Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCC adopts rules for broadband over power lines

Options
  • 15-10-2004 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised by this, but then the FCC has been turning into a very weird regulatory agency under Powell. However it makes you wonder whether they've kickstarted this because of lobbying from electricity companies eager to start making money from BPL, or because they think the opposers of BPL are just a tad, eh, shrill?

adam
    [font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]FCC adopts rules for broadband over power lines[/font]
    [font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    Patrick Mannion
    Oct 14, 2004 (1:10 PM)
    URL: http://www.commsdesign.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=49901747 [/font]
    [font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

MANHASSET, N.Y. — The Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday (Oct. 14) to modified its rules to open the door to the widespread deployment of broadband access over power lines. The action is designed to both foster broadband penetration and increase competition while enhancing management of the national power grid.

As a result of the ruling, power utilities can now provide broadband to their customers, competing with traditional last-mile-access schemes such as DSL and cable as well as newer options such as meshed Wi-Fi networks and upcoming WiMax deployments. The facilities can also improve management through faster feedback and advanced power-grid management. Providing broadband over power lines (BPL) is an attractive broadband scheme because power lines reach every home. In addition, the distribution of broadband to home would be simplified since users need only a single device plugged into a socket to obtain broadband access.

[...][/font]
    (Read on for comments from Copps on the issues.)

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

You Left out bits!
    BPL has now become much more regulated than it was under the standard part 15 rules.
    It also addresses some of the radio interference concerns in that it is not allowed operate at all in certain frequency ranges therefore actually acknowledging that there is in fact a real interference risk.
    PLT (BPL) will fail miserably in the marketplace anyway since it can't deliver the goods.

Specifically, the Order by the Commission:

* Sets forth rules imposing new technical requirements on BPL devices, such as the capability to avoid using any specific frequency and to remotely adjust or shut down any unit;
    * Establishes "excluded frequency bands" within which BPL must avoid operating entirely to protect aeronautical and aircraft receivers communications; and establishes "exclusion zones" in locations close to sensitive operations, such as coast guard or radio astronomy stations, within which BPL must avoid operating on certain frequencies;
    * Establishes consultation requirements with public safety agencies, federal government sensitive stations, and aeronautical stations.
    * Establishes a publicly available Access BPL notification database to facilitate an organized approach to identification and resolution of harmful interference.
    * Changes the equipment authorization for Access BPL systems from verification to certification; and
    * Improves measurement procedures for all equipment that use RF energy to communicate over power lines.

.Brendan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I didn't leave anything out Brendan, I just quoted the article with a link to the rest of the article, as I always do.

Like I said, shrill.

adam

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's not entirely fair, adam. Your quote, and your commentary, imply unqualified endorsement of BPL by the FCC. Brendan's quote clarifies the position. Between the two posts, we get a balanced picture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

oscarBravo wrote:
    That's not entirely fair, adam. Your quote, and your commentary, imply unqualified endorsement of BPL by the FCC.
    No, I'm afraid they didn't. In fact I specifically used the word "kickstarted", and mentioned that people should read the rest of the article, to avoid that. As I've said before: Don't read between the lines, I don't write between them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

dahamsta wrote:
    No, I'm afraid they didn't. In fact I specifically used the word "kickstarted",
    adam

Actually I rather doubt they have 'kickstarted' anything regardless of what spin is put on the ruling by the proponents of BPL, BPL systems are now more restricted than they were under the experimental conditions that the trials up to now in the US operated under.

Regardless of 'shrill opponents' nothing has changed with with either the laws of physics or basic economic principals and as a result BPL will still fail in the market.

.Brendan

• Advertisement
Advertisement