Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox problem

Options
  • 16-10-2004 8:23pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

5 speed gearbox on an old Mazda - I can't push the lever forward all the way into 5th. 1st and 3rd aren't engaging all the time. 2nd and 4th are fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

could be one of 2 things . either a gearbox mounting has gone or your gearlever linkage is out of alignment . did this happen all of a sudden or come on gradually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like worn selector rings/gear linkages

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gradual, but getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

try this . with the bonnet open , get a mate to attempt to take off in 1st or 2nd gear(if you can get 1st) ,with the handbrake on , and see if there is much lift on the engine or gearbox side .if there is a lot of movement you probably have a mounting problem. this usually happens when the box drops a few inches and the linkage can`t move the required distance. other than that the gear linkage could be worn. drive the car up on a high step and slide underneath (handbrake on of course) and have a look athe linkage. just imagine where the bottom of the gearlever is and follow it forward. best of luck !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

i had a simular prob with my gear box a while back, wouldnt go into reverse without a good push and first was a lottery turned out had to replace dif barrings in the gear box and was very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

By any chance is it a Fiat ?? very weak gearboxes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

5 speed gearbox on an old Mazda :
    By any chance is it a Fiat ?? very weak gearboxes :rolleyes:

Hmm, yes :rolleyes: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

A Fiat what?

(Just taking the piss) :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Funny that 'cos I need to ask a question about the fix it again tomorrow brava.
    The heated rear window comes on when you press the button, it goes off again only after about 50 times pressing or a couple of goes on the ignition. The door open sensor is starting to show, but this could be the sensor..

Any idea how much a reconditioned/scrapped gearbox would cost, 'cos it seems to be the selector rather than the gear linkage - from time to time the gearbox starts working again and it's back to silly buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

Borzoi wrote:
    Hmm, yes :rolleyes: :eek:

Smart ass i was referring to Kristok :rolleyes:

Anyways Capt'n Midnight

A box and etc would be about 300 normally, all depends ye know!! And thats Fiat electrics for ye, may need a new switch dude..

• Advertisement
Advertisement