Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eq II

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

those anyone know if gamespot or pcworld will have it on friday??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

muffen wrote:
    I'm beginning to think EQ2 might be worth a look.
    I can understand SOE's decision of not having PVP, its never worked well in any MMORPG, and definately not one made by SOE.

I played SWG for a while, and I think it was pretty alright. There were some issues (I could live with the bugs etc, but the attitude of the CSR's, that I could not live with), so I think I know SOE, atleast a little bit.

However, it seems like a lot of things going into EQ2 is just so they won't run into the same problems they have in the past (well, im sure there are bugs in there, but hopefully they learnt something from the SWG release).
    Atleast they are trying, and who knows, they might just have come up with a good game that won't be overrun by griefing 14 year olds...

I've never been one for PVP btw, I like grouping up with a few friends and doing hard missions...

Anyways, I'm gonna see the reviews after its been out for a month or so... if it looks good I'll probably give it a go...

pvp wrked very well in daoc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Game Henry street have EQ2 in stock, gamestop did not have it when I dropped in this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I saw eq2 in one of the shops. I presume the servers went up yesterday (friday)? Does anyone know if there was a playerwipe beforehand or will there be loads of high powered players dancing around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Players can't keep their characters from beta, so it's a fresh start. They'll know how to level faster but that's it.

• Advertisement

I went out and bought it today, I don't know anything about it (yeah I know). Are there any good sites to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Picked it up on Sat and Im up to lev11 so far. Its playing alot better than the beta was stability wise and seems less laggy. Some links below to get you started.....

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com

http://eq2.ogaming.com/db/index.php

http://eq2vault.ign.com

http://eq2.stratics.com

I'm lev 8 Priest. It would be nice to see some guild action since us priests need other players to... you know... hit stuff.

Thanks for the linkage.

Im a 15 Druid from Fridays start, name is Batbat ingame

Are you guys all on the Runnyeye the Euro server ?

Playing on Mistmore here but might make an alt on a different server for a laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Hi all 11 crusader on runnyeye server goes by the name of Gamill. Send me a /tell in game for a chat or if you want to hook up for some quest/groups etc...

cheers
    Joe90

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What server are most of you guys on? I just got the game yesterday and wondered what the best place to be is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

<goes into fanboy mode>

forgot eq2 all play wow instead!!!!! !11111!!

<exits fanboy mode>

hows the game by the way? any hopes of pvp yet?

PvP wont be in the game for the foreseeable future. Personally I think this is a very good move on SOE's part as every game since EQ has had PvP and have had nothing but problems and much lower sales and return income compared to EQ.

As a mmorpg EQ2 really is the dogs bollocks. Amazing GFX, music and sound effect really make it a joy to play. 1000's of quest's and some really fun ones as well totally keep you entertain and its scary to see the hours just slip away lol.

Leveling up seems much faster than EQ1 and Iv found there is always something for me to do in game which is such a relief after player SWG to the higher levels. So far I just haven't found anything to really complain about and this is also after 2 months in the beta not to mention I'm not bothered about replaying through content Iv just done two weeks ago which normally bugs the hell out of me :)

jomanji wrote:
    What server are most of you guys on? I just got the game yesterday and wondered what the best place to be is.

Everyone seems to be on different servers. I'm on Toxxulia which has worked out well because it's one of the newer ones so there's few big players. It's possible to be one of the top 10 players for you class in the newer servers, whereas one wouldn't have a hope in the older servers. Of course the new servers have the problem that all the good equipment isn't available yet because people are still working on their trade skills.

I was creating an alt today and I saw there's a server starting with F which I hadn't seen before and seemed to be showing low population. That might be newer than Toxxulia, not sure.

I really like the stats on your player you can see on the website btw (so you can see that you were the 100th Cleric to get to level 12, how many mobs you killed, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Drakar wrote:
    I really like the stats on your player you can see on the website btw (so you can see that you were the 100th Cleric to get to level 12, how many mobs you killed, etc).

I just realised now that you can do that. It's great, they even have the paper doll of your inventory!

Is there anyone here on the Everfrost server?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Runnyeye was the official Euro English speaking server.
    Now it is the Un-official one since they removed the (Euro/English prefered) tag.
    If you want to play on a server with mainly Europeans and do raids etc at reasonable hours join it.

There will be a new English Euro server (based in Amsterdam) in a couple of weeks and you will be allowed to move from Runnyeye to it.
    For me at least it will improve my connection and GM events , server downtime and customer service will be at european time instead of Pacific time.

DmonBabee Lev 17 Troll Warrior
    The Calling.

Runnyeye showed up as being full when I got the game over a week ago. I'm not sure if it would have shown up as being available for play if I'd been looking at a different time of day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

got it today wont play it till tomorow i know a decent bit about mmorpg played EQ/EVE/COH maybe a few others any specific pointers??

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I've played this game now for a couple of days... and I'm less than impressed, in fact I'm slightly disgusted at some points.

before you go WHAT! let me explain.

First off I install the game (I'm a little excited at this stage) then I finish, log in with my station account and then my face starts to drop... questionaire after questionaire of would I like to purchase this extra feature for $3 more and so on.. (I should be getting this crap for free anyway after forking out 45 yoyo's).. and would I be interested in paying $25 for all these other games... ehhh NO I just play the F'ing game im thinking at this stage.... after pages more of forms I finally get to the log on screen. BAM 45 minutes of dl'ing updates and wahaay I can log in ... woopie.... what a complete waste of time, I wasnt to know this then though.
    I join a server and create my character... I'm in finally! so off I go.
    It starts out with the training steps... on ship, learn this learn that... great its ok now... its looks amazing! I'm impressed and I'm starting to forget about the previous crap I had to go through.
    Then I get to the Island to start my training as a young refugee and make my way in the world. ok, what do I do... its all v.straightforward stuff, nice little missions and you get to interact with all the npc's and I get along ok doing the basic combat missions killing the goblins... then I start to notice the repetetive trend, go to A kill... go to b kill.. and so. I'm thinking at this stage, "nice single player game which I'm paying to play online here"
    There is no need for interactivity early on... except for when you have to kill the orc, which requires you to get other people to help out.. right so I do this and then after that they head off on there merry ways.

Anyway:

I finally make it the mainland and I'm told yet again.. go to a, b, c ,d... ohh and I'm told im been given a house!! excellent I thought... at the time. It ends up being a room in a tavern. A little info on the house, you can put furniture in it, you can trade once you have it... but you cant actually store anything in it or use it for anything else... a little pointless, emmm yes.
    to do anything in the game requires that you have to talk to npc's and get adventures... then you go do them.. thats it.. thats all there is to the game.

I just feel that there is soo much missing from this game... the players seem to have little or nothing else to do except this linear adventures... there is no real roleplay involved just hack n slash.

I wouldnt recommend this game to anyone seeking an rpg experience, I'd recommend going for a great free alternative and play neverwinter nights.. a nice persistant FREE world..

I might be a little harsh on this game as I might not have played it enough but this i what I saw and how far I got at the time of typing this.. game over.

• Advertisement

This I would generally agree with, though if someone is looking for an RPG, don't look at any of the large MMOGs out there. I didn't see roleplay in WoW or DaoC. There is a role playing server, but I haven't been on it to be honest. I'd imagine if you are in a game like this, the reason would be because you want to work together with team mates to defeat a common enemy or whatever. If you don't want to join a guild, or if you want to solo all the time this game (or any MMOG I'd imagine) is a waste of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Drakar wrote:
    This I would generally agree with, though if someone is looking for an RPG, don't look at any of the large MMOGs out there. I didn't see roleplay in WoW or DaoC. There is a role playing server, but I haven't been on it to be honest. I'd imagine if you are in a game like this, the reason would be because you want to work together with team mates to defeat a common enemy or whatever. If you don't want to join a guild, or if you want to solo all the time this game (or any MMOG I'd imagine) is a waste of your money.
    Yep ... spot on ... its about team play. If there is no-one in my guild at my level available for doing quests co-operatively I just go and make some stuff (how do you lose 140hp's making some rawhide I'll never know :o ) until people show up .... there are some big guilds (I'm in fallen legion - Freeport - Steamfont server) that usually have several people that are similar levels to you .....
    Things to note:
    1. Priests are a pain in the ass sometimes ... dont use minor arch heal on a group member, a lot of the mobs will jump all over you if you are in a group and you cast it ... instead use lots of smaller heals.
    2. Dont try to solo something thats name is white with two arrows pointing up above it, and if you are brave (stupid) enough then read number 3.
    3. If you are going to get killed and there is no sign of the mob dying do a runner so that when you do die (if you get away its a plus) the damn mob isnt standing on top of your spirit (and then killing you again when you try to get it :eek: )
    4. Its takes 500+ kills to get the tag "Hunter of.....". (explains why sometimes you'll see groups of high level players racing around newb areas killing everything in sight) ... in freeport there is a poster on a pole near execution plaza that shows your kills for each of the major mob types
    5. Leading on from 4 ..... if you do get in a group that is mostly way higher level than you ...and your all racing around killing everything you will get no credit for kills as well as no xp (even though the mobs would have been white or yellow to you without the group) .... but this is handy for getting quests done that you wouldnt have had a hope with otherwise
    6. Buy apprentice level 2 of each of your skills ... or get someone in your guild to make level 3 ones as soon as you can, you become way more powerful... Adept skills drop from mobs and are very rare, if you get one use it or hold onto it and try to do a swap for one that you want.
    7. Its fricking hard saving money, make sure you have good bags (6 slot or 8 slot) and dont leave any loot behind you ... it all adds up.

No doubt others have tips as well ..... :)

Sorry but one more thing I forgot to mention that really bugs me aswell is the server thing... I went and created a character on one server to find that I've 2 friends on another server... cant transfer my character(not that I'm aware of anyway) and so I've to create another character... tis a little silly if ya ask me.

zekiel wrote:
    Sorry but one more thing I forgot to mention that really bugs me aswell is the server thing... I went and created a character on one server to find that I've 2 friends on another server... cant transfer my character(not that I'm aware of anyway) and so I've to create another character... tis a little silly if ya ask me.

Er no its not silly. Each server is completly different to another and what happens on one will not effect what happens to the other. Like it only takes you 3-4 hours to level up to 10 with both hallmark and city quest done so its no to big a deal. EQ2 is not really going to be fun for you considering the last few posts you have made. I dont think you have played a mmorpg before and may either need to adapt or move onto a different style of game as the game is never going to offer the things you seem to be seeking.

That not really the case venom, I've played UO (for a long time, but its too old now), Planetside, Star wars, EVE online (which I've been playing since week 1 and still play) and lineage 2 from beta up till recently.
    I thought I'd give EQ2 a go as I'm looking for an alternative Fantasy world setting.. I like the idea of playing on in conjunction with EVE so I get the best of both genre's.
    Its the initial aspects of EQ2 that just got to me... perhaps I'm missing the direction I need to better understand the game and enjoy it I dont know.. I've a few more weeks before i have to start caughing up €15 a month. Time will tell.
    I figure WOW may be the game I'm seeking then again it may not.. I dunno.

Im afraid you can't transfer characters between servers in WoW either. I don't think you can do it with any of the main games that implement servers. To be honest I think this is good, because it stops people switching servers just to be on the richest one, or to sell stuff etc.

On a side note, if you want to make money just do the wholesaler missions, and buy the stuff from the market downstairs. Normally someone is selling what you want and it's 12s a go.

zekiel wrote:

Try checking with your friends in future so you know what server theyre playing on, its only common sense, also you can always reroll on your friends server

Gizzard wrote:
    Try checking with your friends in future so you know what server theyre playing on, its only common sense, also you can always reroll on your friends server

Geez I never thought of that.. thanks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Anyone on the Oggok server?
    Myself and two more people I know are playing there, we're level 16/17.

• Advertisement
Advertisement