Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish broadband ripwave. How to choose mast?

• 16-10-2004 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I've just gotten my ripwave modem and from checking the diagnostics program (btw there must be something better than that heap of ****) and the posts here it appears that I am connected to the Guinness mast (BTS ID 246) now since I virtually live at the foot of the three rock mountain my connection is not what it might be (I hope).

Now what I would like to know is, does the mist affect its operation, if so then I will have to wait for a clear day and check then, if not then I would like to know if there is any way to change which mast you connect to?

Please help, this is actually slower than dial up as it stands now :(

Baz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

I dunno much about ripwave per se and certainly don't live within the coverage area however I do know a thing or two about wireless.

1/ Most modern Double Glazing has a metallised coating (Pilkinton K glass is a common one but there are others) this metallised coating is designed to reduce heat loss however it is also almost impervious to microwaves, you would do better trying to send the signal through the block wall beside the window however many timber frame houses use foil backed plaster board and this blocks Microwaves very effectively.

2/ There is not such thing as non-line of sight at microwave frequencies, what ripwave and other 'nlos' systems do is try to to use reflected signals where a direct one is not available. The success of this depends on how much signal is actually there in the first place. Trying to use equipment with low gain antennas inside the house just makes this much harder to pull off

3/ @ 3.5 Ghz over the relatively short distances that IBB are (not?) offering service the effects of rain, fog etc will be almost non existent on LOS paths, however it can alter the absorption of walls, roofs trees etc and this may have an effect

Can you get the IBB ripwave box outside even temporarily ? does that help? If so invest in an IP rated (Waterproof ) box from the local electrical wholesalers, make sure it's big enough that it doesn't overheat and mount it outside (where RF gear belongs if one is expecting it to actually work! )

Can you put it in the attic, most roofs have far less transmission loss than Cavity walls or Energy efficient double glazing and this may also provide a more direct path to the mast.

.Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

1/ dont have double glazing

2/ do have a line of sight to mast

I have been on to tech support and they said they would add my modem to a list of modems to be looked at (you wha??), and since I have seen no appreciable difference, that was yesterday.

Today I was on to them again and the chap told me to give him a ring when I got home to see if he could help me, however, when I got home the service was down completely and I couldn't get through to support at all.

Needless to say I'm still in the same **** creek and no sign of a paddle, guess I'll just have to ring back tomorrow.

Baz_

P.S The guy today told me that the BTS ID 246 is the three rock mast, now I don't know if he was just trying to pull my leg, but I just thought I'd let you know that.

P.P.S. Just to add to someones comment from a different ripwave post about the sales guy who kept transferring calls to himself, I think his name was Rolf, and well that was the highlight of my call ("Hello Rolf its me again" ROFL).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

He also told me that 246 is Three Rock mast. i'm now on this constantly.

IBB should be bloody that glad that i'm more techie than Spock* and that I have a lot of free time.

This whole set up is wrecking my buzz. To top it all my wireless router has started to make a really high pitched noise that is just barely audible but very loud. Doubles as a rodent deterrent now but it is also slowly microwaving my brain.

*(not that i know much, just that i would like to know more)

Advertisement