Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like Father, like son - Family issues

Options
  • 15-10-2004 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Riker didn´t get along well with his dad.

Kirk barely new David and by the time they bonded David got killed by a klingon.

Wesley Crusher didnt know his father at all.

Data watched his "father" die and grieved in his own way, he later lost Lal as well and his brother wasn´t exactly the way a brother should be like.

Spock and Sarek were very logical and even though Vulcans are sophisticated beings they weren´t able to overcome their differences until it was too late.

Bones switched off the life support machine because he couldn´t stand it seeing his dad barely alive.

When Picards nephew died he felt like he´d lost a son

Sisko has to raise a son on his own while being in charge of a complete station.

Worf, son of moog, has never been really happy as he always lacked the sense of belonging and he is struggling big time with Alexander.

I am sure I missed someone down the line but it just struck me that it is all father - son issues and I wonder if some of the writers just saved the money for therapy or is it perhaps really very interesting and difficult.

I am sure the stories make a lot of sense and I don´t want to offend someone but the amount of stories around father + son issues is overwhelming.

What ye think, what ye make of all that?

TJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I do have a son who lives with his mum in Germany and I only get 2 see him twice a year and since my mum passed away in April 2004 I don´t have any contact with my dad anymore. I chose not to due to life - long difficulties.

So, yes, thats maybe why I am drawn to those stories (saves me the money for therapy :D ) but it is odd that it is mostly male stories around parental issues.

TJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, there's some mother daughter stuff - Deanna and Lwaxana Troy for example, even if it is mostly done in a lighthearted manner.

i think that father-son thing is a staple on many American TV shows, not just ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

+ star trek is watched mostly by men and writen/produced mostly by men (i think) so its hardly suppriseing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

simu wrote:
    Well, there's some mother daughter stuff - Deanna and Lwaxana Troy for example, even if it is mostly done in a lighthearted manner.

i think that father-son thing is a staple on many American TV shows, not just ST.

The father-son thing is in a ton of US shows, cos it lends itself to good drama. You can see it at its best these days in Everwood, IMO.

As for Trek, one of the strongest Troi mother/daughter episodes was "Dark Page", which, while not lighthearted, was very powerful, at least as strong as all the male ones. So while I don't think there's an even balance, they do both types just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Sisko and Jake get on well, so do Rom and his lad (alcohol really wrecks the memory)

• Advertisement
Advertisement