Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lights

Options
  • 18-10-2004 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

This may have been raised before but its worth it again. What is the crack with idiots driving around with their fog lights on when there ain't no fog? An absolute pain in the a**.... was almost blinded by some gobs***e yesterday !!!!!!! Whats the point is it cool or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Just a**holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Have to admit its a bit annoying, they're called fog lights....use them when its foggy....but I do think that it makes a car look more racy (sorry i know, its sad)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Always some idiot in a Micra too.
    Lights do not make cars 'racy'. Pink chiffon and fish-net stockings maybe....

Sleipnir wrote:
    Always some idiot in a Micra too.
    Lights do not make cars 'racy'. Pink chiffon and fish-net stockings maybe....
    Admittedly it depends on the car....& if they're low slung n wide set

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Really irritating....
    I reckon these idiots see a button with a picture of a light on it, go 'it's dark and that's a light - I better turn it on!' and hey presto!

• Advertisement

I presume we are talkin bout front fog lights.....cause havin rear ones on when they're not needed must be about the most annoying and dangerous thing a driver can do.

fletch wrote:
    I presume we are talkin bout front fog lights.....cause havin rear ones on when they're not needed must be about the most annoying and dangerous thing a driver can do.

That's usually someone who pushed every button when they bought the car in 1993 and it's been on ever since.
    I dunno why rear-fogs don't all switch off automatically when the engine is turned off.
    The civic does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JamesB

:o And why is it always fords ? Especially the focus that has the rear fog light on. it is *SO* annoying and the thing is the person driving the car is ALWAYS not in the very least bit aware of the PAIN and ANNOYANCE she/he is causing other drivers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

Sleipnir wrote:
    T
    I dunno why rear-fogs don't all switch off automatically when the engine is turned off.
    The civic does that.

All my lights switch off when my engine is off, But then again i'm usually stationary at that point and in the house, so wouldn't be annoying with my fogs.

All my lights switch off when my engine is off, But then again i'm usually stationary at that point and in the house, so wouldn't be annoying with my fogs.

No, no.
    I mean, if I switch on my rear fog light while I'm driving along and then switch the engine off, when I start the car again, the fog light won't be on again.
    i.e. It switches off automatically, and stay off until I hit the button again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

Ahh - i know what you mean. Kinda like my steroe is always fecked up when my missus has been in the car, seems to reset to some sh*t channel like 106 talk fm ar som sh**te.

However. Fog lamps that are then sourounded by the strange aura of them crappy undercar blue strips,

LOL

micra drivers, :-) bless em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have no objection to front fog lights being on day or night.
    Rear fog lights are another matter entirely.
    They are hard on the eyes and operate at the same bightness as brake lights (21w). The type of driver who goes around with their rear fogs on needlessly also co-incidentally drive at less than optimum speed. This means as you approach the to overtake the lights are bright enough to be a real safety hazard. They are so bright, depending on the design of the car, they can make it hard to distinguish when the brake lights come on and a rear end accident could easily occur.

Anyone who leaves their rear fogs on when not required probably do so because they do not know how to operate the basic controls of their car. If the don't know the significance of the glowing orange light on the dash, it could mean anything, low oil, brake warning, alternator not charging, ash-tray full, knotted furry dice etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Hagar wrote:
    I have no objection to front fog lights being on day or night.
    Rear fog lights are another matter entirely.
    They are hard on the eyes and operate at the same bightness as brake lights (21w). The type of driver who goes around with their rear fogs on needlessly also co-incidentally drive at less than optimum speed. This means as you approach the to overtake the lights are bright enough to be a real safety hazard. They are so bright, depending on the design of the car, they can make it hard to distinguish when the brake lights come on and a rear end accident could easily occur.

Anyone who leaves their rear fogs on when not required probably do so because they do not know how to operate the basic controls of their car. If the don't know the significance of the glowing orange light on the dash, it could mean anything, low oil, brake warning, alternator not charging, ash-tray full, knotted furry dice etc etc.

Here here. Now that's a proper viewpoint.

There's another reason for using fog lights when it's not foggy that I myself buy into - driving country roads (60mph ones that will barely fit 2 cars) at night -> helps you keep an eye out for animals or, God forbid, pedestrians.
    I myself think plenty of cars look better with fog lights on than off but I appreciate how they can be way too bright especially if being tailgated. I drive with mine off unless I deem it necessary to turn them on.

However, your so quick to criticse drivers suffering from small-car syndrome - I reckon the proportion of drivers with wrongly adjusted lights is higher than it was a few years ago and IMO they're worse. This is like driving with full lights on all the time. I'm sure people will say it's the same as fogs but not so. Fogs depend on the car and the level they're at.

What are you supposed to do if some eejit has 1 light blinding you but all he can see on his dash (presuming his looking) is dipped headlights?

Out of interest do many of you check your own lights regularly? I keep an eye on mine in the reflection of 'straight' boots ahead of me in traffic and check them periodically at home.

Anyway, all I'm saying is fogs don't qualify as something you should get so stressed about...there's an awful lot worse on our roads. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

i was about to come on and say pretty much the exacy same as Hagar and Bri,no point in reiterating everything but front fogs i dont see the prob with, rear fogs yes they annoy the hell out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd agree with Bri, on country roads front fogs can be very useful and far less of a hindrance to other drivers than badly adjusted headlights or muppets who drive with their full beams on, even when other cars are approaching.

BUT what is it with the F**k-wits (normally in Micras) who drive around urban, well light, areas with their side lights and fog lights on in the dead of night rather than just using their dipped headlights. No, it's not cool - just annoying - particularly as from a distance it makes it impossible to figure out what is heading towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Bri wrote:
    .... stuff about driving on country roads

Couldnt agree more, so handy on back roads, tight twisting corners and stuff.

As regards comming against someone with their fogs on, it causes me no bother at all, i dont see the problem as it doesnt blind or annoy me. Sure in some instances it is pointless, but i fail to see the problem.....

Advertisement