Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

body kit

Options
  • 17-10-2004 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

hey im buying a car , probably be an old starlet or fiesta or something , but i want alloys and a body kit for it , anybody be able to tell me how much that would set me back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm sorry, beplease excuse my ignorance but.... HAHAHAHAHAHA.

you want a bodykit for an *old* fiesta or starlet? WHY OH GOD WHY would you do this to yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

ah i think itd look deadly , loads a people drive old cars like that an do nothing to them , if im driving a kinda crappy car i mightaswell do something to it , it be my 1st car and i want it to look mental :D its not that sad is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

when you say old, thats depends how old it is, I had a 93 CRx Del Sol, thats old to me, but looks new, so I kitted it up and tuned it! also a 92 BMW e36 model coupe which is also old but still newish enough model, full kit again with flip paint!

so you mean something around these yrs? or older?? like 80's then theres really no point, you might as well throw your money in the sea, as when you sell the car, you loss all of that, which will set you back around €2k to €2500 if not €3k, thats for a full kit, alloys and respray! you nearly want to have the whole car spray to have it look right, which cost a good bit more! then thats depends what kit you go for around that price range, and for a 80's car theres not much kit nowdays going around! but they could be cheap, so it could well be set you back to €1500 to €2000 for all that, but is it worthy really?

no not that old , im lookin at 94 to 96 range , i saw a suped up starlet the other day 1994 looked cool , i want something like that , i know the wheels be 400 at the cheapest or so i heard , just wondering if ye could let me know for defo what kinda money id be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Are you after just a retro look or are you trying for serious old skool? I have a set of three spoke alloys for a Fiesta but they will only add street cred to something with a 'solid' colour and a cheap bodykit.

I suggest you buy something that is already modified as even a crap bodykit and cheap new wheels will run over €800 and then you have to paint it. And put furry dice in it. Oh and have you room in your budget for a tape player - very important for moshing to Robert Miles....

The Auto Trader mag always has lots of stuff which has been kitted and tooled up - I'd keep an eye to it.

'c

And don't mind JohnCleary, he doesn't appreciate retro ;-p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    i saw a suped up starlet the other day 1994 looked cool
    No. It didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The problem with cosmetic mods is that theyre expensive and unfortunately dont add to the value of a car. When you decide to scrap/sell the car on you'll only get the book value for it. If this is not what your worried about, when you (IF you) get a body kit for it youll see it looks terrible.

My advise is, if your planning on spending 2k for a kit for a 2000euro car, put all the money together and get yourself a newer car and just put alloys on it. My car doesnt have a body kit and it turns heads because its shiny and has nice alloys. It turns heads in a positive "nice car" attitude rather than a "look at the state of that" attitude.

Just my 2c!

yea retro cool , i think them old cars with a good set o wheels and a bit of a supe up look deadly , provided i can do it cheaply , since the car only goina be setting me back about 300-400e

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    no not that old , im lookin at 94 to 96 range , i saw a suped up starlet the other day 1994 looked cool , i want something like that , i know the wheels be 400 at the cheapest or so i heard , just wondering if ye could let me know for defo what kinda money id be looking at

was it just a starlet, or was it the GT? I wouldnt bother putting a kit on a standard starlet tbh, same go for the fiesta if its not a 1.6 zetec, and its true you will loss all them money when you sell it!

spending €2k on a car that only cost you 300 to 400 that is insane!
    if it was something like a 94 integra or something similar and you're getting it for very low price yes but a fiesta or a starlet, if something goes wrong thats your full bodykit sitting in a garage for god knows how long, plus more money to be spent on it to get it fix! but you maybe lucky, the car could be perfect, I haven't seen one that cheap yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Why not figure out how much you are going to spend on the bodykit, add that cash to what you already have to buy the car and then just buy a better car. And interceptor, I don't mean to diss but I have never seen a pair of three spoke alloys look good on any car. Maybe take the advice of dudes here and buy a ready souped car, tell them you don't want any of that tack and you won't pay for it when in reality you crave it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    yea retro cool , i think them old cars with a good set o wheels and a bit of a supe up look deadly , provided i can do it cheaply , since the car only goina be setting me back about 300-400e

you're what i like to call a dumba$$

how old are you? and how many times on a daily basis do you greet your fellow ''buds'' with the word ''stooory''?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Some people like to do up cars. The motors boards is an obvious place to post your desire. If he wants to do up a crappy little car so what? It's his money and it'll make him happy. Just because he doesn't want to drive a VW polo you are putting him down?

Cop on and be helpful if you are going to input at all.

Jesus the snobbery.

thanx clown man , im a gurly and i dont have a clue about cars except id like it to tlook cool and i need a bit of advice , and newband get over yerself would ya , i didnt ask for a running commentary on what you thoughyt about me , i asked for advice on suping up a cruddy car ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Well, I think there is a guy near Tullamore that does up show-cars etc but I'd say he'd be expensive enough. You'd be looking at around 2000+ for an exterior and if you wanted to do up the interior it would be another 2000 on top of that but the price depend completely on what you want done. But he does all aspects of styling and tuning so if you don't really know what your looking for he might be worth a visit.

Your looking at a minmum of €2000 though.

Also, some cars have more kits designed for them than others.

As for performance, if you are looking to tune the actual engine you probably want to go for some sort of GT. If you just want it to look good then your probably better off going for toyota. The starlets will go forever. You don't want your car to break down after 6 months and a lot of very cheap cars will.

If you spend a little more on a slightly newer car and then do it up it might be worth your while.

Also, keep a lookout on www.autotrader.ie for anything you might like. Finding a car you like that has had all the work done to it could be cheaper and less hassle. ( dont know what your into but would an old corrola or a newer and slightly more girly opel corsa be something like what your looking for? The Corsa looks like a good one for a girl but it's a trip to donegal to see it and/or buy it! :p) Also, have a look at the northern cars cause they are mad for doing up their cars up there. You'll have to find out about VRT before you buy any of them.

Seriously though, don't jump into a buy unless you know exactly what you want to do. You could save a lot of money by doing some research. Expect to spend loads of time at this.

A good place to start would be to get onto this guy in tullamore. I have his number around somewhere and I'll pm it to you. He'll be the best person to ask even before buying.

By the way, I didn't kit up a car myself but I was interested in doing some front body work to my alfa at one stage. So I did all the research and ended up going and spending all my money on a sound system instead! :)

Anyway, good luck with it and careful where you put your money.

FX Meister wrote:
    And interceptor, I don't mean to diss but I have never seen a pair of three spoke alloys look good on any car.

Your taste is obviously up your nose. Lots of cool cars (Renault 5 Gordini, Citroen AX GT and my Fiesta) have three spoke wheels. Even the Latvian pimp in Ballinasloe with the silver '88 230E Merc has three spokes and they are Bling-flippin'-bling.

Get thee hence and try harder than that to 'dis the cptr.

'c

P.S OLDYELLAR - look in the Under €1000 section of the Buy and Sell - you will be well looked after...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The old Antera three-spoke rims were stunning, I would've given anything for a set back in the day. Had to settle for TSW's, Antera were out of my league.

adam

yea on thinking about it now , waiting a while and getting something withb stuff already done to it might be a better idea , ah well it seemed like a good idea at the time
    the buy and sell eh? would any of the cars have anything done to them at all on a budget of around 1000e? im a cheap bitch :) i thought ya see id get the car for 300e and then only have to spend 100 to get it lookin a bit funky , that way below budget yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Instead of buying a crap car and trying to make it look nice, why not use your modding money and buy a car that is nice.

sorry i meant 1000 up there not 100 , ok

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, seriously. You can do up a car if you want, but if you have €1300 to spend, then buy a car for €1300. From a dealer.

As much as you think bodykits will look cool (I'm not here to judge), remember that you won't be making any other changes. So although it'll look good on the outside, on the inside it'll still cough and splutter, fail to start when it's cold or wet, and handle like a crazed pig on speed. You'll gradually start spending more and more money just trying to get the damn thing to pass its NCT. Buy a classic Golf in good nick, and your car already has street cred. You should be able to pick them up pretty cheap too.

[Edit: Did a search. Dunno if that link will work. There's plenty of stuff out there. Also remember the smaller the engine, the cheaper the car (in general). So while you may pick up a '91 1.6L machine for €1300, you could also pick up a '98 1.1L machine for the same money. Your insurance will be cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seamus, you should be mod with advice that sound! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Get thee hence and try harder than that to 'dis the cptr.

Wasn't dissing you, just the three spokes. But hey if you like them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

car_mod-thumb.JPG

thanks for the link seamus , i really dont know what i want , a cool lookin car on a tight budget which prolly wont work , but yea gopefully oer the next couple of months something will turn up , the golf might be a good start too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

imo just save a bit more . it would be a good ida to buy a car that wont break down on u in the first 4 months and cost as much to fix as it did to buy . have you looked at how much your insurence will be ? you might need to rethink how ur going to get cash for this car .

get a loan from the bank or just get a job and save . a car that would cost you that much must have somthn wrong with it and wouldnt be worth doing up .

elexes wrote:
    imo just save a bit more . it would be a good ida to buy a car that wont break down on u in the first 4 months and cost as much to fix as it did to buy . have you looked at how much your insurence will be ? you might need to rethink how ur going to get cash for this car .

get a loan from the bank or just get a job and save . a car that would cost you that much must have somthn wrong with it and wouldnt be worth doing up .
    Opinion is divided on this. If you know what to look for, or have a mate who can help there is a massive supply of good, cheap cars. I always have several runabouts in the driveway which I either swap or use until they are sold to pay for something else. The back of every large main dealers has a line of scrappers which are disposed of to the trade - find the right salesdude, make a silly offer and be amazed at the bargains.

If you spend €400 on a car and it lasts three months, it has depreciated less than any three year old or newer family saloon. Or less if you didn't bother to tax it. The car industry loves to tell you that you should buy from 'reputable dealers' and that newer cars are more reliable - which is pants designed to make you spend more and give you a warm fuzzy feeling as you are robbed.

Buy any '96/'97/'98 Honda Accord for a grand, run it for two years and you won't even have to put oil in it - I promise. My ma is driving a '98 Legacy 2.5 quadcam we found for €3,100, NCT'd with 72,000mls and it would put a horn on a monk - you don't need to spend big money to get a fine motor.

Rant over, 'ceptr out

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

could only have said it better if it wasn't in a rant!!

no car I've ever got has cost me more than a grand and at the mo I've 2 sittin outside waitin to be driven 98 civic and 93 primera go look at no nct cars at the back of main dealers or buy and sell even somethin with a bit of crash damage you might pick up for a bargain!!

a mate who knows a bit about cars would be good to bring along aswell!!

yea elexes the insurance goina be between 1400 and 1700 according to eagle star for up to a 1.3 ladfies driver , im selling me scooter to cover that and im working to save for the car
    yea lads had a look on the buy and sell site looks like they be some nice cheap little cars in there ,
    autotrader looked very dear to me i mean a couple of the strarlets and micras looked way over priced considering me da could pick me up a starlet or micra in good nick in the morning for 200-400e tops .
    hope i get something nice now that not costing a bomb to run , im used to3e a week on petrol with da ped :D

hey why dont you design your own bodykit and get it made up, I got the kit made up on the CRX Del Sol I had, it was £600 sterling, not a bad price, and it was done very well, a perfect fit, no cutting needed! if you wanna do that I can dig up the contacts I used on the CRX!

oh make sure the car is mechanically sound, thats what you really need to look out for, if you gonna put bodykit on it get it respray at the same time, its better, but its up to you!

• Advertisement

cool idea , might see if i can buy a car with it already done though now , sounds like it may be a better idea
    must o been well cool doing your own though was it?

Advertisement