Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amtico flooring

Options
  • 18-10-2004 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

I'm a getting new flooring in, and somebody has recommended that I go for Amtico - "a bit more expensive than wood or carpet, but looks great and lasts for min 20 years".

I'll be going to have a look at a showroom next weekend, but has anyone any experience with it, seen it in other people's houses or got any comment whatsoever in relation to Amtico. I'd never even heard of it till a couple of days ago! So all comments would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

but has anyone any experience with it, seen it in other people's houses or got any comment whatsoever in relation to Amtico. I'd never even heard of it till a couple of days ago! .

As far as I know this is what Dunnes Stores use in some stores for the main walkways through the drapery sections.

It may look like wood - but it's just not the same thing. IMO it's far to artificial - looking more like lino than the real thing. But whatever floats your boat, have you looked at their website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Thanks for the link.

Interesting comment re artificial / lino. As you say, everyone's taste is different, so I wont be able to say whether I agree or not until I see it in the flesh.

My gut feeling at the mo (subject to price) is that I might use it for the hall and kitchen, where I was planning on using tiles, but stick with wood for my sitting/dining room.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭theaaao

Hello. An old old thread I know! But did you go for the Amtico in the end and if so has it lasted well over the years!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I have a product very similar to Amtico. Also a vinyl tile. I prefer it to carpet. It’s down about 4 years now and still looks good.

Only problem with it is that it can chip revealing the underneath which is white. I just have a couple of spots that I could touch up with paint if I was bothered to do it.

Be wary of using it where you will get direct sunlight as it will fade. One decent salesman showed me this in the showroom.

If you can use wood that is a better product

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Ging and I

I used Amtigo for a hall and it. Well worth it IMO and never had any problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭tenbob1

Been selling Amtico for 20+ years, never once have we had an issue with it fading in sunlight or chipping. Cheaper LVT's (similar products), that we sell however would be a different story, fading, chipping etc would be common enough.

As someone that works in the flooring industry, Amtico is what I use in my own house.

Advertisement