Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB, BoI 'making three times more than European counterparts

Options
  • 15-10-2004 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

AIB, BoI 'making three times more than European counterparts'
    15/10/2004 - 15:28:50

AIB and Bank of Ireland are being accused of ripping customers off.

A new study has shown that banks are making nearly three times as much profit per customer as their European counterparts.

The Irish Banking Industry is defending this and has claimed the study does not take into account pre-tax profits.

ISME's Mark Fielding has said small businesses aren't impressed with the latest revelations.

Mr Fielding said: “The facts are that a JP Morgan study is showing that their profitability is almost three times what the European average.”

“We know that over the years it is on the back of small and medium business and the rip-off culture that has been in the banks which gives them this massive profit.”
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/10/15/story171226.html

Just yesterday i gor charged 4.44 for a direct debit pushing my account 50 euro below 0 - i corrected it almost immediately but still get charged....is it any wonder they make such profits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It would be interesting to see what the banks' response is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Same as every responce from Rip off merchants in Ireland
    they will probably attempt to blame the smoking ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Do AIB still charge you for using your ATM card, now that IS a complete rip off. Ulster Bank don't charge you for using their ATM cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Do AIB still charge you for using your ATM card, now that IS a complete rip off. Ulster Bank don't charge you for using their ATM cards.

Yes, 20c per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

My suggestion Get a dual account from ulster bankfor your wages to go into every week if you are paid by EFT. you can then kiss those 20 c per transaction charges goodbye for ever.

well kiss them goodbye until the bank of scotland screw everything up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Yes get a bill every 3 months for every transaction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My suggestion Get a dual account from ulster bankfor your wages to go into every week if you are paid by EFT. you can then kiss those 20 c per transaction charges goodbye for ever.

well kiss them goodbye until the bank of scotland screw everything up.

Ulster Bank is owned by Royal Bank Of Scotland
    not Bank Of Scotland

- big difference

re : charges

ROI - if a DD or S/O is bounced on you by UB you are charged €12.70
    NI - if a DD or S/O is bounced on you by UB you are charged £38.00
    :mad:

Advertisement