Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connectivity problem

Options
  • 18-10-2004 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Ive been having trouble linking my two pcs. I had it up and running fine, but when i got back from my holidays my dad had done some serious damage to his computer :rolleyes: cant leave him alone for a second!

He upgraded from zonealarm 4 to 5, and since then I cant get anything to work (file sharing, printer sharing, internet connection sharing) I fear I may have damaged the ethernet cable that connect the computers directly, but i cant be sure. I can still ping each machine from the other, so I cant understand why it still wont work.

The main trouble started when i unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the computer with the internet, and tried connecting directly to the cable modem. When I did that the connection logo at the bottom of my screen came up with a little warning sign saying 'limited or no connectivity' and it doesnt recieve any packets from the other computer. The connection on the other one says that it has sent and recieved plenty of packets.

I think the problem may have something to do with the allocation of IP addresses, because when i run ipconfig it reports the ip of the host computer as something different as to what it says it is in zonealarm. Being a relative newbie in the world of networking I havent a bean how to change IP addresses etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Im running win2000 as the host internet comp, with za 5, connected to a win XP sp2 laptop directly through an ethernet cable.

Thanks in Advance :D

Advertisement