Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Knight to check out links with Republic

• 18-10-2004 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Not that he is any way decent.
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1269989&issue_id=11558
    [font=Verdana, Arial] FULHAM defender Zat Knight has declared an interest in representing the Republic of Ireland.
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Knight is hoping to benefit from FIFA's limited amnesty, which benefits those who have represented a country at under-age level, but who have not been capped at senior level and wish to change their allegiance - a procedure Manchester City striker Jon Macken has already taken advantage of this season. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Speaking after Fulham's 4-2 defeat by Liverpool on Saturday, Knight, who has won England U-21 caps, outlined his desire to explore the possibility of playing for Ireland, while at the same time conceding the lack of opportunities for England had driven his quest. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]"Maybe I should be looking at different avenues, what with the World Cup coming up in two years' time," said Knight, with a singular display of opportunism bound to be noted by Richard Dunne and Gary Breen, amongst others. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]"I'm aware that I can still play for the Republic of Ireland and that is something that I have been seriously considering. I am at an age where I am playing regularly in the Premiership, one of the best leagues in the world. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]"I don't say that I have been overlooked by England, but if I can look down another road and try to get into their team, then maybe I should. As far as England is concerned, I know it's going to be hard for me to break into the side." [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Knight will have to act quickly to expedite the paperwork to confirm his switch, believed to based on his Irish ancestry, but the FAI and Irish manager Brian Kerr would have to give their final assent to his change of mind. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial] At 6fr 6ins, the 24-year-old Knight, now five years at Fulham having spent the early part of his career at Peterborough, has attributes which are clear enough. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]However, with current incumbents Andy O'Brien and Kenny Cuinningham heading a list which also includes Breen, Dunne, John O'Shea, Gary Doherty and John Thompson, Knight's qualities would have to be singularly outstanding in order for him to force his way into the Irish team for forthcoming friendlies against Croatia and Portugal. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]David Kelly[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

knight would be a really good player to have if ireland could get him... anytime ive seen him he's been strong...

He's still pretty young (for a central defender), but id definitely think he'd be a great acquisition...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he's about as good as titus bramble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

mayordenis wrote:
    he's about as good as titus bramble.

i think that's a bit unfair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Titus has had his bad days, but thats kicking him while he is down! :D

I dont rate Zat as a top quality player - he is strong, reasonably fast and decent in the air, but he is still a bit of a mullucker though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i think that's a bit unfair...

yeah it probably was a tad i was tired so forgive me, but he is not a top quality player as stated by Boro, i would pick Kenny when hes 50 over him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He's been overlooked by England because he's crap. I would probably pick Breen ahead of Knight if he was playing for Ireland, and that is saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Ah yes, that traditional irish name...Zat. Sounds like a sound effect from batman dont it?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I don't like his attitude of openly declaring us as second best just because he can't get into the english squad. I mean the guy obviously has no interest in the country at all and wants to play purely for career forwarding motives. I know he's not the first but I don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Your dead right Bill, it would be a joke if he pulls on the Irish jersey. The simple fact is not a question of can he add to team but rather would he have any pride in wearing the green? I think it's plainly obvious that the answer is no. I think Brian Kerr would be very reluctant to bring him in too.
    knight would be a really good player to have if ireland could get him... anytime ive seen him he's been strong...

He's still pretty young (for a central defender), but id definitely think he'd be a great acquisition...

I think this is a terrible attitude to have about International football. This isn't club football Echelon. To talk about players as acquisition's at international level is just wrong. I really hope Brian sees sense and ignores this mercenary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't like his attitude of openly declaring us as second best just because he can't get into the english squad. I mean the guy obviously has no interest in the country at all and wants to play purely for career forwarding motives. I know he's not the first but I don't like it.
    I don't agree with calling Knight up no matter how good he is (although I have suspisions that if Knight was really highly rated he'd be welcomed by a more Irish) but his attitude is no different to someone like Mcateer, Holland or Carsley. The difference here is Knight is being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Every country in World Football has taken advantage of the ancestory rule. Look at the amount of players of West Indie or Jamaican birth/decent who've played for England..... what about Owen Hargreaves??? The Dutch have done it with players from Surinam (Rijkaard & Gullit to name but 2), the French have used countless players from former African colonies too.... There is absolutely no reason why we should not use this rule to our advantage. We're not on a level playing field with everyone else otherwise.

Clintún O'Morrisson was in the same boat a few seasons ago if everyone remembers correctly, humming and hawing about whether to wait for an England call-up? I don't see many people complaining now. What about Razor Ray!, Aldridge, Lawrenson, Townsend, McCarthy??? We've done it before.

Zat Knight is an excellent player. He's from Aston, and has been a Villa fan all his life. I too am a Villa fan, and during last summer there was a supporters campaign on the official Villa website to try sign this guy. I've paid attention to him whenever Fulham play coz of the Villa connection, and he is an excellent defender. I know it's not much of a realistic measure of a players ability, but check how many points he scores in fantasy football leagues....... he was one of the top defenders last year in a mediocre team. Liverpool are rumoured to be tracking him.

He's 6ft 6'. Like all good defenders he doesn't dive into tackles unless it's a last resort, he stays on his feet and ushers people away from the danger area. He's intelligent.

There's a party in Germany in the summer of 2006 with our names written all over it. If Knight helps us get to that party, I don't see the harm. I say bring him in.

Cunninghams not gonna last much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you! :eek: Totally agree.

Yes there have been others, but his blatant view of us being only a way for HIM to play in the World Cup puts me off. Most others knew how to shut their gobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I dont mind if Knight is called up, but what does bother me is Knight thinking that by Declaring for Ireland he will be playing in the World Cup 2006. Its clear Cunningham and O'Brain are the pair Brian want at the back and it would be incrediably diffacult for Knight to break up that partnership. Iits the same thing with Morrison a few years back, he declared for Ireland because he thought he would be playing in the World Cup 2002 and i think he said he wanted to be Ireland top scorer. Its doesnt always work out like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Dewey wrote:
    I dont mind if Knight is called up, but what does bother me is Knight thinking that by Declaring for Ireland he will be playing in the World Cup 2006. Its clear Cunningham and O'Brain are the pair Brian want at the back and it would be incrediably diffacult for Knight to break up that partnership. Iits the same thing with Morrison a few years back, he declared for Ireland because he thought he would be playing in the World Cup 2002 and i think he said he wanted to be Ireland top scorer. Its doesnt always work out like that.
    True its just the pure presumption of some players. Its almost as if they think that Irealnd is a second rate team who would imediately welcome them and their dubious talents. Its all about respect, and some of these paddy-wannabees just have none for their presumed-adopted nation.

A few years ago Ireland were almost known as England-B. Do we really want that again? No matter how promising some of these players are, i would say reject them unless they can really show that they are or want to be known as irish.

wynters wrote:
    Every country in World Football has taken advantage of the ancestory rule. Look at the amount of players of West Indie or Jamaican birth/decent who've played for England..... what about Owen Hargreaves??? The Dutch have done it with players from Surinam (Rijkaard & Gullit to name but 2), the French have used countless players from former African colonies too.... There is absolutely no reason why we should not use this rule to our advantage. We're not on a level playing field with everyone else otherwise.

Clintún O'Morrisson was in the same boat a few seasons ago if everyone remembers correctly, humming and hawing about whether to wait for an England call-up? I don't see many people complaining now. What about Razor Ray!, Aldridge, Lawrenson, Townsend, McCarthy??? We've done it before.

Zat Knight is an excellent player. He's from Aston, and has been a Villa fan all his life. I too am a Villa fan, and during last summer there was a supporters campaign on the official Villa website to try sign this guy. I've paid attention to him whenever Fulham play coz of the Villa connection, and he is an excellent defender. I know it's not much of a realistic measure of a players ability, but check how many points he scores in fantasy football leagues....... he was one of the top defenders last year in a mediocre team. Liverpool are rumoured to be tracking him.

He's 6ft 6'. Like all good defenders he doesn't dive into tackles unless it's a last resort, he stays on his feet and ushers people away from the danger area. He's intelligent.

There's a party in Germany in the summer of 2006 with our names written all over it. If Knight helps us get to that party, I don't see the harm. I say bring him in.

Cunninghams not gonna last much longer

It's all well and good you comparing this situation to past situations where this rule has been used but your argument does not stand up except in the case of Morrison, who I also believe should not be representing Ireland.

First player you mentioned Hargreeves, has an English mother.

Gullit and Rijkaard were brought up in Holland.

Zat Knight has no affilation to our country, I'm sure he knows nothing of the history or culture and would be suprised if has ever stepped foot here.

As for going back down the road we did before, I'd hate to see that day ever return, in passing years the number of Irish born players in the squad has increased and I'd love to see that trend continue.

How long do we have to be the butt of English jokes about being an English Reserves team?? If we pick Knight we are doing doing nothing to dispell those criticisms. Are we not better than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely we could be better than that by just ignoring it, and not caring. If somebody wants to play for Ireland thats their choice, and if they are availible to do so and want to do so, who are we to say that they aren't Irish?
    For all you know, his grandfather could have thought him all about Irish culture and perhaps he feels a strong irish connection, you don't know if he does or not.

The only thing I want from the national team when they play is 100% committement.
    After that I dont care who plays for the team, once they wear it with pride

With Zat Knight all you will get is someone trying to play International football to further their career and seek and extra few quid in wages.

If he had a strong Irish connections don't you think he would have mentioned it?

Quotes from Knight:

"Maybe I should be looking at different avenues, what with the World Cup coming up in two years' time," said Knight, with a singular display of opportunism bound to be noted by Richard Dunne and Gary Breen, amongst others.

"I'm aware that I can still play for the Republic of Ireland and that is something that I have been seriously considering. I am at an age where I am playing regularly in the Premiership, one of the best leagues in the world.

"I don't say that I have been overlooked by England, but if I can look down another road and try to get into their team, then maybe I should. As far as England is concerned, I know it's going to be hard for me to break into the side."

Are these the words of a man who would be fullfilling a lifelong dream of representing his country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No but I don't think that matters?

If that resulted in him playing **** then he can be dropped for his entire career, but if hes good enough and wants to play for the national team, and is allowed to by the laws, then ok, its fine by me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I just found out today that once we hit 1st January 2005 no player over the age of 21 can change alliance if they've already played for a country at underage level. Players under the age of 21 can change.

So this "new rule" that we all talk about is not really a new rule, just a one-year amnesty (as Kerr described it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Should try and get Knight then and maybe see if Nolan will move as well......doesnt seem to be any chance England want him! when he was playing in PL even the U21's played first division players instead but he could be a useful addition to the squad! better than Holland and Kinsella I think!

From what I have heard thought didnt Kerr say the only players to approach was Macken and Gallen(QPR)??

• Advertisement
Advertisement