Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Media

Options
  • 17-10-2004 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

I spotted this pasted in irc. Well worth a few minutes to have a read and watch.

Jon Stewart asks the media to stop the theatrics

The transcript of the piece on CNN he's talking about is here and the video stream is here.

He's bang on the money and completely demolished the two talking heads who quickly reverted to name calling and dismissive one-liners out of desperation. It's just a pity more people like this don't sneak (as that's seemingly what it takes) on air.

Ho hum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The other two couldn't debate their way out of a paper bag. He wiped the floor with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I must admit a certain enjoyment from the McLauglain Group on CNBC which is two left-ish and two right-ish commentators with Mac in the middle barking. Dunno if its any better or worse than Crossfire having not seen that.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I must start watching the Daily Show, that was brilliant to watch, he really just destroyed them, and they were obviously aware of how accurate he was...

"I thought you were going to be funny"
    "No.. I'm not going to be your monkey".
    Brilliant!

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i remember watching the Daily show in the US its a great show, i think its on CNN at nights, though i could be mistaken . I heard somewhere its on RTE ? is that true? also if you like the show then i would defo recommend 2 books "America " by jon stewart , v funny and citizen you , both great funny reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

wow...that was really well done. can't say i've heard of the man before but i'll definately make a point to hear more about him from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

yeah your right the Daily show is on late at night during the weekend on CNN. I have only seen one episode of it though and thought it was very funny.

shows a clip of madonna "I wasnt going to come to israel...but now that I have I can see its no more dangerous than new york"

host "jesus we better get the **** out of new york.

classic

its an american verson of exit file which i also thought was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, he's fantastic alright... I was very impressed with his show whilst in New York and, interestingly, his viewers are apparently more politically informed than the average newspaper reader or Jay Leno watcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

NoelRock wrote:
    Yeah, he's fantastic alright... I was very impressed with his show whilst in New York and, interestingly, his viewers are apparently more politically informed than the average newspaper reader or Jay Leno watcher.

this is true

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/28/comedy.politics/index.html

actually read somewhere else that they were more informed than fox w news viewers too. although my goldfish is more politically aware than the average fox w news viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Why is it surprising that people who watch political comedy are more in tune with political events then those who watch general chat-shows with some slight political influence?

I mean, thats like being surprised that people who watch They Think Its all Over know more about sport than people who watch The Late Late Show or something....

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Leno and Letterman viewers scored 49 percent on the quiz. But "Daily Show" viewers scored 60 percent on average.

Scores were even lower for those who read a newspaper or watch network news four days a week.

Comedy Central was waiting for news like this. On September 17, Stewart appeared on Bill O'Reilly's "The O'Reilly Factor" only to be told his viewers are "stoned slackers" and "dopey kids."

"You know what's really frightening?" O'Reilly asked Stewart. " You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it's true."

Comedy Central used its viewers' test scores Tuesday to strike back at Fox News Channel and O'Reilly's viewers.

It also trotted out stats from Nielsen Media Research to show that Stewart's viewers are not only smart, but more educated than O'Reilly's.

"Daily Show" viewers are 78 percent more likely than the average adult to have four or more years of college education, while O'Reilly's audience is only 24 percent more likely to have that much schooling.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/28/comedy.politics/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The Daily Show in on the Comedy Central channel Mondays through Thursdays. I rarely miss it. Very funny, makes a mockery of politicians and the media. You can catch recent clips on their website:
    http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/thedailyshowwithjonstewart/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

FatherTed wrote:
    The Daily Show in on the Comedy Central channel Mondays through Thursdays. I rarely miss it. Very funny, makes a mockery of politicians and the media. You can catch recent clips on their website:
    http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/thedailyshowwithjonstewart/

The one with Bill O'Reilly is great. I'd never heard of this guy before yesterday. Wonderful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement