Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Game for Winter Festival - Thurs 21st 7 pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Davey Devil, Ger, Musician & Spiritus did a deal and took 120 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

So the read on that hand is either a 4 to make a full Hse or any Heart to make a A high flush.
    Guessing a 4 to make a full hse? Rivered it Dev???!!! ;p
    Only j/k the 44's (disregarding the 3% :D) where ahead from the get go.

?:|
    ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Nah, what the guys are refering to is that there was a lot of speech play going on in that hand between Careca and I.

I thought I had a decent read on Neil but I was far from sure of it so I stayed in the pot to see where it went and I was intending on pushing him off the pot so I flat called (tiwce) to start to set up a bluff later on, particularly if a heart fell.

What I didnt know was that he'd flopped the nuts and had the Ace of hearts for the nut flush draw and a shot at a royal flush. For all my psychobabble and messin' I was drawing dead to two cards, and one hit on the river!

What was interesting from my pov was that it seemed to me the whole table was affected by the hand *except* Neil and to a lesser extent me! Neil was philosophical and really saw the funny side of it with me, while everyone else seemed a bit put out by it (and I was needleling for all I was worth!).

All I'll say is that I wasnt playing for a 4.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

DeVore wrote:
    All I'll say is that I wasnt playing for a 4.

sure why would ya want to!? you had a made hand preflop!!
    :rolleyes:

seriously though, would have been so much more fun if you were both all in preflop just to see Neil strangle you when you hit the river!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

LOL Dev on the other end of a bad beat story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D somebody make a note of the date time etc. :p

**feck i'm probably banned now**
    ]:) :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah, its about time I dished one out! What was funnier was Spiritus's reaction to the whole hand, I think I'm off his christmas card list :):)

Careca was very level headed about it, I'd probably have been cursing though there was only about 3K in the pot each so it didnt hurt too bad.
    I was (uncharacteristically) playing mind games and didnt realise I was about to step out into the path of an oncoming truck when the 4 saved me...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Haha, poor Spiritus, he looked like a kid who'd been told Santa wasn't real.

Thanks again Brian good night's poker. Thanks to DeV for suggesting the cash game. Came out with over €200 in profit, although it was at 7:30 am when I finished up. Once I start I just can't stop.

I recommend an all-nighter in The Fitz to anyone, the comments at the table just get insane with the tiredness setting in. Even poor old Margaret was falling asleep at the table. Solid Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

DeVore wrote:
    Nah, what the guys are refering to is that there was a lot of speech play going on in that hand between Careca and I.

I thought I had a decent read on Neil but I was far from sure of it so I stayed in the pot to see where it went and I was intending on pushing him off the pot so I flat called (tiwce) to start to set up a bluff later on, particularly if a heart fell.

What I didnt know was that he'd flopped the nuts and had the Ace of hearts for the nut flush draw and a shot at a royal flush. For all my psychobabble and messin' I was drawing dead to two cards, and one hit on the river!

DeV.

Have to give my view on events. First of all, great game. Some really good play all round. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

On the hand in question, I raised preflop and Tom called fairly quickly so I immediately put him on high cards, more than likely connected. After the flop (magical for me) I bet again and this time Tom took ages to call and was doing some trash talking (which I enjoy). When he called I put him on QJ or KQ and thought he was just worried about the flush. when the other Q came on the turn, I was worried. I was convinced Tom was going to check/raise and I didn't want to walk into a monster (hindsight is a great thing). Obviously it was the 4 on the river that killed me.

I was happy with two things. Firstly, Tom had no read whatsoever on me (even after all the trash talk) as he thought I had none of the flop. Secondly, I was amazed at myself that I just flat called his small bet after the river. The old me would have been all-in in a shot.

Good hand to be involved in. Thanks Muso for good night.

Aye, my mistake was that I completely read you wrong. Once I had decided that you could be taken off the pot I started to create a multi stage bluff (hence the flat call which I reckoned would scare you a little). At that stage I'd basically forgotten about my 44's as I was trying to give the impression I had KQ or QJ (nice to know I at least achieved that much). The second queen is a GODSEND to me because I'm pretty sure you have me on a Q (what with the "I've hit some of that, you know" trash talk. I'm hoping you now have me on trips or a house, so here comes the big bet on the riv.... oh fook thats a 4! Now what do I do, I've fluked a house and set you up to be scared off by a big bet. Great, me and my big mouth! I cant bet big because even though I have a stealth house, there is a REALLY OBVIOUS house on the board. Hoist by my own petard!

I put you on AK with at least one heart. When you check the turn I know you dont have two hearts. All your talk of it being the scariest flop in holdem made me think you wanted me to be scared of the flop and hence havent got as much of it as you'd like!

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement