Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus christ,

Options
  • 18-10-2004 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I have had e-****ing-NOUGH of the Strokes. Every single one of my friends, who usually have good taste in music, is brainwashed by NME and Rolling Stone and all these hip, trendy music-for-ponces rags.

The Strokes (and the Libertines too) are CRAP. Their songs ALL sound THE SAME, the lead "singer" can't sing for nuts - he just makes vague groaning sounds. The guitars are RUBBISH (you'd think with three guitars being played they would manage to come up with something decent, wouldn't you? Well, you'd be wrong.), the drummer is USELESS (give a duracell bunny a drumkit and he'd do a better job), and the bassist epitomises "mediocre".

I've tried to listen to them, to see what it is other people like about them. I have come to believe that I was absent the day the music world was brainwashed by the US government into listening to (and liking) complete and utter pap.

Or perhaps it's a conspiracy by the American Bible-belters? Maybe they were sick of their children being "polluted" by "Satan's music", and decided to formulate the blandest, most boring, uninteresting, talentless piece-of-**** band they could, in order to turn the world away from music?

Because the songs themselves couldn't be farther from distinctive. I listened to the album twice, and in both successions I couldn't distinguish one capsule of boredom from the next. Each mindless, useless, unimaginative formulaic song led into the next, in a miasma of sheer drivel. I can't believe that on a couple of million liner notes, that puppet of a frontman got credit for being a "songwriter". I just can't.

I mean, at least the Spice Girls could (barely) sing. And their songs were (somewhat) catchy. But not so The Strokes. If they had even 10 seconds of interest in their song, their vacuous heads would explode, sending those pretty faces and that beautifully "hip" hair flying across the room to splatter into a wall.

But you know, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing after all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I sense that you are angry about something

do you want to talk about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

well i totally agree....
    i hate all this boring ****e :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Now THAT, my friends, is how to rant.
    Incredibly well said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

A well written informative post, which I have to agree with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I remember a classic quote from one of the guys in my English classes when first big strokes album came about. Some guy had just come in late, and the teacher said "Every day you arrive late, it's always the same, the same, the same." Then he paused, and one of the guys down the back said "Sounds like a Strokes album sir".

To which the teacher said "The Strokes? I guess if you're going to have a band that plays repeditive music, thats a rather apt name."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Id agree. A couple of my friends had thier first album and thought it was the dogs bollocks for about a week then got bored to tears of it. I just dont listen tot hem cause ive never really been one for hip trendy bands.
    Theyre the kind of 'rock' band its okay for people who wear calvin klien to like :rolleyes:
    And while were ranting about sh!te bands, im surprised noones mentioned the thrills yet. Now THATS an ironically apt name for one of the dullest, most miserable whey faced, whining wretch of a band. Seems like they took all the creativeness of Wilco, dulled it down, removed any kind of emotion, and sold it to MTV.
    'Whatevar haaaaaapened...zzzzzzzz..to corey....zzzzzzzzz...haaaaaaim, haaaaaaim...wake me up when the songs over...haaaaaaaaaaim'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Deadwing wrote:
    Id agree. A couple of my friends had thier first album and thought it was the dogs bollocks for about a week then got bored to tears of it. I just dont listen tot hem cause ive never really been one for hip trendy bands.
    Theyre the kind of 'rock' band its okay for people who wear calvin klien to like :rolleyes:
    And while were ranting about sh!te bands, im surprised noones mentioned the thrills yet. Now THATS an ironically apt name for one of the dullest, most miserable whey faced, whining wretch of a band. Seems like they took all the creativeness of Wilco, dulled it down, removed any kind of emotion, and sold it to MTV.
    'Whatevar haaaaaapened...zzzzzzzz..to corey....zzzzzzzzz...haaaaaaim, haaaaaaim...wake me up when the songs over...haaaaaaaaaaim'
    Heh, that reminds me of when an American relative was visiting here recently, she was all "I apologise on behalf of America for George Bush and his crimes against humanity", so I said "Well, we apologise on behalf of Ireland for The Thrills and their crimes against music"..

(an uncharacteristically witty moment admittedly.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The Strokes are a real good band. While they're not the second coming, it's not The Strokes' problem that they were risen to god-like status by the press, just cause they were bored. Look at the full picture first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Deadwing wrote:
    And while were ranting about sh!te bands, im surprised noones mentioned the thrills yet. Now THATS an ironically apt name for one of the dullest, most miserable whey faced, whining wretch of a band.

What about their 3rd rate clones Hal? Dire dire dire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

rant/

do you all remember the episode of The Simpsons with 'the leader' ("na na na na na na Leader, leader, batman....") remeber the low nutrient gruel the people were fed so that they would have no resistence to the leader - this bland music is exactly the same.

music is food for the soul and if you listen to dull, flat, flavorless, insipid music, you (or your soul) will also have no resistence, no fire, no passion. this is what the strokes and other such music is - poison for the soul.

this music is all part of the űber sanitised society we "live" in today, most popular music is effected by intensly hygenic bull****, all the same...a great homogenous goo of sappy crappy soul killing ****. it goes hand in hand with this society in which people are terrified to stand out, be different or, the biggest sin of all, NOT BE TRENDY!!!

this is all a massive conspiricy to keep the people down. if religion was the opiet of the people and religion is on the decline, the powers that be now need a new tool to keep the people down. this tool is the bland trendy society which has been created exaples of this change: reality tv, the death of mtv, music like the strokes and the constant fear which is present in society today of some attack or economic failure of some kind or health risks. no one can speak out about anything or else they are a terrorist or a racist. if you say anything which does not run with the norm you are automatically labled a crazy fanatic and are ignored.

i'm too lazy to rant further but check out the lyrics to 'the seperation of church and skate' by nofx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ah look, there has always been crap music, through every generation. You'll find it's usually pimped by the media at the behest of record companies looking to make some $$$ from a few shells before they invent the "next big thing".

If you want to avoid crap music, then avoid MTV. Avoid the mainstream radio stations. Avoid the pulp music media who are always telling you what band are the new old band (NME etc).

You'll find great new music by talking to people and going to see bands, by checking out sites on the internet. There isn't really an excuse anymore to be subjected to shyte music. It's never been easier to find good music.

Deadwing wrote:
    im surprised noones mentioned the thrills yet. Now THATS an ironically apt name for one of the dullest, most miserable whey faced, whining wretch of a band.

Correct. I'd never listen to them until i saw them at witness last year, because people had recommended them. They were playing and I was bored, so I decided to leave, and couldn't get over the number of people trying to get into the tent to see them?! Its amazing what a little MTV will do, especially since a lot of the stuff on it is just sheeeite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Well i dont have cable so im stuck with MTV ireland...which is, in all fairness, dross. It doesnt even play music anymore ffs. As Doc J said tho the good music is out there waiting to be found on the internet, on forums like this very one!
    Right now im listening to

Mad capsule markets
    Tool
    Meshuggah
    Melvins
    Interpol

Some of it may not be 'new' music, but its alot better than the sh!te you find in 'popular' media :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

always thought they were axtermely bland and very drab at oxegen

like last night tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

most bands these days with "the" at the beginning are pure **** distilled into crappy cd's with 70's haircuts and ****ty artwork on their album sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

A great place I have found to find some great metal bands from all genres apart from black/death would be Bloodstock, some superb bands there, I particularly recommend EVergrey + Threshold who played this year. But not only does Bloodstock show some awsome larger bands (Bodom, Sonata, and Gammaray) but theres also so many excellent bands that arent quite so big, there wasnt a band on the main stage I wouldnt like to hear again some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'd agree in relation to most of what you're saying, although I think they're good for a quick listen but there's no real substance to their music. However, while the bass and drum statements are DEFINITELY true for the Strokes (that rhythm section is absolutely appalling) I don't agree if you're saying that same for the Libertines drummer. He's not half bad, and I wouldn't put him in the same category as Mr Straight Beat Strokes Drummer. He's no Peart or Bonham, but he's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I liked The Strokes first album, thought it was rather excellent infact. But I got bored of it quickly, didn't care too much for the second album.

Tbh they are part of this reinvention of rock n' roll to appeal to the trendier better off class of people. Tbh the whole point about rock (and many other types of music) is that it is supposed to be somewhat challenging. People living in countries with a bad economy or society will listen to this type of music. Whereas more comfortable nations aren't interested in being challanged. They want music to listen to around the coffee table.

The Strokes fall into the catagory of a band who are slightly alternative and well marketed for people who aren't really all that into music, people who will generally listen to what their radio tells them to (The Hives, The Thrills etc...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Who are the strokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I don't agree if you're saying that same for the Libertines drummer. He's not half bad, and I wouldn't put him in the same category as Mr Straight Beat Strokes Drummer. He's no Peart or Bonham, but he's not bad.

Yeah, I had noticed that alright. He's the best of a bad lot.

What really annoys me though, are these trendy music magazines. I used to think that Metal Hammer et al were rubbish for people who liked pure noise. But I'm beginning to see the attraction with it - at least fashion doesn't impinge on the music, unlike in say NME. I can tell you one thing - I'll be glad to see the death of the "The ___" phase of music, and its associated lackeys, because it was largely crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Come on, now, The Who were rather good...

Yeah, The is generally a bad sign, but there are some excellent exceptions though.

Hell, even The The are ****e (and also very hard to find on google)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah, The is generally a bad sign, but there are some excellent exceptions though.

Hell, even The The are ****e (and also very hard to find on google)

I think The The are class!

I think most music magazines are only fit for wiping your arse with, the only one I like is the Wire but it's useless if you want to find out about normal music.

I've never really read music magazines, I just try people's recommendations, and I've found my own way as a result.

And I don't like The The....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sometime you just really wan to hear something different so invariably end up buying a crappy magazine. I've even went as far as to try Amazon.com's editors picks - which despite having a lot of crap did lead me to Ted Leo and The Phamacists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

ah i think the strokes are pretty good... the guitarists are fairly talented compared to most... id like to see you, Mr.Pet write guitar like reptilia, very well written in my opinion... if you wanna talk about terrible bands, pick on franz ferdinand, or the futureheads

you'd like to the death of the "the_____" phase of music? what? man you must no nothing about good music.. and "the_____" bands have been around for "yonks".......
    THE doors
    THE who
    THE divine comedy
    THE band
    queens of THE stone age (haha sorry had to add that :-p)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

/agrees with topic - The Strokes are abyssmal, like listening to a dirge with a bungee cord Doppler-shifting the rhythm.

I'm quite taken with The Shins - their Chutes Too Narrow has got some (Heaven preserve me for saying this) quite catchy tunes on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

You know he's not talking about The Who and The Doors now, in all fairness. I'm going to have to disagree about Reptilia. I think any number of other bands could've written that song.
    And saying he doesn't 'no' anything about decent music because he wants the end of The ____ music is a tad harsh.

• Advertisement

well they both are "the" bands.... thats like me saying, oh i cant wait for the end of bands which are only 1 word names... tad bit unintelligent

Advertisement