Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi in Galway

Options
  • 17-10-2004 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Is there any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yep, there's a stall in the market that sells Sushi.

Never tried it myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

yeah I've seen that in the market as well .. there's just something fishy about it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I was thinking more of a sushi bar or other restaurant like Aya in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Just not enough interest in it in Galway as far as I can see, I mean, raw fish?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd kill to get regular sushi in Galway. Honestly, we have fish, we have seaweed, what's keeping everyone from serving it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Sarky wrote:
    I'd kill to get regular sushi in Galway. Honestly, we have fish, we have seaweed, what's keeping everyone from serving it?
    Emmm, I think the seaweed in Galway is very different to the nice stuff they use to make sushi. And I won't swim in Galway bay because its full of poo, so I sure as hell am not going to eat lunch out of it.

The sushi stall in the market is vegetarian AFAIK or maybe she uses smoked salmon - I've never been enticed....

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh yes... I forgot! There's that new place, Avo I think it's called down next to the Usit office.
    Haven't partaken of foodage there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Where is the Usit office? Can anyone verify this? Could it be an Aya? :)

Emmm, I think the seaweed in Galway is very different to the nice stuff they use to make sushi. And I won't swim in Galway bay because its full of poo, so I sure as hell am not going to eat lunch out of it.

There are areas where suitable seaweeds are actively cultivated. Not in Galway bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Yoda wrote:
    No it's a really expensive place, I had sushi there once, and I paid €5 for about 5 tiny pieces of sushi, so that's not really an option, is it?

• Advertisement

Usit office ... is on Mary's street ...

its the street ... mcswiggans .. heading towards Golden Rickshaw / mixers / the home plate / la salsa / Sallys

its just between mixers and the usit office ... opposite from some tv place :)

its perpendicular to eglington street ...

dammit .. one beer and there's no shutting me up ...

the food in there is VERY nice according to the gf :) who ate there .. twice I think but they are only open during the day to the best of my knowledge ... very strange menu ... well not strange .. but just not chips and burgers :P

hope that helps :)
    Yoda wrote:

price is no object ...

until it comes to paying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Just as a heads up folks......Avo (Mary St.) is gone!....closed down. I noticed this myself about 2 weeks ago. The stall in the market is the only place I know of that serves sushi in galway.

;-phobos-)

Foiled again! Damn you, Phobos, damn you to Hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Avo is gone! That place had great bagels and smoothies. What a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

Kappa-ya makes sushi - they also run the store in the markets on saturdays. The sushi is good, in the restaurantit is made fresh so thankfully not chilled, not sure about the market sushi.
    Kappa-ya is roughly across from Charlie Byrnes bookshop and Milano pizza restaurant. Sort of near the dole office / Augustinian church part of town but can't remember the name of the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wa Cafe also does sushi, its down near the docks, same street as doc's shop. Its very nice and the people that run are very friendly. I think they are in the process of applying for a license as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Had sushi once in poland and it was unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Where is the Wa cafe?

Kappa Ya and market both have sushi but they don't do anything exotic or tasty like tuna or raw salmon, just do an egg roll/ chicken roll or smoked salmon roll.

Marks and Spencers do sushi plates in their food court, other than that I would recommend making it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SMCG wrote: »
    Kappa-ya is roughly across from Charlie Byrnes bookshop and Milano pizza restaurant. Sort of near the dole office / Augustinian church part of town but can't remember the name of the street.

Middle street's the one your thinking. everyone seems to forget its name for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

The sushi is pretty good at Wa which is just across the street from Sheridans on the Docks plus is open in the evening but kappa ya closes at 5 or 6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Had sushi once in poland and it was unbelieveable.
    thanks for the update on where to get sushi in galway

Sushi is over-priced trollop that wouldn't fill an anorexic chick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Where's Kappa Ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Sushi is over-priced trollop that wouldn't fill an anorexic chick.
    That's great but it doesn't address the original question.

PS: You're obviously rarely eaten sushi if you think that it doesn't fill you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galwayps wrote: »
    The sushi is pretty good at Wa which is just across the street from Sheridans on the Docks plus is open in the evening but kappa ya closes at 5 or 6

Kappa Ya started opening for dinner a while back, not sure if they're still doing it. Prices more expensive than during the day, though.

It's in Middle St (not that hard to remember ... in the middle of Shop St and Augustine St!). A bit down the road from the social-space thing.

Advertisement