Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson

Options
  • 16-10-2004 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Did michael jackson ever do a "concert" in Cork, or Ireland?
    or is just an urban legend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

July 30, 1988, Pairc Ui Caoimh, Cork, 60'000 attended]

Why can't we have such gigs in Cork now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

So......many........jokes........Must......take...the piss.

Sweet jebus I hope you're talking about a similar size gig with a decent band, rather than some weird pervert grabbing his crotch on stage (I'm booked for the forseeable future). I'd say it's nearly impossible to get planning permission for any sort of event like that in Cork these days, and the insurance costs would probably be prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Didn't they hold all those gigs at the time because the GAA needed the money?

And yes, I mean decent gigs with decent bands. We have enough child molestors of out own in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

comet wrote:
    When Oliver Barry was promoting concerts cork had big acts, Michael Jackson, U2, Oasis etc. and then there was Feile too. Now we seem to be reduced to small aspiring bands who if they are any good will probably never play here again anyway unless there actually from here.

there u go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There was an article in one of the papers last week saying that Pairc Ui Caoimh is gonna host some more concerts dring 2005 under some deal that's been struck.

I'll see if I can find the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

The last big show was Oasis in Pairc Ui Caoimh in 1996. After that there were a few years of the Heineken Roller Coaster Tour playing the Munster showgrounds in a big tent. There also was a free gig on Grand Parade with Ocean Colour Scene(1998 i think) the following year they had Texas lined up but it was cancelled on the day due to strong wind/rain and that was the end of that idea. The last attempt at a big show in Cork was about 2 years ago when Elton John was announced to play Pairc Ui Caoimh but with tickets on sale a few months and only 15,000 sold it was moved to Killarney!! The City of Culture hype and money is the only think that can bring a big act back to Cork now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Andip wrote:
    There was an article in one of the papers last week saying that Pairc Ui Caoimh is gonna host some more concerts dring 2005 under some deal that's been struck.

I'll see if I can find the link

Yeah I saw that on de echo I think.

It said that at least one "major" gig will be taking place there next year.

Probably The Thrills or something crap now. :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Originally it was rumoured to be U2 but i think its unlikely, i think your guess of the Thrills is probably closer to the mark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Gigwise, Cork has been crap recently (by that I mean the last few years). The last decent big name band to come here were Jethro Tull and that was three bloody years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I think one of the events the marked the end of big concerts in Park Ui Chaoimh was the last Feile Festival that was held in the mid 90s (I think it was the year after the oasis concert but can't be sure).
    Anyway in their wisdom the organisers got RTE to broadcast almost the entire weekend live which can't have been good for ticket sales. In my view this disaster spelled the end for both the Feile festival and concerts in Parc Ui Chaomh.

Shame really as there have been some good ones over the years michael Jackson Prince U2 and Oasis/Prodigy/Bootleg Beatles.

Not sure if oliver Barry promotes concerts anymore MCD seem to have it all sown up now and Slane seems to be as far as they want to go outside Dublin these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Was at it myself, only 7 though. Parents loved it:)
    Went to oasis in PUC also, good time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,163 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dudara wrote: »
    July 30, 1988, Pairc Ui Caoimh, Cork, 60'000 attended]

Why can't we have such gigs in Cork now?

Cos Covid.

And Cork is a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cos Covid.

And Cork is a septic tank.
    That's fighting words:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement