Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prog & Power Metal

Options
  • 15-10-2004 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else LOVE these 2 genres? They're so much more dynamic than plain old metal....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Man, I love Metal in all it's shapes and forms. From Motley Crue to Massacre, from Dream Theatre to Celtic Frost, I love it all. TBH I think the categorisation that goes on is just a steaming pile of bull****. Metal is Metal, there are good Metal bands, there are bad Metal bands, I don't care what sub-genre Kerrang says a band are, if they're good at what they do, that'll do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Power Metal is by far one of my favourite genres, So many great groups and the might Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Hammerfall and so many others. Seems to be a lot of new groups coming out of Finland with a sound that can only be described as power metal meets death meets black and a bit of melody thrown in. Wintersun being a prime example and Ensiferum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I used to be big into power metal, but I've kinda stopped listening to metal at all recently. But even though I haven't listened to blind guardian, hammerfalll, helloween, iced earth, demons & wizards, etc etc etc.. i still think they're ****ing brilliant. I'm just oddly enough never in the mood for that genre any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Love both I must say, listenign to some local progressive metl currently infact, in the form of the superb 'Odium Halo'. Cant beat power metal with a big stick either, the likes of Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and Lost Horizon are just seperb altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

My favourite genre is Elaborative Metal - much better than Power metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

erm, what is elaborative metal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Iceshield, Maltor, Cloud Trap, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Isn't it all just guitar playing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Giblet wrote:
    Isn't it all just guitar playing :D

No, there's also Bass playing, Drum playing, and often enough, Keyboard playing.

You forgot Trumpets and Saxophones (ska.... :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

only planet x use trumpets and saxophones, and they're not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

I'm quite partial to a bit of prog/metal, especially bands like-
    Symphony X
    Threshold
    Adagio
    Evergrey
    Enchant
    Pyschotic Waltz
    Spiral Architect
    Spastic Ink
    Watchtower
    Hammerfall
    Rhapsody
    Blind Guardian
    etc....

I LOVE prog metal but i find that the power metal bands are a bit pretentious at times!!!!(especially Rhapsody,Hammerfall and those sort of bands) they take themselves WAY too seriously

You should try a bit of 'DragonForce' kilgor if you like Rhapsody, similar style, but with 20 times more solo's, and the 10 times the speed, mad mad mad, solo's....... madness. And yes Evergrey and Threshold are 2 fupping awsome bands (I found both of them at bloodstock this year, and got Evergrey to sign my ticket :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

manowar

I dont really think blind guardian and demons & wizards are power metal and I dont know what progressive metal is, awesome bands though, whatever catagory they fall into.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Pugsley wrote:
    You should try a bit of 'DragonForce' kilgor if you like Rhapsody, similar style, but with 20 times more solo's, and the 10 times the speed, mad mad mad, solo's....... madness. And yes Evergrey and Threshold are 2 fupping awsome bands (I found both of them at bloodstock this year, and got Evergrey to sign my ticket :))

Ah yes, Dragonforce!! I have Valley Of The Damned and Sonic Firestorm. Damn good stuff. Herman and Sam sure as hell can shred :D
    You should check out the band Adagio that i mentioned - amazing guitar playing by a chap called Stephan Forte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

UHHH MAN OF WAR! best band ever! The Blind guardian stuff is also pretty good aswell, And If your into them Demons and Wizards is definately worth checking out(blindguardian and Iced earth).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

X-Dawg wrote:
    My favourite genre is Elaborative Metal - much better than Power metal.

elaborative metal kicks ass!
    i love cognitive dissonance, cant wait for the new album

nadir wrote:
    manowar

I dont really think blind guardian and demons & wizards are power metal and I dont know what progressive metal is, awesome bands though, whatever catagory they fall into.
    Blind Guardian are 'Folk Metal', Progressive metal it probably easiest distinguised by very long, constantly changing epic songs, examples of Progressive Metal would be Opeth, Dream Theatre, Threshold, WHile Progressive Metal and Power metal are 2 totally diffrent genre's, its all good :)

wouldn't like skyclad, waylander, elvenking be 'folk metal'

and blind guardian would just be like in their own catagory, I've certainly never heard anything like 'a night at the opera' ever before. Nightfall is fairly off the wall too. Amazing band though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Well I presume MOST of the bands I like fall somewhere in this "spec",,,maybe not, still I DO like the more in depth styles used in this type of music rather than that dreadful hardcore nasty metal stuff,,,dreadfull, dreadfull,, anyway you all know my bands so enough said,,mind you I must get me some Dream Theartre soon as they are a seriously good band, and after all Portnoy their great drummer was most influenced by the amazing Neil Peart enough said.

ciao' amigos Baggio,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Advertisement

Baggio wrote:
    Well I presume MOST of the bands I like fall somewhere in this "spec",,,maybe not, still I DO like the more in depth styles used in this type of music rather than that dreadful hardcore nasty metal stuff,,,dreadfull, dreadfull,, anyway you all know my bands so enough said,,mind you I must get me some Dream Theartre soon as they are a seriously good band, and after all Portnoy their great drummer was most influenced by the amazing Neil Peart enough said.

ciao' amigos Baggio,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

man your weird, like erm ..... weird weird!

but yea I've been meaning to check out Dream Theater ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Laughs ,
    em yeah weired is maybe what I am like powerful rock, hate death black satanic nasty metal, love melodic bands, classic rock bands,,,hate corny mushy crap,,is there a strange paradox in my musical tastes???.maybe!!............Jethro Tull, Rush, Hawkwind, Horslips are the 4 legs of my tastes in Rock, Tom Waites, for slower blues/jazz stuff, Handle for classical, supertramp and many others Floyd,Sabbath,Blue Oyster Cult, some Zappa for classic rock,,,hm yeahhh weired,,,deffinately!!
    lol,,BUT not and never will be predictable,like my drumming,,I hate doing the predictable thing, let all the muppet heads do that,,Ill stick to trying different things and nevverrrr repeating my rolls/breaks/riffs during a song,,,,it's s a challenge,,,but I like to have a go.

ciao' amigos....Baggio................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Baggio, you ever listen to the Porcupine Tree? I think you might enjoy them.

Advertisement