Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming :)

Options
  • 16-10-2004 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Our baby girl is just about 6 months old now and I just can't wait to get her to go swimming with me. She loves her baths and she is physically pretty strong. She's also fascinated by a running tap, or fluids in general. Last but not least, daddy loves swimming ;)

She'll get her 6 month injections first

What else is involved in bringing your baby to go swimming? I am a member of a gym that has a swimming pool. As far as I know, they do cater for children...

What are your experiences - any tips are very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Swim nappies!!!!
    And try to time your swim when you know he isn't going to do a number 2!!!

Also make sure your pool is warm enough - some aren't, if you shiver getting in its way too cold for babs.

Babies get cold very quickly and will problably only be in the water for 15 - 20 mins. We found little towelling robes for our guts and they were great for keeping them warm and snuggly after the swim.

We've had our guys swimming since they were about 4 months old and they both swim like fish now (at 3 and 5) it's great to get kids used to water really young and even better they're wrecked afterwards so mam and dad get a break!!!!

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try getting them swimming ASAP.

Newborn babies can breathe and drink at the same time. At or about 6 months this changes to one or the other.

Conversely, it is very hard for a newborn baby to drown because of their breathing habits. Getting them used to the water early means they don't fear it and panic (the cause of many drownings).

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

NACD do a parent and tot course and have creche as well. Teacher nice, water cold...but then can go into leasure pool but they are to tired after about 40 minutes.

Changing babies when wet is not easy...have a bottle ready or food to stop to screaching :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

the blanch aquadic centre is great for kids really warm aswell a good day out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It's all been said, really.
    All injections done is a must.
    Nice warm pool.
    Swim nappies.
    Warm dry towels or a baby robe.
    Also agree about the National Aquatic Centre. Pricey enough but plenty to do and they have family changing cubicles with a changing table and baby seat.

For safety and peace of mind, get one of those baby swim rings that they sit into. I take my lad out of it every now and then to dunk him up to his neck to stop him getting cold. It really is gas to watch him, as soon as he hits the water the feet start paddling and don't stop until he's out of the water again. 20 or 30 minutes in the pool and he sleeps like...well like a baby really.

Is there a gym in Lucan with a pool? Or are you talking Westmanstown or Parkwest btw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

milltown wrote:

Is there a gym in Lucan with a pool? Or are you talking Westmanstown or Parkwest btw?

We're in Westmanstown - kiddie pool lovely and warm, adult pool good too but 4 feet deep. Family changing rooms, packed at the weekends, but otherwise ok. We were in Finnstown (pool to small) and Glenroyal - not happy with upkeep/cleanliness (although the kids loved the pool with the bubbles!).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

milltown wrote:

Hey there mate, didn't know you had a baba as well, what age is he?

My gym is Westmanstown indeed. Have to admit I haven't gone there in 7 months though, shame on me :o

Advertisement