Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug Test

Options
  • 18-10-2004 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

A relative of mine is having serious problems with their son.

I and others suspect that he is using drugs(or he is in need of therapy). The parents are crying out for help.

I've heard that there is drug test that you can do from a hair sample.

Anybody know anything about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

There are drug tests you can buy online from here but most seem to be saliva or urine, which would be a lot more accurate than hair sampling tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Blinda

Drug testing requires the consent and cooperation of the individual otherwise it's assault and a criminal offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Blinda wrote:
    Drug testing requires the consent and cooperation of the individual otherwise it's assault and a criminal offense.

even if the parents do it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Whether it is legal or not wouldn't stop me from testing mine if I suspected they were using. The better of two evils and in the childs best interest and all that.

This issue is a concern and question raised by many parents, but I'm afraid to say that having a drug test completed on behalf of someone other than the person presenting at the clinic/test centre is not as easy as one imagines.
    To provide a sample on behalf of another individual whether it be body parts (skin cells/hair) or fluids (blood/urine) how does one set about collection???.
    If the owner is restrained it is assault (GBH). If the owner gives consent and you arrive at the test centre what is the next logical step?
    One has to get past the 'testers', usually staff who follow guidelines with accountability to their respective Professional Bodies. Ignoring guidelines or improper practice could result in being 'struck off'. Therefore the answer is, that the presenting person themselves would be asked to provide the sample following a lengthy assessment.

• Advertisement

With the availability of home test kits the problem of testers guidelines does not enter into it . You buy the home test kit , you ask your child to do the necessary and wait for the result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"using drugs" is such a lovely and broad term.

do you really think it's the drugs that are causing him to be a bother? if not.. what will proving he is "using drugs" do? even if he is using drugs perhaps he is in need of therapy. Drugs are not something you can just blame misbehaviour on, if the kid has a problem try and solve it. Don't look to "drugs" to be your scapegoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah drug tests, what better way to ruin your relationship with your child. As far as I'm concerned it's a gross violation, if my parents tried to make me take one, I'd never talk to them again.

Relationships ruined with unrealiable home kits!!!!!!!.

Blinda wrote:
    Relationships ruined with unrealiable home kits!!!!!!!.

Have you any proof that home tests are unreliable?

• Advertisement

As i've mentioned home kits are not consistant with the guidlines of professional medical organisations.
    Studies show it is not easy for parents to know if a young person (YP) is, or is not using drugs: Which test to choose: How to select an appropriate sample: Understand the limits of the result.
    Parents using these kits may be reassured by a false negative or mistakenly accuse a YP of using drugs because of a false positive.
    Parents may not identify exactly which drug a YP is using. And using the wrong test may delay a correct diagnosis of a serious abuse disorder.
    There are several types of tests for alcohol, amphetamines and others common among adolescents.
    Considering that lab testing for drugs is a challenging procedure even for medical professionals, tests proformed at home by untrained parents might have higher rates of error than professional tests.
    There is evidence that even in certified labs there can be between 6-40% false negatives depending on the drug detected.
    Also take urine testing for example where the standard protocal requires 'observation' to avoid adulteration or dilution with water, and YP are quite adept at beating tests. In addition products can be bought that 'clean' urine by interfering with standard tests.
    And as I've already mentioned enforcement is a violation of human rights.

Blinda wrote:
    tests proformed at home by untrained parents might have higher rates of error than professional tests.

That's far from Proof that home tests are inaccurate. If anything it appears to suggest that they could be just as accurate as Lab tests.

As for ruining relationships .Chances are the current situation as described is putting serious strain on the relationship anyway. Nobody said parenting is easy and while I agree it is always best to come to a mutual agrreement with a child when making decisions regarding their well being sometime thats not possible and in that instance the parent, considering all the options has to do what they think is in the childs best interest whether the child likes it or not.

Where drugs are involved they can really mess up a childs whole life and the surrounding family and the earlier the problem is identified and tackled the better for all involved.

The people involved in the first post are being good responsible parents and I wish them all the best in with what is a very delicate but all too common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Mordeth wrote:
    even if he is using drugs perhaps he is in need of therapy. Drugs are not something you can just blame misbehaviour on, if the kid has a problem try and solve it. Don't look to "drugs" to be your scapegoat.

Definitely!! Agreed

But drugs could be an interfering factor. I don't know what's happening with the kid these days. Might find out today(anoter interfering factor)

As for Blinda, FFS what are you on about??? Either you don't have kids or you work in social services?

What is your background?
    Do you do Drugs?

What does FFS mean?

For F*cks Sake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

from personal experience drug tests aren't relyable, i was with this guy who did some drugs nothing too crazy but his mum used to get a pee sample and get him tested, each test came up clear he never used his own pee.
    blood tests are the best ... how old is this child/teen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

its what drove the child to using in the first place that would bother me.

Probably the parents. Why don't they just ask him? Whats the story with doing a test. Thats the sort of sh*t a child does not want to come home to.

*edit* hang on a sec... when we say child.. what age are we talking?

KlodaX wrote:
    its what drove the child to using in the first place that would bother me.

Probably the parents. Why don't they just ask him? Whats the story with doing a test. Thats the sort of sh*t a child does not want to come home to.

*edit* hang on a sec... when we say child.. what age are we talking?

He's in fifth or sixth class. not sure.

Being in a large family and not gettin enough attention or authority when he was younger is probably the root of the problems. I also am not sure if is all there. I think he is lacking something.

I don't know if they'll do the test. Asking him isn't really an option cos they're afraid of him. He knows what buttons to push too..

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=194559

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

narommy wrote:

The kid is young if the parents feel he is having problems bring him to a child councillor or similar.
    It did me know harm as a child ,i was a little bit aggressive as a young teen myself and never touched a drug,kids need to be talked too...

narommy wrote:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=194559

Secondary school I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

You posted this before, did the last links not work?

The kid is young if the parents feel he is having problems bring him to a child councillor or similar.
    It did me know harm as a child ,i was a little bit aggressive as a young teen myself and never touched a drug,kids need to be talked too...

I would agree with you 100% I think they are bringing him to someone.

We've heard that he is on drugs (from a pot calling the kettle black)

Blub2k4 wrote:
    You posted this before, did the last links not work?

I posted twice a few weeks ago. Parenting and after hours.

Somebody resurected this thread at the weekend.

I passed on those links. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

when you say "drugs" what exactly do you mean?

*edit* I know that sounds like a daft question but are we talking heroine or weed or everything inbetween?

narommy wrote:
    I would agree with you 100% I think they are bringing him to someone.

We've heard that he is on drugs (from a pot calling the kettle black)

Sorry for asking again but is this child in Seecondary or primary education?

secondary

Fifth or sixth In secondary the "Child " could be near enough 18. Thats a whole lot tougher than dealing with a 12 or 13 year old. If the situation you describe in the post you linked is accurate I honestly think the person involved needs professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Blinda wrote:

I disagree - it's obviously in the child's best interest. It couldn't possibly be an assault!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Swineherd

Hi,

Try this link. They're Irish, based Sandyford, Dublin.
    They operate an excellent online only shop but are very good at next day delivery.
    Being Oirish, the prices are normally 200% to 300% mark-up on UK and USA prices, but are still within reach.

http://www.inhealth.ie/Departments/Home-Health/Drug-Tests/Home-Drug-Tests.aspx?gclid=CJ2jt9vZ7LECFQRO4QodeU4AUg

Or better yet just try your local McCabes Pharmacy.

http://mccabespharmacy.com/shop/drug-testing-home-kit-prima.html

That answers your original post quite well I think.

Results of these type of quick-check tests can be dodgy.
    If you get a positive, it should be confirmed before taking any action.

Personally, I don't think 'piss testing' is the way to go. Most likely it will have a negative effect.
    For very good reasons, teenagers react badly to controls put in place by their parents.
    Good parenting is best. Ask, Listen, Reflect, then Act. Listening is the hard part as we all know.
    No room here really for the knee-jerk 'drugs are bad' approach. Drugs are there and will always be there.
    There will always be underlying reasons for chronic drug use. Tackle those.
    Good parenting and communication will normally keep a young adult near enough to the right path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Could be in a wooden box at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement