Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus christ,

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No, it's not a thing like that. By saying "The ____" bands, we all know he's talking about this current wave of bands that all have "The ____" names and all sound the same. Stop being a pedantic muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I keep thinking of that Sum 41 video in which the record label are trying to get them to change their name to "The Sums". I think it's THIS kind of mentality that we're talking about, not the original Thes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Waltons wrote:
    I keep thinking of that Sum 41 video in which the record label are trying to get them to change their name to "The Sums". I think it's THIS kind of mentality that we're talking about, not the original Thes
    Yes, it is. And if 2+2=5 wasn't such a pedantic muppet (well put) he'd realise that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Please don't mention The Strokes and The Libertines in the same sentence. I've liked The Strokes since the beginning, and No I dont read NME or Rolling Stone, theyre a decent band. The libertines on the other hand are complete ****e, they're just a band that are "cool" to like. Theres nothing cool about them, including their junkie guitarist. Then to add insult to injury they put him on the new album cover looking strung out - assholes !!!!!
    As for The Thrills, they're a tad "samey", as in, all their songs sound the same. They've done well for a group of Upper Class "Rock" (as in Blackrock) boys who've never wanted for anything.... :p
    The problem with these music threads is that people will always disagree with each other because everybody likes somebody elses pet hate band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

so im a pedantic muppet because, i think its ridiculous that pet will be glad to see the end to the "THE" bands?? isnt being glad to see the end of the "The" bands quite narrow minded though (obviously you will all disagree cos i like the strokes)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Spunky

Now Im usually one to know the name of an artist and whatever song they play.But everytime I hear myself (unfortuantly) listening to the Thrills or the Strokes I think who the hell are they? Every single time. I knew soemone who couldnt GIVE his thrills tickets away. Now I can remeber every single song from the Spice Girls (my childhood-the good old days) so why cant I remember one song forom the thrills/strokes? Because its totally s***e,. Thats why. Just plain dull, I wonder If the thrills named themselves because they thought it was Ironic, or do the ythink there exciting??! :rolleyes:

Boop.

I wouldn't call it being narrow minded because in a whole LOT of the cases the band are nothing more than mediocre. The Hives, The Vines, The Strokes and The Thrills just to name a few, but it IS just a matter of opinion in the end.
    Oh, and you're being called a pedantic muppet because you claimed that he was also talking about bands like The Who and The Doors when it was quite clear that he wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

sometimes we just need to have the blandness and predictability of the strokes to help us appreciate how brilliant other bands out there really are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 museslave

seems like 2+2=5 is making a better point here...
    Pet never said in his original statement that bands like the doors and the who wernt included in his little rant so you cant really stick up for him..
    and i think it is a bit backwards to say 2+2=5 is a pedantic muppet, because you (waltons, and pet) are saying how the bands are simply mediocre... do you think the bands only use "the" so that the can fit into a certain musical type of genre... its just a name, get over it...

Yes, because The Strokes are so easily comparable to The Who. It would seem at the moment also that while the the The bands might not be using their name to fit into a category, they are all quite similiar.
    And it's obvious that he's not just talking about the name more so than what their music actually sounds like :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Pet never said in his original statement that bands like the doors and the who wernt included in his little rant so you cant really stick up for him..

Oh god, anyone with a shred of common sense could tell that I meant the current slew of "The" bands, rather than the classics. Some things shouldn't need to be clearly stated - ever heard of the word "infer"? Look it up, and stop trying to nitpick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Spunky wrote:
    Now Im usually one to know the name of an artist and whatever song they play.But everytime I hear myself (unfortuantly) listening to the Thrills or the Strokes I think who the hell are they? Every single time. I knew soemone who couldnt GIVE his thrills tickets away. Now I can remeber every single song from the Spice Girls (my childhood-the good old days) so why cant I remember one song forom the thrills/strokes? Because its totally s***e,. Thats why. Just plain dull, I wonder If the thrills named themselves because they thought it was Ironic, or do the ythink there exciting??! :rolleyes:

Boop.
    Is that an endorsement of the Spice Girls? :p

Advertisement