Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

txting the internet

Options
  • 15-10-2004 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

could you set up something up where you give out a mobile number which people can txt a message to,( and you don't necessarily actually have/need a phone? )....

you know the way you can send txt messages to people on the net... the reverse sorta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

??????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

chewy wrote:
    could you set up something where you give out a number which people can txt a mesage to you can text you ( and you don't necessarily actually have/need a phone? )

not that i know of... you normally need a phone to recieve messages, although in england you can buy a thing that just sends and recieves texts.. you still need a sim card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ICQ Messenger : They give you a mobile number to use from your instant messenger.

hang on, check this .. TEXTBUDDY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

"not that i know of... you normally need a phone to recieve messages, although in england you can buy a thing that just sends and recieves texts.. you still need a sim card though."

well atleast have something where you don't actually need to have phone with you to check txts? just know a password to a txtmail thingy on the web

what i really mean then is there a way to check your txt message on the web... including an archive of messages?

• Advertisement

chewy wrote:
    "not that i know of... you normally need a phone to recieve messages, although in england you can buy a thing that just sends and recieves texts.. you still need a sim card though."

well atleast have something where you don't actually need to have phone with you to check txts? just know a password to a txtmail thingy on the web

they are cheap too.. would be cool if they did them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It may be possible to find a service that will allow you to send texts, probably starting with a keyword, to a specific number, which they would then push to a URL for you to process – certainly I’ve seen such services in the past. However, it’s unlikely that you’ll get it for a low volume (less than a few hundred SMS per month) site or for free.

If you have a valid business case (i.e. you’ll get some volume), drop me a PM and we can have a chat.

Alternatively you can set yourself up with an app that will interact with a phone or GSM modem connected to a server or PC. Again the software is rarely free (I think Kannel is the only free one and it’s *nix based – although there’s a Win32 port) and the modems are pricy (~€400).

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

"ICQ Messenger : They give you a mobile number to use from your instant messenger."

well i had look and unsurprisingly they don't support ireland...

but it does seem to imply that a mobie user can txt you back? but i don't see details of how to do that...

does the mobile user just get a temporary reply number when you sms them from your icq?

i not sure what im asking for... i thought it would be easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

chewy wrote:
    i not sure what im asking for... i thought it would be easy...
    I suggest you return to this thread when you at least know what you're asking for. I suggest you return to first principles on the problem.

Advertisement