Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Breeze without external antenna - is it possible?

• 18-10-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Guys,

I think I like the service a lot, but living in an apartment block often excludes the possibility of grid antennas and basically any externally installed stuff.

Hence my question: is it possible to get IBB Breeze service with some kind of internal antenna? So far I've heard only of Ripwave, but with its horrible pings and 512k it doesn't interest me as much.

Any more options/opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

the difference between breeze and ripwave is that
    breeze requires line of sight.

you would have to be able to see the mast from the
    window you want to put it in.

what ever about IBB letting you put the mast indoors, the
    line of sight thing is a definate must! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The new 3.5GHz ripwave stuff has a far stronger signal, so you should (in theory at least) be getting better latency

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you need the external aerial on your roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Lemming wrote:
    The new 3.5GHz ripwave stuff has a far stronger signal, so you should (in theory at least) be getting better latency
    Latency on the 3.5GHz Ripwave is basically the same as it was on the 2.4GHz Ripwave. The latency seems to have something to do with the signal processing that is done to handle the reflected signal, and doesn't appear to be improved by power or other external conditions. You could sit 100 metres from the Ripave antenna, with clear line of sight, and the underlying latency would still be about 90ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

A mate of mine had a problem like that only with Sky Digital. He moved into a new apartment and the landlord of the building has a strict rule in the contract that No wired could be installed and noting like attached to the buliding such as a dish. The main reason for this was bcos the landlord had given the a contract to some micky mouse company to be incharge or the telephone (so not eircom) and also the televistion.

Anyway he came up with this clever little idea with the Sky Installer and they ended up putting the dish on a tripod thingy on his balcony so it wasnt actually attached to anything, SUCCESS! Landlord couldnt say a thing cos it wasnt attached to anything or any major cables installed through the building so it's all roses now!

Long story short just see can ya do the same with irish broadband if you have a balcony or anything.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement