Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parrot

• 16-10-2004 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey there,

My cousin is interested in getting a parrot. I'm concerned that they require a lot more time than he would be capable of giving so I'm looking for as many parrot-owner experiiences as I can get. I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

Dilly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Get a Norwegian Blue. Lovely bird, beautiful plumage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It depends how he wants to keep the parrot an avary bird takes very little time we feed our greys every day & they are cleaned once a week. When we had a Timenha grey as a pet he needed constant care he hated being in his cage he was only put away in his cage at night - he was distructive if left unsupervised they need to be handled & spoken to all the time, some bigger parrots get very stressed & can beome feather pickers which often leads to them pecking holes in their body! Cockatoos are known to do this - also parrots can bring out allergies in people & often aggrevates conditions such as asthma as they produce a lot of dust on their feathers. On the plus side they are lovely, make great companions our timenah grey was gotten for my mother just after my brother died and he helped take her mind off of losing her son.

Parrots are expensive & need a wide variety of food to be healthy.
    They are nosiy.
    They can be aggressive.
    They are messy & destructive.
    They need LOTS of time, it is like having a child.
    Parrots can live to be 100!

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

African Grey if you can afford. Smarter than the Cockatoo but louder.
    More likely to pick up stuff you say. They are a lot of work between cleaning and actually spending time with them outside of the cage.

The g/f's dad breeds parrots in Florida so I've been around them a good bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

That's great, thanks all for the advice - especially regarding the stress that they can be under and the need for lots of attention and handling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Maeve

Go and have a look in Paws and Claws PetShop in Dunshaughlin. They have a pretty good selection of Parrot type birds.

Maeve

• Advertisement
Advertisement