Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carpenter

Options
  • 18-10-2004 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Need a carpenter to fix doors which are stuck. Not an easy shave with a plane ..

Anyone got any recommendations?

Maeve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Maeve wrote:
    Not an easy shave with a plane ..

Maeve

Why so?

& what area you in?

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Maeve

There are two doors affected. When you look at the doors .. they appear to be hung properly (even etc). But at the top there is a fair chunk crooked. I tried to sand it down but didn't have much look with a plane. Was afraid I'd wreak the door .. taking so much off to make it even

In Dublin 15

If there is that much to be removed from the doors I suspect movement in the door frame. It may be more important to find out the cause of this movement first.

I suspect Victor may drop by here later and give his expert views.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Maeve

When I was buying the house the surveyor pointed out that the two doors needed to be fixed. Maybe it is just that I do not have the correct equipment. Lets face it, I'm not a DIY queen :) Although I try my best!!

It doesn't look madly out of shape .. just there is about half an inch at the top right hand corner of the door. I can't take it off with the tools I have (a plane bought in Lidl).

I don't think there is any major movement in the house. I think the surveyor would have noticed it if there was. He was pretty detailed in his analysis

Maeve

Not a problem then by the sound of it. Just a handy man needed to put it right.

But in this day and age a recommendation is usually necessary.

Anyone?

Cal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Remove door from hinges. Plane / sand (electric sander much better). Apply undercoat. Rehang. Repaint.

Advertisement