Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Ring 2' teaser trailer

• 17-10-2004 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

The Ring 2

Not a bad teaser trailer..

But a full trailer will definantly be worth seeing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

basquille wrote:
    The Ring 2

Not a bad teaser trailer..

But a full trailer will definantly be worth seeing!

The first (Jap version) film freaked me out so much I cannot watch that trailer. I've tried for the past 5 mins and I cannot watch it. Now thats what I call an effective horror film.

Looks a good trailer from as much as I could watch (till you know your one is gonna come out of the screen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

great teaser does its job 100%, cant w8 to see the movie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great teaser trailer - quite a bit in it. I liked the way they just focused on the TV and just made you on edge, waiting for the static to be replaced with that video... Looking forward to it after a solid remake and with Hideo on board for the sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is Ring 2 based on the Japanese sequels (or even prequel), or is a new script?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is Ring 2 based on the Japanese sequels (or even prequel), or is a new script?

No, it's an all new script apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

basquille wrote:
    No, it's an all new script apparently!

Looking forward to this - really enjoyed the first one (though still have a huge row with a mate who insists it was awful every time I say that). I liked
    the added Samara backstory, her mother, the horses, the suggestion that her
    ability to put images on x-rays somehow ties with the 'magnetic' images on the tape etc. Certainly well told, and far more information than there was about Sadoka in the Japanese one. (Let's not mention Ring 0 - that's best forgotten completely.)

So, given that this continues that backstory, this second film could be very interesting. We all know the way sequels often play out, but I actually have high hopes for this one. The key thing they need to avoid is the horror/gore factor - unusually for US films, the first Ring actually kept this to a minimum (I remember only three or four key 'fright' scenes - the rest was all atmosphere and psychological building of fear, which is far more effective.)

Anyone know a release date for Ring 2 over here?

doh.ie wrote:
    Anyone know a release date for Ring 2 over here?

25th March 2005 (quite a wait yet!)..

.. well, that's the UK release date anyways.

basquille wrote:
    25th March 2005 (quite a wait yet!)..

.. well, that's the UK release date anyways.

That's ages away. I should have realised that when it was just a teaser trailer, but still... figured it'd be January at the latest.

Since you have relatively tentative dates, do you have any idea of a UK
    release for "Serenity", the Firefly movie?

doh.ie wrote:
    Since you have relatively tentative dates, do you have any idea of a UK release for "Serenity", the Firefly movie?

Well, it's being released in the US on April 22nd 2005.

So, relying it will also be released on Irish screens (as opposed to straight-to-video, depending on how it performs in the States), i'd expect mid - late Summer 2005.

For now, i can give you information that a trailer for the film will be attached to "Elektra" (sequel to 'Daredevil) released in the US on January 14th 2005 (and in Ireland, 4th March 2005).

There is a rough teaser trailer available online also - just search on Suprnova for the torrent of it.

basquille wrote:
    Well, it's being released in the US on April 22nd 2005.

So, relying it will also be released on Irish screens (as opposed to straight-to-video, depending on how it performs in the States), i'd expect mid - late Summer 2005.

For now, i can give you information that a trailer for the film will be attached to "Elektra" (sequel to 'Daredevil) released in the US on January 14th 2005 (and in Ireland, 4th March 2005).

There is a rough teaser trailer available online also - just search on Suprnova for the torrent of it.

This is the problem - I'm a little worried that the lack of profile for the series means that it may NOT get an Irish release at all...

Supposed to go to the US in March, but I'd definitely change it to late April if I thought it wasn't going to get released here. (So sad, I know...)

I'd hope Irish and UK distributors already had their plans locked in rather than wait to see how something performs. Since the movie is planned to be accessible to even those who haven't seen a second of the series, it should be worth a general release.

In any case, could I be more off-topic? Cheers for the info, Basquille. If you hear of any confirmation, do let me know!

Meanwhile, back on the Ring (sort of) any word of a release for the US version of Japanese fright flick "The Eye"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Eye is Korean or possibly Thai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh COME ON!?

an american version of the eye?
    ffs

jesus, learn to read ****ing subtitles you.. ARGH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It seems there is an American version of everything nowadays.
    Including Taxi, with Queen Latifah as the driver...

Makaveli wrote:
    The Eye is Korean or possibly Thai.

So it is. I stand corrected. (Thai, by the way.)

Mordeth wrote:
    oh COME ON!?

an american version of the eye?
    ffs

jesus, learn to read ****ing subtitles you.. ARGH

*sigh* I sincerely hope that's not directed at me... Why would I be enquiring about a US version if I hadn't seen and thoroughly enjoyed the original?

I really enjoyed the original version of The Eye, but that's not to say that, like The Ring, there cannot be a perfectly good remake as well.

As I said above, I've long defended the US version of The Ring as a pretty damn decent remark, particularly the added Samara backstory (far stronger than the equivalent Sadoka stuff in Ringu, IMO.)

A US version of The Eye may well be able to rework new elements into that concept that makes it a fine film in its own right, while remaining truthful to the original. (Of course, it could be a pile of pants, but the point is we should wait and see before judging...)

I have no problem with US versions of Asian films where it adds to the original, and you wind up with two movies where both have something
    to offer. What I cannot abide is the 'reimagining' of late (Psycho and Planet of the Apes comes to mind) where nothing new or of substance is presented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I like the trailier at least. I can already hear women in the cinema screaming when and people jumping when the eye flashs across the screen.

Other then that i'm not looking forward to this. The original Ringu 2 was my favorite of the three. And since i didn't like the first american version, well naturally i don't have my hopes set to high on this one. The probalem with the first one was that they failed to remake the atmosphere that the janese did with the original.

it was directed at everyone who wants to see a nice US version over a jap subbed one
    I have no problem with US versions of Asian films where it adds to the original, and you wind up with two movies where both have something
    to offer. What I cannot abide is the 'reimagining' of late (Psycho and Planet of the Apes comes to mind) where nothing new or of substance is presented.

it's laziness, and lack of god damn talent.

why don't we get someone to rewrite the lord of the rings, and add some **** to it? or how about if we asked Robert Jordan to rewrite martins "a song of ice and fire" series, I'm sure he could add a little something to it.

or hey, we could ask majel rodenberry to remake babylon 5? or george lucas could remake E.T.? with marvellous new special effects, modern lingo and alien anal probes!!!!!!!!!

Mordeth wrote:
    it was directed at everyone who wants to see a nice US version over a jap subbed one

it's laziness, and lack of god damn talent.

why don't we get someone to rewrite the lord of the rings, and add some **** to it? or how about if we asked Robert Jordan to rewrite martins "a song of ice and fire" series, I'm sure he could add a little something to it.

or hey, we could ask majel rodenberry to remake babylon 5? or george lucas could remake E.T.? with marvellous new special effects, modern lingo and alien anal probes!!!!!!!!!

It's not about adding any old crap to a remake - I'm talking about something that adds to the premise, the characters or the overall movie. In the case of the Ring, I think they largely got it. It doesn't mean the original is any less for it.

I accept that many people are just too lazy to read subtitles and most will see an English version over a superior original. This is just unfortunate, but it's unlikely to change.

With Hollywood's new interest in overseas horror, the remake trend is likely to continue as well. In some cases, they will fail; in others, I'll be happy if there's enough decent elements to make it a good film in its own right.

My argument is that most of these American remakes are different enough to be considered new films in their own right. But just tweaking the story alnoe isn't enough to make a good film - that new backstory has to *itself* be engaging and well written.

The Babylon 5/ET et al argument is flawed. If those films were not in English, it's likely they would be remade from whatever language they had originated in. But because they already are, we won't see them 'reimagined'.

It is the very low profile of Asian cinema, combined with the reluctance of mass audiences to go to subtitled films, that causes the remakes to even exist.

I'm simply saying that, like them or loathe them, that doesn't necessarily make them bad cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Well I haven't watched the trailer yet but I wonder what they will come up with considering that the US Version of the Ring is a mix of both Ringu and Ringu 2 (Jap version), lots of the story of Japanese Ring 2 is already in Ring 1 which includes Samara's Father lines etc. ... Ring Birthday (Ring 0) wouldn't really make any sense as the story is not really linked to Ringu. I guess it's wait and see

doh.ie wrote:
    It's not about adding any old crap to a remake - I'm talking about something that adds to the premise, the characters or the overall movie. In the case of the Ring, I think they largely got it. It doesn't mean the original is any less for it....

I'm simply saying that, like them or loathe them, that doesn't necessarily make them bad cinema.
    Well put. I really enjoyed Verbinski's "Ring" when I caught it in the cinemas and couldn't fathom the way some people savaged it. It was almost as if they thought that it cheapened the original rather than realising it exposed the original to more people than would have happened otherwise. You've pointed out too the elements they added and the atmosphere was generally suitably creepy. For what it's worth, I had seen the original "Ringu" a good bit before "The Ring" ever reached here and I thought, as remakes go, it stood up well. OTOH I disliked "Vanilla Sky" when set against "Abres Los Ojos".

I'm also wondering what fans of the original, who hated the remake, think of the fact that the original director - Hideo Nakata - is directing this one? Or has he betrayed his roots by going to Hollywood? Similarly, for the Ju-On remake.

Not all remakes are bad and if they help expose a new audience to the original, who would otherwise never have seen it, then that can be a benefit too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ixoy wrote:
    I'm also wondering what fans of the original, who hated the remake, think of the fact that the original director - Hideo Nakata - is directing this one? Or has he betrayed his roots by going to Hollywood? Similarly, for the Ju-On remake.

It's an interesting question. Now I can only speak for myself here, but Nakata was already sliding in my estimation with all the naff sequel nonsense, and the "More of the same" effort that was Dark Water. Sequels can be just as destructive to an original film as remakes can tbh.

But lets look at it in another light. John Carpenter is probably the undisputed king when it comes to this remake debate, having made what was probably the only decent remake with The Thing. Yet looking at the man today, he's done some of the most horrid garbage there is.

It's very easy for any director, no matter how great they are/were to keep extruding crap like some blocked up toilet.

Oh, and speaking of remakes, and Carpenter...

...they're remaking Assault On Precinct 13

NO"! NO NO NO!

that film was... well, it was godawful.

but so ****ing godawful it was fantastic!

they're just doing this to hurt me :(

There's a poll on IMDB currently:

How do you feel about the trend of remaking Japanese horror movies like The Ring?

I'm for it -- creeps me out! 1742(35.3%)
    I have absolutely no opinion. 1672(33.9%)
    I'm against it -- the new ones suffer in comparison to the originals. 1515(30.7%)

IMDB users are, generally, more likely to be into their movies and the poll is only open to those who take time to register an account so I was quite surprised to see that the majority, even if slim, are in favour of the remakes. Word of mouth, by some, is that The Grudge is a pretty decent reworking of Ju-On so perhaps it won't be all bad..

ixoy wrote:
    IMDB users are, generally, more likely to be into their movies

You've got to be joking me!
    IMDB user are mostly a heard of braindead AOL'ers.

You've got to be joking me!
    IMDB user are mostly a heard of braindead AOL'ers.
    Nah, take a look at their Top 250. There's a pretty fair representation of films across the decades. The Top 50 is bulging with too many fanboy movies, fair enough (the AOLers you're referring to), but the rest of the list is generally better composed with lots of representation by directors such as Kurosaw, Fellini, Bergman, etc. I assumed then that this broader appreciation of movies would be passed onto their polls.

I'd love to argue with you Ixoy, but this is all going a bit off topic. Why don't we start a new thread about the remake subject and I'll be happy to argue my heart out with you.

Also, I'd nearly surmise that the poll in question is very biased just going by the numbers on imdb.com, seeing as The Ring has over 25000 votes whereas Ringu has over 6000 votes, so it's safe to assume that the vast majority of imdb.com users including those who'd vote on the poll haven't even seen the original film. Of course, that's just speculation going by the imdb.com's numbers. Nothing definative.

I'd love to argue with you Ixoy, but this is all going a bit off topic. Why don't we start a new thread about the remake subject and I'll be happy to argue my heart out with you.

Also, I'd nearly surmise that the poll in question is very biased just going by the numbers on imdb.com, seeing as The Ring has over 25000 votes whereas Ringu has over 6000 votes, so it's safe to assume that the vast majority of imdb.com users including those who'd vote on the poll haven't even seen the original film. Of course, that's just speculation going by the imdb.com's numbers. Nothing definative.

You could argue that the 25,000 The Ring votes versus 6,000 for Ringu is actually a pretty accurate representation of the film-going population at large. It doesn't necessarily mean one film is better than the other, but I am not surprised that one has been seen by a much higher number. It's not just a US thing (most imdb-ers are American) - I wouldn't be surprised if the film-going Irish or UK population had the same 4:1 breakdown of votes to The Ring vs Ringu.

I tend to use imdb.com mostly for information, cast checks and what-not, and not as much for their atrocious boards (design and content alike), so I'm not too bothered by their recommendations or otherwise. IIRC, the site started out as just information-based material anyway, and less a 'community'.

Advertisement