Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you store the my documents folder on a different parition to the os on XP

• 16-10-2004 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

If so, how?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have this done for myself, but I want to do it for all users on my machine. Running XP Pro. I've checked out folder redirection, but the Group Policy editor on XP pro doesn't have the option unless it's connected to a domain.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well the obvious long winded way of doing it under each profile is one way.
    But there must be another way. We're building machines at the moment with the my documents on the D partition and the C partition is hidden. I assume you want to do something similar. I'm not involved in imaging the machines but I could ask on Monday for you. Its done before the user profiles are created so maybe theres something you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'd always planned to do it, but never got round to it. would make re-installs so much easier. you can do it in system properties > advanced > environment variables, but you need to know the names of what you want moving.

with some tweaking you should be able to get your email, fav's, wallpaper and all your other documents and settings stuff moved to another drive/partition and then when your system starts to flag you just re-install/re-ghost and you're back up and running in no time. saves on the F&S transfer wizard anyway which takes bloody ages and is finicky at the best of times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well the obvious long winded way of doing it under each profile is one way.
    But there must be another way. We're building machines at the moment with the my documents on the D partition and the C partition is hidden. I assume you want to do something similar. I'm not involved in imaging the machines but I could ask on Monday for you. Its done before the user profiles are created so maybe theres something you can do.
    It's possible to set it to install the profiles on a diiferent partition using an unattended install, but I don't want to have to do that!

If you're doing it a different way would be great. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement