Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Briens Sandwich Bar on-campus - rip off

Options
  • 18-10-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

did anyone else notice that the price of sandwiches went up by .50cent last week!!!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I cant say i noticed but they are generally way too expensive anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Chicken and Bacon tripledecker.....mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

yes but the price of drink has just come down in all the pubs I frequent, what do I spend more money on, drink or food, hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

O'Briens sandwiches are the nicest on campus imo, but they are a lot dearer than the centra ones (centra ones usually about €1.80 a sandwich). Hadn't realised that there was a price increase though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What the fudge?
    Another reason not to eat there. I'll be off to perk in the conway for lunch today, €2.65 for my large soup and bread. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I like the grind. It gives you good sandwitches. mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The grind was always the best for food. No contest tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah but out in richview campus O'Briens is all we have!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 toastyred

i don't think the sports centre obriens has gone up..Ya cant beat a toasted cheese and bacon sambo!! Ya just can't...

Yeah you can... Perk soup on a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Chick n Bacon 3riple decker any day, But for me once a week. Fills me up as much as a meal in the Fourm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

centra has become a personal favourite of mine too.their rolls are savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

....the conway for lunch today
    That is actually a nice place, they make a grand cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yes, they also make a grand muesli yogurt for €2.85. Sandwiched are generally €3.60, if you "eat out" (not that it should make any difference anyway). The soup is about the only good value thing in Perk. Mind you, their coffee is excellent, unrivalled on campus.
    O'Briens on campus were always, cheaper than O'Briens elsewhere AFAIK, probably just bringing themselves in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

FOOLS! I can manage to get through a day by binging in the morning and having a tasty apple when i get into school 45c of tasty goodness. Mind you the sandwiches in the SU shop are pretty good value. And If i have a practical class somtimes I fix up a sandwich in the morning before i leave. I already pay 6 euro a day for travel and untill i get my job (starting on thrusday :D) I cant get my my Monthly ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

<<centra has become a personal favourite of mine too.their rolls are savage>>

Someone posted that they get their roll in Centra (i assume its the one in merville residences) for €1.80, I went out of my way to walk their to get my roll for lunch as opposed to going to The Grind where they charge €3.50 a roll.

To my surprise after the roll was weighed it cost €4.18!!!! I was both shocked and surprised, as the roll wasnt even that nice!
    Id like to know where the €1.80 ones are hidden!

Rainbow Kirby plz tell me more about this large soup in the Conway Perk( is this the one next to the Restaurant? (the one upstairs looking over the green)
    Is it worth it? and how much/what kind of bread do you get?

<<And If i have a practical class somtimes I fix up a sandwich in the morning before i leave.>>

I would do this if I didnt start at 9am every morning and have to get up at 7am as it takes me a good hour and abit to get in to college!. What course are you doin'?

Conway Perk is the one in the new Conway Institute behind the science block. There's another Perk in the commerce block. You get 2 fairly thick slices of bread, usually some kind of yummy crusty white bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

centra has become a personal favourite of mine too.their rolls are savage
    couldn't agree more, much better than the grind rolls imo

Intel wrote:
    Someone posted that they get their roll in Centra (i assume its the one in merville residences) for €1.80, I went out of my way to walk their to get my roll for lunch as opposed to going to The Grind where they charge €3.50 a roll.

To my surprise after the roll was weighed it cost €4.18!!!! I was both shocked and surprised, as the roll wasnt even that nice!
    Id like to know where the €1.80 ones are hidden!

Nah the sandwiches are about €1.80, the rolls are dearer, although they're usually not more than €2.50. What did you get put into it?

Oh and I agree totally on the Perk soup - lovely lunch for just €2.65!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

What did you get put into it?

Chicken, cheese, tomato and lettuce....hardly extravagent but i suppose the chicken must have weighed a lot.

I'll definately be trying the large soup in Perk soon enough!

btw, blondie are you involved in French Soc? If so, do you know when they are going to start showing weekly films? (on wednesdays i believe)

• Advertisement

French soc? No I'm afraid not - Je ne parle pas bon Francais! Actually I haven't done French in so long that thats probably the wrong way to say it :p The chicken can make the rolls a lot dearer, but the price still seems a bit extreme for it. Definitely try out Perk though - and don't be put off by the "interesting" soup flavours, cos they usually taste really nice :cool:

Damn right!
    Goats cheese and red pepper = yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I bought a yellow snack bar in the Arts cafe and was astonished to hear the cashier ask 90 cents for it!I'm worse for forking it over..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

the rolls in Centra are always so expensive.. no matter what u get in them!! don't know how one could have cost 1.80.. unless it was just a roll... :rolleyes:
    O'Briens on-campus is cheaper than anywhere in the city.. but mainly just because they don't charge an eat-in extra.. which they do everywhere else!!!

I have resorted to makin up my own sarnies tbh.. it's just too expensive.. but still end up buying 2 cups of tea a day.. out of boredom and the dreaded chill factor!! They do in fairness have a loyalty card.. which is a bonus :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Tips for a cheap lunch, Upstairs in the restuarant you can get a bowl of soup and about 3 breadrolls for only about 2.50 but it doesnt fill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I wouldn't touch the restaurant soup. Absolute rubbish. Skip the soup get about 6 bread rolls intead, some butter and jam. You'll never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You should especially avoid the tomato soup.If evil were ever a soup truly it would be that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

The rolls in centra are far from speical, in fact I'd venture to say theyre below the average deli fare around Dublin. 3:80 odd I was charge for a Chicken Tikka and stuffing roll there, scabby portions aswell. 2:65 in Dunnes where theyr'e fairly generous with unlimited fillings!

Food on cumpus is generally a ripoff, the charging for sauces and vinegar in the Restaurant is a ****ing scandal :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Well I'm not in UCD but I do work in a city centre O'Briens.

Recommended prices across the franchise (franchisees are free to up them if they want):

Regular Sandwich (1 main filling, 3 salads) - €3.50
    Bagel/Roll (1 main, 3 salads) - €3.65
    Wrap (1 main, 3 salads) - €3.50
    Extra main filling - €0.75
    Extra salad - €0.65

Chicken & Bacon Tripledecker - €4.55
    (Chicken mayo, lettuce, thin toast, bacon, coleslaw, onion)

Soup - €2.95

O'Briens water - €1.50 (1l bottle €2.05)
    Soft drink bottles etc etc etc €1.65
    Orange juice (bottle) €1.85

yada yada yada

If they're charging any more they're really ripping you off. In the good old days (well about a month ago) it was €2.99 for a catfood... oops sorry tuna sandwich.

• Advertisement

Are O'Briens supposed to count relish as an extra sauce even if you only have cheese and sweetcorn with it? I was in the one in the Square about 2 weeks ago, on my lunch from work and that's the wrap I was getting. Got to the till and she said '€4.15'. I questioned this, then not satisfied with the response I was getting I just said 'Me ****e am I paying that for a wrap!' and walked off. Yummy Dominos pizza for me that day.

Advertisement