Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eq II

Options
  • 18-10-2004 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Seeing as how SOE has turned off the NDA on EQ II here some info on it as Iv been in the beta test the last few weeks.

To start off I must say I was very surprised at how much I have enjoyed playing EQ2 so far seeing as I have been in a **** SOE mode due to the cluster **** they made out of SWG. While i haven't played any WOW yet the cartoon style gfx and the ****e Blizzard are pulling with what server you can and can not play on have ruled out WOW for me.

EQ2 looks fantastic but you will need a good PC to get the most out of it as the gfx engine was designed to still look good in a few years time so don't expect to be running the game with all settings maxed out as it ain't gonna happen. The sound and speech for most NPCs really adds a coolness to the game and draws you in to the world very well, not to mention they have Christoper Lee lending his voice and the villain of the game :D Music in EQ was awful for most parts but SOE have really done a amazing job on the music for EQ 2 and its more of a film score than a video games.

There are 1000's of quests in all ready with the promise of 1000's more to come in the final release of the game. While the quests are of the usual go here, kill this or talk to a certain NPC, due to the fact 99% of all npc talk and time and effort being put into the quests they really are fun.

The combat system really keeps the fights fresh and interesting due to special moves you can pull off that bump up the power level of your attacks. These attacks are called HO's or Heroic Opportunities.

Zones are back in EQ 2 and while allot of people like the huge seamless worlds of SWG and Horizons I always found them dull and lackluster. EQ 2 zone layouts are designed by human and are very well done and it adds so much character and feeling to the game compared to the computer generated dull and boring landscapes of Horizons and SWG. Saying this some of the zones are massive and I mean massive and easily the size of a SWG planet.

The lack of PVP does not bother me at all due to the simple fact that PVP has yet to be done right in any MMORPG not to mention cutting out the grief factor that plagues most online games of this type that does have PVP. Kill stealing is gone due to locked encounters. This happens when you attack a mob and any other player will see a little padlock icon over you and the mobs head and cant attack the mob unless you yell for help.

If you enjoyed EQ and want a game that will keep you coming back again and again, EQ2 should fill your needs but feel free to ask any questions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Venom wrote:
    Seeing as how SOE has turned off the NDA on EQ II here some info on it as Iv been in the beta test the last few weeks.

To start off I must say I was very surprised at how much I have enjoyed playing EQ2 so far seeing as I have been in a **** SOE mode due to the cluster **** they made out of SWG. While i haven't played any WOW yet the cartoon style gfx and the ****e Blizzard are pulling with what server you can and can not play on have ruled out WOW for me.

EQ2 looks fantastic but you will need a good PC to get the most out of it as the gfx engine was designed to still look good in a few years time so don't expect to be running the game with all settings maxed out as it ain't gonna happen. The sound and speech for most NPCs really adds a coolness to the game and draws you in to the world very well, not to mention they have Christoper Lee lending his voice and the villain of the game :D Music in EQ was awful for most parts but SOE have really done a amazing job on the music for EQ 2 and its more of a film score than a video games.

There are 1000's of quests in all ready with the promise of 1000's more to come in the final release of the game. While the quests are of the usual go here, kill this or talk to a certain NPC, due to the fact 99% of all npc talk and time and effort being put into the quests they really are fun.

The combat system really keeps the fights fresh and interesting due to special moves you can pull off that bump up the power level of your attacks. These attacks are called HO's or Heroic Opportunities.

Zones are back in EQ 2 and while allot of people like the huge seamless worlds of SWG and Horizons I always found them dull and lackluster. EQ 2 zone layouts are designed by human and are very well done and it adds so much character and feeling to the game compared to the computer generated dull and boring landscapes of Horizons and SWG. Saying this some of the zones are massive and I mean massive and easily the size of a SWG planet.

The lack of PVP does not bother me at all due to the simple fact that PVP has yet to be done right in any MMORPG not to mention cutting out the grief factor that plagues most online games of this type that does have PVP. Kill stealing is gone due to locked encounters. This happens when you attack a mob and any other player will see a little padlock icon over you and the mobs head and cant attack the mob unless you yell for help.

If you enjoyed EQ and want a game that will keep you coming back again and again, EQ2 should fill your needs but feel free to ask any questions :)

Its not in open beta is it ? when is the general release ? How much per month ? cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tusky wrote:
    Its not in open beta is it ? when is the general release ? How much per month ? cheers.

No its still a closed beta at the moment but Soe are sending out more beta invites every week. Do bear in mind tho that you need to download 2gb of data and this is about 19-20 hours on ADSL.

No offical word on a release date. If you preorder now you get a special account that comes with a pair of Jboots (makes you run faster) like the shades with the SWG special edition.

Again no word on the monthly cost but I expect it to be the same as SWG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have to say I do find EQ2 pretty immersive. Wandering through Freeport (one of the two main cities) you really get a feeling that the place is alive, with background chatter going on. I'm playing it on my laptop at the moment (mobility 9700 64 MB, 1.7 Ghz centrino, 1GB RAM), while not on the highest settings it still looks gorgeous and no stutter. There are so many graphical tweaks available that you can cater for your system easily.

The only thing I'll say at this stage is that the difference between characters of the same class are pretty small at low levels (don't know about higher) i.e. fighter, mage, priest, scout. It's part of the plan to not have an uber sub-class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I must say EQ2 is quite impressive, Im finding the combat to be much faster then EQ1, to be honest it takes some time to get used to, but im impressed so far, they have still work to do but its quite solid atm, and the 8th november release date shoudl not be a problem.

quests are excellent, its a bit dumbed down in some parts but i have a feeling they will change that

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I can get a beta key but since I dont have broadband I need to know can anyone put the game on a DVD and post it to me? :)

Or is that possible?...

If not how big is the file/game

Nemesis/DemonBaby/Avoca...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Nemesis wrote:
    I can get a beta key but since I dont have broadband I need to know can anyone put the game on a DVD and post it to me? :)

Or is that possible?...

If not how big is the file/game

Nemesis/DemonBaby/Avoca...
    How/where did you acquire a beta key?
    For such information* I might be inclined to dl it for both of us and send you a copy on dvd.

*Depends on if I get into beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Brian if you pm me a link to the file I'll download it and burn it to dvd. Then you can either get it next time your in dublin or i'll post you it.

You sure you want to try EQ2 though? Digital crack cocaine remember :)

Greg

Thanks Greg.

Thing is..I dont have the beta key yet.
    Have some guys in Germany looking into it.

I reckon you will need the beta key frst before you Download it.
    It's 3 gig btw..so How long will that take you?.
    You still with that wireless crowd?.

You going to try it out?.

And it was your fault I got addicted to that EQ1 originally!.:)

Brian.

Nemesis wrote:
    Thanks Greg.
    You still with that wireless crowd?.

Brian.

You use the key to create a profile/register on the SOE site. You then download a small install.exe file which gives you the basic login style screen SOE users will recognize. Like downloading a patch in EQ,SWG and PS, you will download the 2 gig game.

So you cant actually download a seperate file? You need to get launchpad to dl it for you. Yikes :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Nemesis wrote:
    Thanks Greg.
    Under 2 days if it's a decent connection. I've an uncapped 512/512 connection, still with Leap. Love the service, pity about the cost ;)
    You going to try it out?.

And it was your fault I got addicted to that EQ1 originally!.:)
    Hmm I dunno. I might, but it might be a better idea for me not to :) Playing The Saga of Ryzom at the moment. Heh and yeah I still feel guilty for introducing you to everquest in the first place :)

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

"The lack of PVP does not bother me at all "

Can u expand on this for me please, what is pvp like, or the plans for it.

tnx, nice read.

paddyman wrote:
    "The lack of PVP does not bother me at all "

Can u expand on this for me please, what is pvp like, or the plans for it.

tnx, nice read.

There is no PvP in EQ2 at all. No duels, no arena areas like in EQ1 and no guild wars. And from what Iv read on the beta forums the Devs seem to have no intention of adding any sort of PvP to the game. If you want to PvP rather than PvE then EQ2 is not the game for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

lol

cheers mate, ill be scratching eq off the list so :), im completely a pvp person. pve is just something u have to do to be improve your char to pvp well.

hmmmmmm, ill be looking into wow some more then.

It took me 23 hours to download on 512 connection, I averaged about 40k a sec download.

Yfi, I saw EQ2 box in Game Henry street so its not long to wait now.

Awesome game

If you want PvP play WoW, eq2 has none

Gizzard wrote:
    It took me 23 hours to download on 512 connection, I averaged about 40k a sec download.

Yfi, I saw EQ2 box in Game Henry street so its not long to wait now.

Awesome game

8th of Dec for the yanks and I believe 9th or 11th over here. Cant see myself not picking it up at this point unless the last few patches totaly fook over the current gameplay.

Venom wrote:
    8th of Dec for the yanks and I believe 9th or 11th over here. Cant see myself not picking it up at this point unless the last few patches totaly fook over the current gameplay.

with your spec PC I see from your SIG, EQ2 will look totally and I mean TOTALLY Awesome

Gizzard wrote:
    with your spec PC I see from your SIG, EQ2 will look totally and I mean TOTALLY Awesome

I cant run it at full wack but settings are close. Turned off shadows and toned down detail on players out of viewing distance. Game looks sooooooo good but custom designed landscapes will always win out over computer generated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Hi all

Just wondering if there will be any euro servers for EQ2 up and running when it is first release or will we have to play on US servers for a while.

Thxs
    Joe90

• Advertisement

Venom wrote:

The Official release date from sony is the 8th of November.

I rang Gameplay.co.uk (very good customer service btw) last week and was told the game would probably be posted on Nov 5th so I'd get it on day of 'release' Nov 8th.

The 8th Nov is acyually the Day EQ2 gets shipped (which I think means goes from Manufacturer/main Distributor to the Retailers).

So I rang Gameplay.co.uk today and was told they will receive their shipment of EQ2 on Tuesday evening and will post them out at 5pm Wedneday..So I might have my copy on Friday 12th Nov or maybe Monday 15th Nov.

Two days ago I called into GAME-Tallaght branch and noticed EQ2 was to be available on the 19th Nov on one of their signs.
    So I enquired to see when would EQ2be in (Thinking to myself 'maybe it will be in onTuesday 9th Nov)

So they guy looks it up and says it has been delayed to Jan 2005 and he got that notice only last week.

The box in Henry-GAME...was it the Pre-order box I wonder?.
    I didnt see any Pre-order box's in GAME-Tallaght.

And to a question about Euro Servers..
    Yes there will be a Euro server...3 actually. (English,German and Fench one)
    and will be going live on same date as US ones.(8th of Nov I presume).
    They...the Euro servers will be based in Amsterdam so pings should be fine and dandy.

Nemesis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

What way is the combat system in it? it has always ben the c*ck up of MMORPG's for me, the combat system used in the lieks of DaoC and SWG are the biggest flaw in both games, does this game use similar (keep in mind, I have never played EQ1). Im reading the webby currently for it, and Im liking the look of the race's, but what way does the XP system work? is it get xxx XP and ding, you spec whatever you want, or do you get XP in each specific tree? (ala SWG).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

I would consider the combat system to be fairly similar to DAoC. You have your special abilities that use power. They have this thing called Heroic Opportunities, where a specific series of special abilities gives you a bonus magic attack.

What I observed is that there are XP bubbles (about 10/level). Now I don't know if this was due to patching but say 1/2 way to the next level your basic abilites go up a point e.g. you get better at martial arts, swimming etc. Doesn't affect combat outcome noticeably (too little change). Eventually you ding and you get handed a new special ability, there are no trees like in SWG, no choice in what ability you spec when you ding. The class choices you make are at 10, 20th etc. Essentially very little customisation (compared to Horizons).

They introduced traits near the end that would boost basic stats at landmark levels.

Sarn wrote:
    I would consider the combat system to be fairly similar to DAoC. You have your special abilities that use power. They have this thing called Heroic Opportunities, where a specific series of special abilities gives you a bonus magic attack.

What I observed is that there are XP bubbles (about 10/level). Now I don't know if this was due to patching but say 1/2 way to the next level your basic abilites go up a point e.g. you get better at martial arts, swimming etc. Doesn't affect combat outcome noticeably (too little change). Eventually you ding and you get handed a new special ability, there are no trees like in SWG, no choice in what ability you spec when you ding. The class choices you make are at 10, 20th etc. Essentially very little customisation (compared to Horizons).

They introduced traits near the end that would boost basic stats at landmark levels.
    EQ 2 is begining to sound like it sucks, the more I hear about it :|

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Thxs for the info Nemesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Play.com says my EQ2 order is at packing stage. So hopefully should have it by Friday.. :p

Nemesis wrote:
    They...the Euro servers will be based in Amsterdam so pings should be fine and dandy.

Nemesis

The English UK preferred server will be in the states as far as I know.

Nem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Ivan wrote:
    EQ 2 is begining to sound like it sucks, the more I hear about it :|

tbh as a pure PvE game it looks good. Though I would never personally play that style of game myself.

I guess you have to compare it to FFXI as far as PvE MMORPGs go. But since i've played neither, i'm hardly in a position to do so.

My main gripes and the reason I won't be playing this game is...

1) Run by SOE - i've already had horrible experiences with them and i have absolutely 0 faith in this company

2) PvE only. I just don't get the point in the endless leveling up. I guess i'm not a "role player" so the PvE can't be an end in itself for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I'm beginning to think EQ2 might be worth a look.
    I can understand SOE's decision of not having PVP, its never worked well in any MMORPG, and definately not one made by SOE.

I played SWG for a while, and I think it was pretty alright. There were some issues (I could live with the bugs etc, but the attitude of the CSR's, that I could not live with), so I think I know SOE, atleast a little bit.

However, it seems like a lot of things going into EQ2 is just so they won't run into the same problems they have in the past (well, im sure there are bugs in there, but hopefully they learnt something from the SWG release).
    Atleast they are trying, and who knows, they might just have come up with a good game that won't be overrun by griefing 14 year olds...

I've never been one for PVP btw, I like grouping up with a few friends and doing hard missions...

Anyways, I'm gonna see the reviews after its been out for a month or so... if it looks good I'll probably give it a go...

• Advertisement

if you want PvP the choice is simple WoW, EQ2 is the better PvE experience by far anyway.

On a side note the European designated server in EQ2 is called Runnyeye, there is also a french and german euro servers

Advertisement