Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video / DVD Rental in galway...

Options
  • 15-10-2004 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

not really a topic of discussion ... but ...

if you do rent dvd's / video's ...
    go to Galway shopping center xtra-vision or chartbusters across the road
    as they are engaged in a semi price war ... so its 3 eur a new dvd a night

that or go to pigsback.com ... and you can usually get rental vouchers for xtravision for 3 EUR a night ...

its not gonna make you day .. but anyways

ok possibly that was useless knowledge but I know people who were going else where so :)

and in return for that knowledge ... anyone know where you can get the pink panther series on dvd to rent or is it possible in galway ?

edit: or even on video ... know a few places used have them on video .. but I'd be worried about quality now ... of any video's they have ...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you want to see good movies, as opposed to 50 copies of the latest Hollywood dross, join Shantalla Movie House. It's 20 quid to join, but you get a rake of credits to rent with. They have an extensive collection of foreign and cult movies, and generally organise things into a manner that makes sense ("by Director" etc).

What idiot wants a copy of the latest Kate Hudson vehicle when you can have a copy of Pasolini's interpretation of "120 Days of Sodom"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Who's Kate Hudson?

Oh, and that place on the headford road has quite a good selection. I managed to find some very rare old movies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

already a member of shantalla ... :)

chartbusters don't do pink panther .. yet maybe when its released .. was checking online .. I think I got confused before with the peter sellars box set and the pink panther box set ... hmmm ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Anywhere that does box-sets for reasonable price?
    Or Anime?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

SyxPak wrote:
    Anywhere that does box-sets for reasonable price?
    Or Anime?
    Shantalla again. It's only around the corner you lazy blighter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Hmm, this shantalla place, where is shantalla exactly? and does it have a good selection of DVD's or will I have to pick up a tape player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

if you know where the ...cottage is ? :) ... its up around the corner from there ... there's the cottage .. .then there's a shop on the corner ... then its there .. can't remember street names ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's about 5 mins walk from the Hospital, past supermacs, keep walking straight.
    You come to a 4-way junction/crossroads.
    There'll be a corner shop on your right (Cahills).
    Go up the big of a hill to your right and it's there.

Any St. Mary's student should know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

SyxPak wrote:
    It's about 5 mins walk from the Hospital, past supermacs, keep walking straight.
    You come to a 4-way junction/crossroads.
    There'll be a corner shop on your right (Cahills).
    Go up the big of a hill to your right and it's there.

Any St. Mary's student should know it.

What sort of ID do you need to join?

simu wrote:
    What sort of ID do you need to join?
    Proof of address and something with a photo.

These days, you also pay 20 quid to join, but this means you get a load of free rentals at the start. Apparently, it was to stop jackeens signing up and stealing some of their more rare vids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Hmm, this shantalla place, where is shantalla exactly? and does it have a good selection of DVD's or will I have to pick up a tape player?

They're DVD collection is actually bigger than the VHS now.

BTW, it's criminal the amount of videos they've lost over the years. Some kid destroyed two Fritz Lang movies and a version of "Orlando" with some crayons and a scissors. I mean ffs!

And just in passing try "man Bites Dog" if you join up. Great flick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slynchie

does anyone know the phone number for shantalla movie store?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thebionn

If you havent seen "Bad Boy Bubby" yet, there is a VHS copy in Shantalla. Disturded & disturbing, but also hilarious & brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

error9 wrote:
    if you know where the ...cottage is ? :) ... its up around the corner from there ... there's the cottage .. .then there's a shop on the corner ... then its there .. can't remember street names ...

It's on Shantalla Road.

Find a Galway map here.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Robbo wrote: »
    If you want to see good movies, as opposed to 50 copies of the latest Hollywood dross, join Shantalla Movie House. It's 20 quid to join, but you get a rake of credits to rent with. They have an extensive collection of foreign and cult movies, and generally organise things into a manner that makes sense ("by Director" etc).

What idiot wants a copy of the latest Kate Hudson vehicle when you can have a copy of Pasolini's interpretation of "120 Days of Sodom"?
    R.I.P yeah that was a great shop..do you know any where else in the city as good as? I know there's that guy in the city 200ad I think..sound head.

Advertisement