Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug Test

• 18-10-2004 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

Does anybody have info on "at home drug testing" in ireland. I think it involves hair.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

umm..

bold :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Mordeth wrote:
    umm..

bold :(

Why?

I want to use it, not fiddle it?
    Relations are having serious problems with kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

/me sends urgent message to kid to gillette all his bodyhair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

take him to the police station and ask them to test it? that oughta scare him straight..

really, no. I have no idea about drug kits online.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For what it's worth, you're looking for these guys: Hunter Diagnostics. Kits seem to cost around 20 quid or so. They're an Irish company as well. Sounds like a fun family game to play...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I don't know if you can buy the one that uses hair to test for drugs.
    Not that i've seen anyway.
    For test using urine (or saliva) http://www.drugtest.freeserve.co.uk/
    is one I googled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Not sure this is the best answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

That would be military school.

ixoy wrote:
    Sounds like a fun family game to play...

It's my cousin. It's so bad now that my parents have me demented everytime i call over.

I feel sorry for his parents. They're good people but they can't control his behaviour.. He's knocked out his brother's teeth amongst other things. They've tried to get him to go to boarding school. and to leave school and get a job.He's also f**king up his bros and siss too

He needs a psych evaluation too.

Bringing him down to the cop shop would be good but they never would. yet!!

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

We can test for:
    Cannabis (Grass,Hash,THC)
    Cocaine (Charlie)
    Amphetamines (Speed, Whizz)
    Methamphetamine (Ecstasy,E)
    Opiates (Heroin, Smack)
    Phencyclidine (PCP, Angel Dust)
    Benzodiazepines(Valium)
    Methadone
    Barbiturates
    It must be good they have all the lingo down :rolleyes:

Hope it gets sorted out narommy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Those drug tests are not the most reliable, did you know a poppy seed bread-roll will show you up as an opiate (heroin) user.

This is a rather lazy american parenting technique to be honest, they should try to connect with their kid and not alienate him with Gestapo-like testing.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    This is a rather lazy american parenting technique to be honest, they should try to connect with their kid and not alienate him with Gestapo-like testing.

Probably right. I think they have tried to connect but he is thick. Drug test would be just to be informed. To have idea of which approach to take.

I personally wouldn't be so sure drugs are the root of the problem. He is the oldest son in a taditional family and never had any authority laid down properly. Neither did his parents have much time to spend with him. They had a large family in quick succession and he was the oldest so he had less attention.

narommy wrote:
    Probably right. I think they have tried to connect but he is thick. Drug test would be just to be informed. To have idea of which approach to take.

I personally wouldn't be so sure drugs are the root of the problem. He is the oldest son in a taditional family and never had any authority laid down properly. Neither did his parents have much time to spend with him. They had a large family in quick succession and he was the oldest so he had less attention.

It seems like they have already decided on an approach and it is authoritarian. Maybe he is not responding to this, what age is he? Chances are he is having a spliff if over 15 like a lot of young people, what will this tell them except that he is normal in this day and age (dont shoot the messenger). It could start a whole world of problems and if they label a problem child as a drug-user this early maybe he will feel that he really needs to justify this label and go the whole hog......just an opinion but I have a bit of experience with this kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looks like his parents are going down the a-typical “panicking parent” route.

We can’t connect with or control our teenage child for what ever reason, could be bad parenting, could be a chemical imbalance, could be a full moon!!! But instead of looking for what the real reason is we’ll blame it on that good old scapegoat Drugs!!!
    Drugs are quite often not the cause of the problem but merely a symptom. And if his parents get it wrong by accusing him of taken drugs when he hasn’t well then it’s inevitable that all they’ll be doing is creating a bigger divide between themselves and their son.

As you’ve said already his unruly behaviour is more likely to be down to the fact that his folks weren’t there for him when he was growing up and that they are reaping what they sowed so to speak. But that’s too difficult to accept so we’ll blame those damn Drugs!!!
    Or even better, we’ll send him to boarding school, then at least it won’t be our problem any more!!

However, I’m sure you’re sick to your back teeth with the whole situation, having to listen to everyone giving out about him and him giving out about everyone.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

From what I know the residue of any drug you've ever taken stays in your hair for a very long time so yes a hair based drug test would be a very accurate way of telling what you've done.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    It seems like they have already decided on an approach and it is authoritarian. Maybe he is not responding to this, what age is he? Chances are he is having a spliff if over 15 like a lot of young people, what will this tell them except that he is normal in this day and age (dont shoot the messenger). It could start a whole world of problems and if they label a problem child as a drug-user this early maybe he will feel that he really needs to justify this label and go the whole hog......just an opinion but I have a bit of experience with this kind of thing.

I don't think they have decided on any approach cos they haven't a clue what to do with him. This has been going on for quite a while.

I think that it may be the lack of authority and boundaries that is his prob.

If his problems are drug related I think is is a little more than a spliff. I know that drugs couldn't be his main problem cos i've seen these problems in him since he was a young kid. It's just now that they've realised how serious it is. They are really worried for him and for the example he is giving to his sibings.

He does need therapy but it would be nice to know if drugs were playing a part.

What sort of experience have you?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Looks like his parents are going down the a-typical “panicking parent” route.

Couldn't describe his parents as panicing. It's really bad for them.
    He has beat up some of his sibilings. Threatened his parents. Mitches school to go drinking with friends. Sells contraband in school. Other kids parents have called around to their house because they are blaming him for affectin gtheir Kids. Expect the gardai around soon. He seems to have no sense of right vs wrong

I agree with drugs not being the cause. But no matter what they say they can't get through to him.

I don't know if bad parentin is to blame cos the rest of them are reasonable normal. His parents do care for them all. His parents were always "there" for him!! but maybe didn't give him much time cos of family size. and never really understood him.

The boarding school idea was to try and get him away from certain of his friends. And because they were worried that he wouldn't get a fair chance in school after one of his antics. And also to get him away from his siblings cos.

It could be an imbalance of some sort. I've never met anybody as thick or ignorant as him.

Yes I am sick of it. But i am more worried about one of my bro's who hangs around with him.

Lots of drugs experience and also the labelling very young which became a self-fulfilling prophecy eventually.
    You seem to have a better handle on him than his parents, why not mention to them the fact that you have seen this type of behaviour in him for a long time and they are only seeing it now and are perhaps knee-jerking a little.
    I do think that an obvious drug test might alienate him but there is a better method where they dont confront him but still have an idea if drugs are being used.
    Check here http://www.tests-shop.com/product264/product_info.html

This is a spray that they can spray on the surfaces in his bedroom, in drawers etc and on worktops to know if there is drug residue on them.
    "Wiping any surface once with the Special Test paper #630 and spraying with Detect 4 Drugs will reveal traces of Hashish or Marijuana, as reddish brown stains; Heroin, as purple gray stains; Amphetamine, as canary-yellow stains; and Meth-amphetamines, as orange stains."

I still haven't found out about the hair test.

The reason they want it is so that they don't have to confront him to get a sample. As noted above that could add to the problem.

Don't konw what they would do if they found out that he was using somethink serious. He'd probably loose it with them for testing it behind his back. Maybe they could use the saliva tests then??

<Comment removed after having seen the evidence that it was incorrect ;)>

I do think that the spray is the way to go as it is not very obtrusive and can be done easier and less expensive than the hair test or the standard FDA drug test which is like a pregnancy test. If they want to do it behind his back to put their worries to bed this is the way forward, normally I am completely against the idea but if his welfare is at stake which I dont doubt in this case as his relationship to the family is obviously suffering ( I dont subscribe to the view that all drugs are bad all the time mmmkay)

• Advertisement

Wow I just looked at the price of that test, $439, at least it is not the most expensive but not exactly cheap. Will look for a better alternative give us a bit.

Just found some less expensive tests and it appears there is now also a hair test available, at 800 dollars ( for 20 units, it is a lot cheaper than I remember), there are a lot of alternatives there, have a look.

http://www.meditests.com/drugsofabuse1.html

If he turns up positive on anything more serious than Speed or E then I suggest they dont go at him bald headed and research the substances and their facts.
    I didn't catch what age he is still?

Thanks a mil.

It sounds like big money, wow. I'll follow those links.

His parents have known for a long time my view of his behaviour. (I'm 25) But as I've said there's no reasoning with him.

My mum is going to try and arrange an evaluation for him but getting him to go would be another thing.

I feel sorry for him because at the back of it all he is a nice, soft, ejit who is good natured. He's in 5th or 6th class.

I don't like drugs but i would agree with you, not all bad. Another older cuz liked occasional spliffs and had no effect on him or his behaviour but he did end up taking the scenic route through college

Advertisement