Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Network Speed

Options
  • 17-10-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hello there anybody who understands networks.

I have recently moved into a privately owned college student village in Limerick and i would like some advice on the network speed. Just to let you know there are approx 70 houses (35 6 bed roomed and 35 3 bedroomed) of which i reckon there are probably about 160 computer connected and using the internet. I asked the manager what type of connection was sevicing the village and he told me there where 4 dsl lines coming into it. If this where true could anyone tell my why we are only capable of gettin speed of 28kbs at the best of times?

Is dsl this slow?
    What speeds would you expect us to be getting?

Any advice please?

Thanks

Moochie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

DSL speeds can range from 128kbps to 2Mbps+ (download speed of 16kBps to ?256kBps+) per line. I presume that you are getting a download speed of 28kBps - as in a connections speed of ?224kbps. You must remember that there are alot of computers connected to those 4 lines and your connection may be limited by whoever installed the network to control the download speeds. I would check with other people availing of the internet access and if they are getting the same or simliar speeds then thats as fast as you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Alright Moochie!

Which village are you in. The connection over here in Courtyard is meant to be on only 2 dsl lines but it's quite fast. Plenty of other problems with the chancers running the network though.....

Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moochie

Heya EpgRiffIn(C),

Over in groody a stone throw away from you. Asked the manager today about the d/l speeds of 28kb and he said there is something being done however i doubt it. Was in jim's house in Courtyard and he was tellin me about the college network problems(Keep the fight goin!) You have gr8speeds of 130Kb/s don't u?

Moochie

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Yeah we get about 130 alright. But it can slow to a crawl at times if someones downloading loads (usually my fault........ :D ) As far as i can see though there's rarely more than about 25 - 30 computers connected here at any one time..... ye've probably got way more.

Later bud

Advertisement