Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a bike

Options
  • 18-10-2004 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, as the title would suggest, I'd like to build my own bike. I already have a good one (mbk) but just for fun, I want to build another mbk.
    Ideally I'd like to do this for under a grand. I'm thinking that the most expensive bits would be the frame and then the suspension forks (it will be a hard tail). Now, I can order all the parts from the interweb, that's the easy part, but the hard part will be putting evrything together.
    Has anyone here ever built their own bike? If so, how did it work out? Any tips/tricks? I will, of course, be looking up every link I can find on the web to see what other people have done, but if anyone here can offer any advice, then please do!

thanks for listening!

KR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try to plan it out before you go buying anything. Make a list of absolutely everything you needs, down to the tubes in your wheels and the allen bolt for your seattube.

Then price it all up, including delivery, and make sure you're not over (or over by too much). The last thing you need is to have most of the bike sitting there, and to be short a €100 part, and also short €100.

Also make sure parts are compatible, particularly - buy the right-sized headset, bottom-bracket and seatpost (both in length and diameter) for your frame. Buy a compatible rear hub, cassette and chain. Different amounts of gears have different cassette sizes. If you buy your drivetrain in a groupset, you won't have any problems.

If you plan on building it yourself, and aren't too familiar with bike maintenance, then get familiar. Most bike shops won't be overly crazy about you turning up with parts and asking them if you can use their tools, without having bought anything there. So you'll need some of your own tools. Don't skimp. Cheap tools wear out very quickly, and damage your bike.

What you'll need to build/maintain a bike (properly):
    Screwdrivers, both type of head.
    Full set of metric allen keys (2mm-8mm)
    Full set of metric spanners (6mm-19mm)
    Large Adjustable Spanner (1.5"-2" max opening)
    Small adjustable Spanner (not necessary, but uber-handy)
    Crank Extractor
    Bottom Bracket Tool
    Chain tool (chain breaker)
    Cassette tool (used when adding/removing the rear cogset)
    Chain Whip (used in conjunction with the cassette tool)
    Spoke key (if you are building your own wheels, it would very advisable to buy a proper mount* designed for wheel building, but they're expensive)
    2 x Hub spanners* (very specific, good-quality thin spanners designed for properly dealing with axels)
    Wooden/Rubber mallet (for attaching the headset cups to the frame)
    Headset Ram** (for attaching the headset cup to the forks)
    Lots of grease.
    Lots of Wd-40 or similar.

That's all I can think of at this moment in time.

*These have a real name, which escapes me at the moment
    **This is a one-use tool, that will only come in handy when you are changing headset. You won't use it for maintenance or anything like that. It's also quite hard to come by. If you're friendly with you local shop, they may oblige, and add the cup to your forks for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thanks Seamus,
    I have added some of the stuff you mentioned to a list I had already started. I had completely forgotten that I will need some specialized tools.
    Some of them I already have so that's a start.

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

OK, here's my list so far. I already have the things marked with an asterisk, looks like I have a long way to go! Have I left any obvious parts out?

frame
    forks

group set
    crankset
    bottom bracket
    chain
    cassette
    front disc brake
    rear disc brake
    gear shifters
    front mech
    rear mech

* pedals
    * seat
    * seat post

wheels x 2 smile.gif
    tyres x 2
    tubes x 2
    rim tape

headset
    stem
    handlebars
    grips

Tools
    * Screwdrivers, both type of head.
    * Full set of metric allen keys (2mm-8mm)
    * Full set of metric spanners (6mm-19mm)
    Large Adjustable Spanner (1.5"-2" max opening)
    Small adjustable Spanner
    Crank Extractor
    Bottom Bracket Tool
    * Chain tool
    Cassette tool
    Chain Whip
    * Spoke key
    2 x Hub spanners
    Wooden/Rubber mallet
    Headset Ram
    Grease
    Wd-40