Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

word 97 problem----please help

• 16-10-2004 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

can someone please help with this problem

look at the 2 lines going across the top and bottom of the document. wen i print them they wont go across the entire page.
    how can this be solved

also i want the phone and jjj and the line to stay at the bottom of the page. how can i do that.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There are printing margins, the printer wont go to the edges(Top,bottom,sides) of the pages because this you need to change these margins to suit yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Not all printers print out to the very edge of the page lots of printers have non printing areas that the printhead will not print on, if this is the case you can place your lines which will extend to beyond the non-printing area in a header/footer, but obviously there will be some white space. Newer printers have the ability to print full bleed, in that event just adjust the margins right out to the edge of the page as Dempsey suggested.
    To use headers/footers, on the view menu, click Header and Footer this will show the header/footer toolbar you can switch between the top page and bottom page view. Place your lines and text etc. in the area that’s shown by a broken boundary line showing the header or footer. Click close on the header/footer toolbar or double click the main document area you’ll notice the header/footer text will be grey but will print out ok once you have the margins applied within the limits of your printer.
    Whatever is in the header/footer will be shown on any successive pages too. On the file menu page setup.. option you can define if the header/footer text should be shown on the first page of a document etc.
    If that doesn't make sense you might try the Help System in Word. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How the document prints depends a LOT on the default printer on the PC that's looking at the document. This is a word annoyance.

So which printer are you using - they all have different printable areas, eg inkjets rarely print on the bottom 1.5 cm of a page. And some HP printer drivers need 1.5" margins all round !!! (then you start trouble shooting)

If you are running 97 on an OLD machine with less than 64MB or ram / 500MHz then www.openoffice.org will run fairly slowly. If you have a newer system then you could use it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

can anyone solve the problems. its urgent

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,479 ✭✭✭✭Victor

coolio_64 wrote:
    can anyone solve the problems. its urgent thanks
    Deliberately make the line 2-3cm shorter.

• Advertisement

ok

but how do i keep the line at the bottom all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Enclose the whole thing in a table, and set a border on the bottom.

will u do it 4 me

coolio_64 wrote:
    ok but how do i keep the line at the bottom all the time
    Make it part of a footer. Search for Header and footer" in your help menu and you should get something like this. Put what you have in the footer
    Create a header or footer
    1. On the View menu, click Header and Footer.

2. To create a header, enter text or graphics in the header area. Or click a button on the Header and Footer toolbar. To insert Click
    Page numbers Insert Page Number .
    The current date Insert Date .
    The current time Insert Time .
    Common header or footer items, such as running total page numbers (Page 1 of 10), the file name, or the author's name Insert AutoText and then click the item you want.

3. To create a footer, click Switch Between Header and Footer to move to the footer area. Then repeat step 2.

4. When you finish, click Close.

Tip The text or graphics you enter in a header or footer is automatically left aligned. You may want to center the item instead or include multiple items (for example, a left-aligned date and a right-aligned page number). To center an item, press TAB; to right align an item, press TAB twice.

coolio_64 wrote:
    will u do it 4 me
    'ere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor, honestly :rolleyes:

You should know better.

hi

have done that but it still goes onto another page and im not even half way down through the 1st page
    any ideas with this

seamus wrote:
    Victor, honestly :rolleyes: You should know better.
    :p:D
    coolio_64 wrote:
    have done that but it still goes onto another page and im not even half way down through the 1st page any ideas with this
    Eh? Works for me.

Attach a copy (delete relevant details if you want).

Advertisement