous posts, your D-Link wireless router should be set to use PPoE on your WAN port. You'll need to enter your IOL BB username and password there too, and everything should work okay.

- Neil

Advertisement