Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie Burnett gets 148 break

Options
  • 17-10-2004 12:04pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From BBC Sport:
    Scot Burnett compiles 148 break

Jamie Burnett re-wrote the record books by compiling the highest break in the history of professional snooker.
    The Scot completed a total clearance of 148 at the UK Championship qualifiers in Prestatyn on his way to a 9-8 win over Leo Fernandez in the second round.

The break was achieved in the 14th frame after Fernandez had committed a foul, giving Burnett a free ball

Burnett potted the brown as the extra red, then another brown followed by the 15 reds and all the colours.

The world number 49 from Glasgow becomes the first player to make a break of more than 147 in a professional match.

"I didn't even realise I was on it until I'd got over 100 and saw that a 148 was on," he said.

"I didn't really know how to react afterwards. At first I thought it was no big deal, but then I realised I'd made history.

"I went out of the arena to compose myself because I still had to win the match. But I didn't play well afterwards and didn't really deserve to win.

"I'm just glad I got through in the end because it wouldn't have meant as much if I'd been beaten."

Despite creating history, Burnett is not due to receive a cash jackpot as there is no bonus for a highest pre-televised break.

Great break, bit of a kick in the teeth that he doesn't even get anything for it though. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

he will just have to do it again for the TV cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I cant believe he doesnt get anything for it!

Thats fair sh*t!

Advertisement