Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup Group Stage [Match 1]

• 18-10-2004 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Aachen Vs Lille
    Egaleo Vs Middlesbrough
    Dnipro Vs Club Brugge
    Zenit Vs AEK
    Dinamo Tbilisi Vs Sochaux
    Feyenoord Vs Hearts
    Steaua Vs Standard
    Schalke Vs Basel
    Amica Vs Rangers
    Beveren Vs Stuttgart
    Auxerre Vs GAK
    Zaragoza Vs Utrecht
    Athletic Vs Parma
    Lazio Vs Villarreal
    Benfica Vs Heerenveen
    Panionios Vs Newcastle

Here is where the much derided group stage kicks off. Boro and Newcastle both play in Athens on the same night. Arsenal also visit on wednesday night. Just hoping there will be no trouble.

Anyway, i forsee comfortable away wins for Boro and Newcastle, Hearts to lose and Rangers to get an unlucky draw. Boro are in fine form after the demolition of Blackburn at the weekend - Jimmy looks like he is lovin it up north - joint 2nd top scorer in the premiership with 6 goals from 8 games (7 in 9 in all competitions). Bet Chelsea regret letting him move on a free now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Well to the undiluted (im sure) joy of everyone here on the soccer boards, middlesbrough won their first game in the Uefa cup group stage, beating Egaleo 1-0 away from home.

Stewart Downing scored the winner. Viduka started the game but looked unfit after his couple of weeks out injured, while JFH came in late on. Downing is the lad that everyone in england is talking about, looking like he could be the left winger they have prayed for for years. He isnt as tricky a winger as Duff is but he isnt that far behind. IMO he is a much better passer of the ball (not crosser) and has a more clinical eye for goal.

Well im happy so screw the lot of ye :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Aye, Downing is completely underrated. What are Boro's fixtures for the group stage?

I have a tenner accumulator on Feyenoord to beat Hearts (currently 1-0), Schalke to be Basel (currently 1-0), Stuttgart to beat Beveren and Bilbao to beat Parma.

Feyenoord - Hearts is on BBC Scotland, good few Hearts fans at it, the team are backs to the wall though. Its currently 1-0 and h/t but Feyenoord's goal was about 2 feet offside, I'm happy though (see above).

Rangers are winning 1-0, Lovenkrands with the goal.

[edit] stuttgart just gone 1 up. :)

Middlesbroughs remaining fixtures :

home against Lazio
    away against Villereal (you should know them Eirebhoy!)
    home against Partizan Belgrade

I reckon a win and two draws or better is enough to get through to the next round as the top 3 teams (out of each group of 5) all go through.

Boro wrote:
    Middlesbroughs remaining fixtures :

home against Lazio
    away against Villereal (you should know them Eirebhoy!)
    home against Partizan Belgrade

I reckon a win and two draws or better is enough to get through to the next round as the top 3 teams (out of each group of 5) all go through.
    Decent enough draw (in term of home/away's). 2 home wins is acheivable, Villereal away is a tough one.

All my teams are winning 1-0, nerve racking or what.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I have a tenner accumulator on Feyenoord to beat Hearts (currently 1-0), Schalke to be Basel (currently 1-0), Stuttgart to beat Beveren and Bilbao to beat Parma.
    Feyenoord won 3-0, Stuttgart won 4-1, Bilbao are winning 2-0 and Schalke drew 1-1. :( Sheffield United let me down on Tuesday in an 8/1 accum. Unfortunate week for me.

Villarreal are winning 1-0 with 10mins to go. Rangers won 5-0. Newcastle won 1-0 (Shearer pen).

• Advertisement

Unlucky Eirebhoy - i feel for you! Ive been in a similar position where only millwall losing let me down on a 25-2 accumulator before. And i had a decent few quid on it. Needless to say i was drinking mi-wadi that night :D

Middlesbrough sit top of their group after Lazio and Villeral could only draw in rome.
    Really excited about this now.

Winners of the group take on another team who finished 3rd in a group, 2nd placed teams take on a team who finished 3rd in their champions league group.

BTW Downing has scored 2 goals in 6 league appearances (4 as a substitute) and 1 goal in 2 uefa cup appearances (1 as a sub). Pretty impressive record for a left winger especially as the three goals were
    1: the equaliser in a 2-2 draw against newcastle
    2: the equaliser in a 1-1 draw against manu
    3: the winner against egaleo in a must win uefa cup match

damn impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Having watched highlights from the Lazio V Villereal Middlesbrough have a great chance of going through the group unbeaten and possibly topping it .

Villereal is the only team I could see coming ahead of them , Lazio are just crap .

Dont know how the rest of you feel when your team is in europe, but this is the first time my team have ever been in europe and i am over the moon. When we won our first EVER trophy last season, i was absolutely over the moon.

Some fans of the higher ranked clubs take being in the CL for granted and look at the uefa cup with derision, i am delighted that we are in it. Its really an amazing feeling. I was on a high for at least 3 weeks after the league cup win, and every time we play in europe im absolutely buzzing. Its comparable i suppose to the way liverpool fans felt when they did the treble after years of unachievement.

signed - a european virgin :D and lovin it!

Boro wrote:
    Winners of the group take on another team who finished 3rd in a group, 2nd placed teams take on a team who finished 3rd in their champions league group.
    Jaysus, if you come 3rd you're probably more likely to get a better draw than those who finish second.

• Advertisement
Advertisement