Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iol smpt email prob with eircom broadband..

Options
  • 16-10-2004 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Switched to eircom bb recently enough. My father was unwilling however to change his email adress.. So he's continuing to pay for our iol dial-up account in order to keep it. He's having a problem though with sending mail.. Receiving is fine.. The smpt and pop addresses are correct. I have a feeling it has to do with the bb.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'IOL', Server: 'mail.iol.ie', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you need to have the recieving mail server set to your old ISP (IOL) but your new one must be set to use your new ISP, as you can't send mail from most mail servers if you are not using one of their connections.

i'm the other way round, i have an eircom.net email address that i wanted to keep, but my broadband connection is IOL.

so i still receive mail through my eircom account, but have to send my eircom.net mail through the IOL mail server because the eircom.net one won't let me access it to send mail.

it's basically an attempt to stop people using their mail servers to send spam if they aren't eircom.net customers, but there did used to be an 'understanding' between all the big irish ISP's that they would mutually allow each others customers to use their mail servers, but something happened and one of them removed access to another's IP range and then the rest followed suit, tit for tat.

more info than you needed, but hopefully that should help answser your question and fix your problem anyway.

also to save him some cash, get him to ring them and tell them he wants to change to a free account and keep his emali address. that way he keeps it and doesn't have to give them money for the priviledge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Zefren

vibe666 wrote:
    but there did used to be an 'understanding' between all the big irish ISP's that they would mutually allow each others customers to use their mail servers, but something happened and one of them removed access to another's IP range and then the rest followed suit, tit for tat.

Was there? When ? I know eircom were doing this for a while, but I don't recall other ISP's doing it.

Zef

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

about 3 or so years ago.

it wasn't everybody, and not with everybody else, but most of them did (don't ask me who, it was a long time ago) ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If he really wants to send email using his IOL account, he can log onto http://webmail.iol.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

there's a simple solution

if your e-mail is IOL use these settings

you will always be able to recieve your mail no matter who you conenct with it's just a case of changing the smtp sender to whatever Broard band you sign up with

ie

iol mail account & Eircom Broadband

Incoming Mail server pop.iol.ie
    Outgoing Mail Server mail1.eircom.net

Eircom E-mail account & IOL Broadband

Incoming Mail server mail1.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail Server pop.iol.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Tech ur a gent.. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

no problem :) I take it this worked ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour