Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave = Redwave

• 18-10-2004 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Trying to get a singnal from a 3rd Floor apartment (Winter Garden - Pearse St)...

1. Only got low quality RED ,,,in one room - not the one i want the modem in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Acerferrari3200

RIPWAVE (REDWAVE) …….any good connection reports around Pearse Street

Got a Ripwave unit on Friday - but the best I can get is a low quality constant RED signal …Strange this as I live on a top floor Apartment ( Winter Garden ) beside the Holiday Inn. ( Was told by IBB that there are other users on Pearse St.)
    Any users on this board.

The best I could get all weekend was 30mins of RED …with a PING time of 90ms at best. Taken from a IBB default Gateway , when I did a DHCP ipconfig.

Unit is getting various poor quality signals for BTS 246 , ( Guinness East ) – BTS 140 ( RTE ) and sometimes BTS 190 ( a new one ?)

Can only get a signal in one room , also the one i dont want the unit in. IBB tech support say the will have a look at my config today ,,( do not think they will be able to do much ,,can they give priority to modems from the base stations.)

How quickly do IBB refund money if I have no success and return the unit,

Does constant RED signal = Service.

I do think the service is a great IDEA , as it is my only option for BB as both NTL and Eircom cant help…….but the service signal needs more power , and Base Stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Get an ariel and get 1meg Irishbroadband serive it is grrrrrreeeeeeatttttt

ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 11ms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I have helped set up a friends ripwave and while its confusing to say the least, my understanding is that constant red is indeed service - that led will never be green.

As for the pings, 90 is fine, it depends on what ur average is i guess. The key thing is what download speed ur getting i would imagine. Ripwave is defo not a gamers technology - as I understand it mediocre pings are to be expected. But of course that doesn't impact at all with other broadband activities like downloading music etc where its the download speed that counts. And for general browsing even pings around the 100 mark should still let you feel the speed of BB on any kind of a heavy page.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

i have ripwave about 2 weeks and i have the green led. But i
    had problems initially. to get the best reception you must be able
    to see the mast.I now have a 15 meter network cable connecting
    my modem in the room with the best reception.

when you have problems IBB will put your modem into "roam"
    mode and thus it will try and connect to the mast with the
    strongest signal.

also you say you have a constant red signal. I downloaded for
    36 hours with a constant red (sometimes orange) and the best
    download speed i could get was 15 or 20 k.

now that i have green it has flew up to 50k a sec.

I'll try and upload a pic of the green light and a pic of the
    mast in the background later sometime if i get a chance. ;)

ok i got the pics, its realy hard to see the mast in the picture
    but when your standing up it can be easily seen.

I think i covered alot of that in my post in the Rip Ripwave thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its quite unfortunate that so many people are having trouble with IBBs products. With eircom presiding ultimately over all DSL, and NTL being afraid to do any more than dip its toe, IBB is sorely needed,

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its quite unfortunate that so many people are having trouble with IBBs products. With eircom presiding ultimately over all DSL, and NTL being afraid to do any more than dip its toe, IBB is sorely needed,

I dont think it is that many overall......
    How many customers would you say IBB have?
    3 or 4 thousand give or take.

how many people have complained about IBB on this forum?
    about 50?
    I think its all about location, its not IBB's fault if some people
    live in a hole (not refering to living conditions, just height) :D

am i completely wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I orederd IBB about 2 weeks ago and im still waiting for it, but im starting to fget a bit worried when i hear people only getting 15-20k. I'm living in lucan at the min, any one got IBB in lucan i would like to know what kind of a signal you are getting?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

As posted earlier, I tried the Ripwave on Ranelagh Road with no success. When positioned about 1.5 metres from a west facing window the signal indicator flashed for 12 hours. I moved it to the window sill and managed to get a lock but only a "solid red". The diagnostic software indicated a medium strngth signal but of very poor quality.

The - very polite - IBB tech staff said that they did have success in connecting people in Ranelagh but did admit it was a problem area. In fairness, he did know when to call it a day and arranged the pick up of the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Acerferrari3200

4 Hours online last night ! ;-)

Have moved the unit away from the windows in my appartment ( Microwave signal will not pass double glazing ..ref a post on this board).. unit now up high and a connection a little bit better than dial up,

yellow 4 bars signal quality - red 3 bars signal strength. -- Constant

The unit is now on top of Kitchen units touching the roof ., has anyone on the board ,,removed the Antenna from the modem and ran a cable between the two ..? see doc below from Navini site.[URL]
    http://navini.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/navini.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I have had ripwave for almost 2 months now. The only problem I have is when I turn it off and on again. Takes ages to get a reconnection. If I leave it on all the time its stays orange. However I don't like leaving it on when I'm not home. (just a personal pref). But if you do decide to leave it on it should be fine, I got a green light the other day. And I must say that I've noticed no discernable difference in download speeds whether the light is red amber or green. As long as the connection is stable, its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shiny wrote:
    3 or 4 thousand give or take. how many people have complained about IBB on this forum? about 50?

Hmm.. How many of these three or 4 thousand customers haven't complained about IBB on this forum because they do not know this forum exists?

What I'd be interested in is the ratio of satisfied customers Vs unsatisfied customers who use this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

What I'd be interested in is the ratio of satisfied customers Vs unsatisfied customers who use this forum.

Start a new thread/poll

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mine is still awaiting testing. I dialled 1890564456 today, hit 2 for support, 2 for home enquiries and i then i got some dude from sales who seemed to be logged in as a support person. then he kept transferring me to himself. ****!

Hmm.. How many of these three or 4 thousand customers haven't complained about IBB on this forum because they do not know this forum exists?

I know. I know. That number was a total guess but would IBB tell
    anyone over the phone how many customers they have?

or how many successful connections they have? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ok There is a huge difference between Ripwave and IBB's other products.

The majority of the complaints here are about Ripwave which is 100% geographically dependent.

Breeze is a great service for most people:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

jessy wrote:
    I orederd IBB about 2 weeks ago and im still waiting for it, but im starting to fget a bit worried when i hear people only getting 15-20k. I'm living in lucan at the min, any one got IBB in lucan i would like to know what kind of a signal you are getting?
    thanks
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190428

Advertisement