Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom neutopia usb! not working!

• 15-10-2004 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

hey guys!

my friend, installed eircom broadband, it was working fine! he did something(he doesn't know what, BAH!), now internet doesn't work!

I tried EVERYTHING! I checked internet connections, I checked if he ticked proxy or something, but nothing! he doesn't even have a firewall!

here are the simptoms,

when I connect the usb modem, the system detects it, the two little monitors appear in tray, indicating a connection, I launch ie, it's thinks.......and then bam, page not found! if I disconnect modem from the pc, it gives page not found right away, but when it is connected it thinks, it feels like it's gonna open a page but then suddenly gives page not found!

what to do? I ran out of ideas! I checked tcp/ip connection, it's everything on auto assign, like it should be!

now, I deleted the program/drive for neutopia thinking reinstalling would fix it, but the du****s couldn't find the drives disk! - can you guys please give me a link from where I can download the drivers for neutopia dsl modem from eircom?

any suggestions how to fix this? he is really bugging me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Are you sure its not one of those wireless jobbies? he may have fecked up the router settings in which case reset it using a paperclip in the hole beside the power socket..
    (/me did something stupid with key lengths before.!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

Solution 0 (written after solution 1) - Can you get into the netopia config page?
    192.168.1.254 in IE

Check what IP address your PC has been assigned.
    Start - run - command - OK - ipconfig - (return)
    if it's something like 169.x.x.x then it's wonrg.
    it should be something like 192.168.1.1
    You can manually assign these if you're not getting it!

Solution 1 - use Ethernet...far better than USB!

Solution 2 - ring Eircom, they'll post you out another disk - no problem!

Solution 3 - Go to control panel - Systems - Hardware Tab - Device Manager.
    Check that the modem is installed properly. It should show up under network adaptors. Either way you could right click on anything that says Netopia or Cayman and select uninstall. Then unplug the modem. Get the disk (which eircom have posted you) and run it. Then plug the modem back in!

Give this a try!
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Back when i first got the Eircom Broadband i had major problems with the "Home Server" and Windows 200 and XP

Basiclly what happens is when you turn you modem on it logs onto the eircom servers but then when windows launches it wont detect this and tryes again to log on useing the same username and password. As we all know two people cant log on under the same username so eircom kicks all people off the server with said username hence the page not found message.

What eircom told me to do was go into 192.168.1.254 in Internet Explorer and change the username and password to something wrong like:

Username: Noting
    Password:0000000

and wait for the wrong username and password message and then close internet explorer. The way to modem can stop auto log in. That way its all up to windows.

So then set up a new broadband connection in windows with the CORRECT username and password and bobs you uncle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

That's only relevant if you have an old username/password combo from eircom, which they did away with earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

I didnt know that. I left eircom a while back due to some..... Payment Issues!
    (ie. Not paying for a crap service)

Anyway ya learn a new thing every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dap1392002

Hey,
    Can anyone tell me if eircom are charging for downloading more than there limit???? or can they??? have not signed any contract!

cheers
    dap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

By using it, you are agreeing to the terms & conditions! They can charge, but i've used over 40Gb so far this month and I don't expect to be charged! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dap1392002

Thanks

Advertisement