Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd have all 4 strikers available- What team would you pick?

• 15-10-2004 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

The injuries are finally easing up.

Squad for Brum tomorrow:
    Carroll, Howard, Ricardo, G Neville, P Neville, Heinze, Ferdinand, Brown, Silvestre, Keane, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Bellion, Fletcher, Giggs, Scholes, Smith, van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Saha.

What team would you pick?

Heres mine -plenty of scoring power there.
    Howard
    G Neville----Rio----Sylvestre----Heinze
    Keane----Scholes
    ---Ronaldo----Rooney
    Saha

Ruud

I can see plenty of games this season where all 4 will be on the pitch at the end of a match.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

saha over smith - id pick neither

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

kida wrote:
    Heres mine -plenty of scoring power there.
    Howard
    Keane----Scholes
    =suicide .
    ---Ronaldo----Rooney
    Saha

Ruud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Howard

Neville----ferdinand
    silvestre----heinze

----Ronaldo
    Keane
    Giggs

Rooney

---Van Nistelrooy
    Saha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

howard

brown----ferdinand
    silvestre
    heinze

ronaldo
    keane
    scholes
    giggs

rooney
    ruud

can't see fergie starting rooney in the middle tobe honest, although it would be refreshing to see

Not necessarily the middle, more in "the hole" as they say just off the front two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Howard

G. Neville--Ferdinand--Silvestre--Heinze

Ronaldo---Scholes----Keane----Giggs

Rooney

Van. Nistlerooy

My personal preference tho Smith may deserve a place in there somewhere. If Rooney plays badly perhaps Smith deserves a start.

Nobody seems concerned with Saha. I really feel he has to be playing when fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Keane----Scholes
    ---Ronaldo----Rooney
    Saha

Ruud

Jaysus just throw in "zonal marking" and it might as well be the current Liverpool setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Howard

Neville - Rio - Slyvester - Heinze

Ronaldo - Keano - Scholes - Giggs

Ruud - Saha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Howard

G Neville Ferdinand Brown Heinze

Ronaldo Keane Smith Giggs

Saha

Ruud

I'd leave Rooney on the bench and ease him in gently into sahas position to prevent burn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Starting team is

Caroll
    G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Brown
    Fortune
    Smith
    Kleberson
    Keane
    Ronaldo
    Saha
    Van Nistelrooy

Subs
    Rooney
    Scholes
    P Neville
    O'Shea
    Ricardo

Some nice firepower on the bench. Plus a distinct lack of Tim Howard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    Howard

G Neville Ferdinand Brown Heinze

Ronaldo Keane Smith Giggs

Saha

Ruud

You must like the idea of trying to win games 5-4 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

who would have predictedthis team eh?

Carroll, Gary Neville, Ferdinand, Brown, Fortune, Smith, Kleberson, Keane, Ronaldo, Saha, van Nistelrooy.

how does kleberson even get a game?

Big Ears wrote:
    You must like the idea of trying to win games 5-4 .

I''d settle for it ahead of 0 0 anyday.

I think smith has the temprement to be a solid midfielder so my team may not be as attack minded as you suggest. Looking at the team selection todat smith was played right side of midfield ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Where was Giggs and Heinze today?

Brum never looked like scoring but we were still weak on the left side imo.

I don't like the idea of the 4 strikers on at the same time, maybe three if we are behind but I still think you need a solid 4 - 4 - 2 , or at least a 4 - 3 - 3

Today we had a 4 - 2 - 4 and it just wasn't working

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

4-2-4 never works. Prime example Holland v. Ireland in 2001. It causes a big cluster of players in around the opposition box which makes it very hard to score. The best way is to make space for the players and they will do the business once they are in space. A big cluster of players will make them less effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Carroll
    G.Nev----Rio
    Wes
    Heinze
    Ronaldo----Keane----Smith
    Giggs
    Rooney
    Saha

Ruud should be rested....get his head together or something!Smith can play a kind of in the hole role behind the two strikers and Saha and Rooney would add pace and i reckon make a good partnership!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Carroll

G Nev Brown Rio Heinze

Ronaldo Scholes Keano Giggs

Smith Ruud

I'd go for Smith up front alongside Ruud. Smithy has been playing well this season. Rooney can make an impact as sub, and Saha hasn't got the fitness just yet. As much as I'm sick of Giggs he's the best we have at the moment for the left hand side, gives us the balance. We're always at our best with 4-4-2. Scholesy may not be playing well but he's got the creativity we need, and can nick a goal in a tight game. I'd hope Smithy's aggression would trouble Arsenal's back line, allowing Ruud to get more space. It was a toss up between Brown and Silv at the back. I personally think Silv is a disaster zone, and prefer Brown as a player, but the one thing Silv does have with Rio is a very good understanding. Tough choice but went with Brown, cos I think he makes less c*ck ups. Ronaldo on the right, though if I'm honest I feel he may be taken out of it by Cole, who I think has come on in leaps and bounds this past year. He was always good going forward, but I used think he was a bit of a weak link as a defender but not anymore. He has nice aggression too - and I've noticed Ron tends to be none too interested if hit hard a few times. Hopefully he'll start well though and that'll give him confidence to torment! I really can't predict this. Above all I'm hoping for a good game.

Am I fnck!! Above all I'm hoping for a Utd win!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ronaldo gave cole a torrid time of it in the fa cup i think, or some game last year anyway. cole has come on, for england especially but still isnt comfortable with diagonal balls over the top, he's like a centre back in that he likes everything to be played in front of him.

if arsenal can stop ronaldo theres a good chance they'll stop utd as he's our best play imo, our biggest threat. he's a genius and is the one player that can skin anyone one on one.

arsenal will need to double up on him imo. he's a bigger danger than rooney.

smemon wrote:
    ronaldo gave cole a torrid time of it in the fa cup i think, or some game last year anyway. cole has come on, for england especially but still isnt comfortable with diagonal balls over the top, he's like a centre back in that he likes everything to be played in front of him.

if arsenal can stop ronaldo theres a good chance they'll stop utd as he's our best play imo, our biggest threat. he's a genius and is the one player that can skin anyone one on one.

arsenal will need to double up on him imo. he's a bigger danger than rooney.

Generally I agree but Ronaldo's final ball needs to be more effective IMO. Hopefully that will come in time and then he will be a real handful. He will give cole problems on Sunday for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

last time ronaldo and cole met each other was in the euro champs and he imo wipped the floor with him bar he gave away one or two fouls.

it will be interesing to see what happens this time around though.

I do vaguely remember Cole getting the better of Ronaldo that time round. But still, Ronaldo was a handful and caused lots of problems.

Advertisement